Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2019, 08:16 AM   #1

Location of Fuses 2003 Winnebago Journey DL

Does anyone know where the fuses are for the motorhome to car hookup. I have no running lights or brake lights from the motorhome to the car when towing 4 wheels down. I do however have directionals and flashers. All the light work on the motorhome properly but not from Motorhome to car. As I said above I have a 2003 Winnebago Journey DL. I talked to Winnebago and they can not tell me where they are.
rgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2019, 01:14 PM   #2

rgriff-

Go to the left rear of the coach. There should be a ventilated panel there. It is aft of the rearmost storage bay. Look at the lower edge of that panel, and the front edge, for retainer screws. Remove the screws. Pivot the panel upward on its hinge. Place a prop under the panel, so you can work under it. Go to the back of the space the panel covers. Look for a 6 by 6 plastic fuse box. The fuses are in there.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 03:24 PM   #3

Location of fuses 2003 Winnebago Journey DL

Sir when you say left side is that the passenger or driver side? Thanks for your help.
Old 09-17-2019, 03:41 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Driver side rear panel.

Take a look at this thread, has some photos...

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/separate-fuse-box-location-for-trailer-hitch-wiring-does-it-exist-179120.html

emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:17 PM   #5

Fuse location 2003 Winnebago Journey DL.

Well I opened both sides rear of the motorhome and in the power cord department and no Power Distribution Box. I was told by Winnebago it was in those locations also but nothing. If anyone out there has a 2003 Winnebago Journey DL please reply to this thread. The pictures the previous post had me look at has no resemblance to what my bay looks like. My next place to look is under the bed. Please help.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgriff View Post
Well I opened both sides rear of the motorhome and in the power cord department and no Power Distribution Box. I was told by Winnebago it was in those locations also but nothing. If anyone out there has a 2003 Winnebago Journey DL please reply to this thread. The pictures the previous post had me look at has no resemblance to what my bay looks like. My next place to look is under the bed. Please help.
rgriff,
The pictures you saw in the link were mine. Also, the "Trailer Plug Fuses" labeling is something I did, not Winne or Itasca. The box of fuses you're looking for, should, I say SHOULD be located inside that louvered panel, and way down low, in a recess. Now, I'm speaking from experience with our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP.

You do not say WHICH DL you're dealing with, a 36', 39' or what? I hesitate to say that all Winne and Itasca diesels of that era are the same because, there are differences. But, the location of those trailer plug fuses should be in the same spot, on most of them. No guaranty here.

When I located those fuses, as stated, they are mounted the lowest of three components in that area. Well, my thought was that, if I ever needed to replace a fuse, while out on the road, I was not going to fight trying to access that fuse box, that far down in the lineup. So, I yanked all three components and, re-aligned all of them and mounted that trailer plug box, up high, so I had way more easy access to it, if and when needed. I also put the labels on it you see. So, take a look again in that area. Those louvered panels do not lift like a regular compartment door. They are held in place with screws.

Once the screws are out, you can tip those louvered doors up, almost 180 degrees. You can tape them up with duct tape or whatever. Then, you should be able to locate that trailer plug fuse box. Based on year and design, you might find the Trans TCM and one other electrical box, besides the trailer plug box. Let us know if you find it.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000546.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	300.1 KB
ID:	260789   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000547.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	323.7 KB
ID:	260790  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000551.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	346.0 KB
ID:	260791   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000557.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	260792  

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 04:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Well I opened both sides rear of the motorhome and in the power cord department and no Power Distribution Box. I was told by Winnebago it was in those locations also but nothing. If anyone out there has a 2003 Winnebago Journey DL please reply to this thread. The pictures the previous post had me look at has no resemblance to what my bay looks like.
It is not clear from this post that you opened the ventilated panel, per post #2. Did you?
Old 09-18-2019, 05:18 PM   #8

Yes I opened both ventilated doors on both sides. One is the front dash air fans and radiator the other is the basement air. I have a 36ft with CAT diesel.
I guess I am not sure how big this box is that holds fuses really is. I do know Freightliner installs the tow power They call it the power distribution box. They let the motorhome manufacture put were they want to. Need to have consistency.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Yes I opened both ventilated doors on both sides. One is the front dash air fans and radiator the other is the basement air. I have a 36ft with CAT diesel.
I guess I am not sure how big this box is that holds fuses really is. I do know Freightliner installs the tow power They call it the power distribution box. They let the motorhome manufacture put were they want to. Need to have consistency.
rgriff,
Just for grins, I have one more place for you to look. Although normally that "distribution box" is where mine is, it is possible it might be located inside your shore power compartment. Only, you might have to remove a panel to see it. Something in the back of this old worn out mind of mine might remember something about maybe, it's possible that it could be in that compartment. If you open the shore power compartment, and look to your immediate right, is there a panel there that can be removed? If so, take a few minutes, remove it, and see what's behind it. Just a guess here.
Scott

On edit: Also, even before you look in that compartment, lay down and look under that shore power compartment and see if there's a group of wiring looms, that maybe head into that compartment but, when you open the compartment door, those looms are not there. That would indicate you have a "secret" compartment inside that shore power compartment.

On second edit:
Take a look at this thead and pics. It might confirm my suspicions.
Scott

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/repo...ney-73279.html
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:43 PM   #10

I give up I will have to let an expert find it. I will still let everybody know what I find and where.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:21 PM   #11

rgriff-

I almost forgot the other method of finding the fuse box- turn on the hazard switch, then walk around, listening for the directional relays.

It'll be a help to "the next guy" once you let us know where the fuses are. Thanks for that!
Old 09-21-2019, 06:55 AM   #12

The relay for hazard is under dashboard by drivers seat. No fuses there except for leveling system.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:07 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Location of Fuses 2003 Winnebago Journey DL

My DL 03 fuses to the towing plug were under the metal bed access panels to the engine. (North south facing bed) remove the cover , I think the forward one , then the box was on the frame rail beside/ above the engine. It was a pita to get to and nobody knew where they were. Not sure what length and floor plan you have but that was mine on my 36’
Old 09-21-2019, 09:21 AM   #14

Look in the electric bay right side metal panel cover with screws behind panel

Tags
cat, fuse, fuses, journey, winnebago