Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2019, 07:14 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Locating Roof Ribs

I have a 2005 Winnebago Vectra with a tired basement air conditioner. It just doesn't keep up any more when it is 95+ degrees outside. I want to add a rooftop unit, but I don't want to give up my Fantastic Fan which many appear to have done. I'm following this guy's lead from many years ago:

Supplemental Roof Air Conditioners - Winnebago Owners Online Community

Needless to say, I don't want to put a 14" square hole in my roof without first knowing where the roof ribs are. I understand they are "...approximately 22" apart...," but that information is only partly helpful. A stud finder is useless. There are no visible seams where roof paneling could be a clue. Probing through existing ceiling light and vent holes hasn't been any help.

What's your recommendation for locating the exact positioning for each of the roof ribs in a 2005 Vectra 40FD?

Thanks!

\ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2019, 07:24 AM   #2

I would try a small metal detector that can pinpoint the locations.

https://www.amazon.com/Zircon-Metall...%2C155&sr=8-13#
Old 09-23-2019, 07:28 AM   #3

A decent quality stud finder is really a density tester. It just senses more density than the surrounding area. It should be able to find them.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:31 AM   #4

Email Winnebago. They'll send you drawings of the roof.

I have my drawings. I have 4 total roof "ribs". They are just flat sheet metal placed vertically between some of the foam sheets. Plenty of other stuff to avoid besides the ribs in the drawings.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:33 AM   #5

Have you had the unit checked to make sure both compressors are kicking in? I have a 2000 Winnebago Adventurer 35u with basement air and live in South Florida (hot as hell and humid). My basement air is almost 20 years old and keeps up with both compressors. Check the startup capacitors, if one is bad you're only running one. Might save you from opening a new hole.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.
billfelicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:35 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You should also check to make sure that you aren't losing all of your cold air through leaks at the joints of the ducting coming out of the A/C unit and up behind the rear cap. It's very common for the aluminum tape on those joints to come loose over the years. I've had to re-tape mine several times.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:02 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks, guys. I appreciate all of the tips. The basement AC and all of the ducting is fine -- I'm just looking for ideas on locating the exact position of each of the roof ribs in my coach.

Thanks!

\ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:31 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
Thanks, guys. I appreciate all of the tips. The basement AC and all of the ducting is fine -- I'm just looking for ideas on locating the exact position of each of the roof ribs in my coach.

Thanks!

\ken
Contact Winnebago--they should be able to supply you with the necessary drawings.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:41 PM   #9

Location: Land of high fuel prices and lousy roads; Kalifornia
I have recently acquired a 2007 coach that came with basement air. The previous owner replaced it with 2 roof top units. The roof top units work pretty well, but are really loud. I wish my coach still had the basement air.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:04 AM   #10

Garret makes a hand held pin pointer .if they are metal it will find them.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:22 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Hey guys:

The solution was actually quite simple. The roof ribs on my coach are "T" shaped steel, with the broad top of the "T" immediately under the over superfluity of a deluxe 1/8" piece of plywood covered with a fashionable fiberglass membrane [<--- saracasm].

Regardless, all I needed was a magnet ... And bingo! Just like that, the location of every roof rib is now marked on the roof with a dot from the tip of a Sharpie!

Thanks for all your help! WooHoo! \ken
Old 09-25-2019, 08:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
I have a 2005 Winnebago Vectra with a tired basement air conditioner. It just doesn't keep up any more when it is 95+ degrees outside. I want to add a rooftop unit, but I don't want to give up my Fantastic Fan which many appear to have done. I'm following this guy's lead from many years ago:

Supplemental Roof Air Conditioners - Winnebago Owners Online Community

Needless to say, I don't want to put a 14" square hole in my roof without first knowing where the roof ribs are. I understand they are "...approximately 22" apart...," but that information is only partly helpful. A stud finder is useless. There are no visible seams where roof paneling could be a clue. Probing through existing ceiling light and vent holes hasn't been any help.

What's your recommendation for locating the exact positioning for each of the roof ribs in a 2005 Vectra 40FD?

Thanks!

\ken
I have a 04 vectra and have checked for roof for support. The roof is thin sheet of fiber glass plywood foam and some more plywood with some metal strips to attach walls and cabinets . I personally would use the fan opening because the Wall would take some of the weight . Over time and years some of the glue gives away and the ceiling becomes weaker .I just had 3 ceiling panels replaced at Winne for around 10 grand .
cclerk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, roof