RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2019, 06:38 PM   #15

That HOUSE 12VDC Panel with circuit breakers IS you DC Dist Panel

Although NOT labeled...Water Heater DC comes from one of those DC Circuit Breakers

Short the WH DC and see which one trips. (water heater only needs 2A)
But then you loose everything else on that circuit

Remove Ground Wire on Gas Valve Bracket...tape it off
No Ground...No workie

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2019, 08:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
My Coach a 2019 Sunstar 29VE is proof the Winnebago manuals are Generic or in some cases flat out wrong. It is really bad for a newbie that actually tries to read the thing. In my case, I have two manuals. One that come with the coach, and the pdf that was sent by Winnebago while they send me the supposed new corrected manual book.

Regardless, neither one of the manuals tell you were the Fuse box is. They both suggest it may be with the Converter panel and somewhere in the coach. Scheeeeezce!!!! Picture they show have fuse box right next to breakers, but see my pictures (Only breakers). I even took the dinette bench apart. I could see the converter box sitting behind the breaker panels. I have looked everywhere for that Fuse box and I just can't find it. Wherever it is, it is not intuitive at all. Maybe this is why it is not in the manual if that the Technical Writer couldn't find it either?

I appreciate your help but at the moment the Post it note option is winning But hey I am willing to try. This is why I am doing all of this now to learn my coach before I have true issues. Let's leave the brown wire for last. There has to be a fuse box somewhere.
Based on the two above pictures, is it possible that my coach does not have 12VDC fuses rather 12V Breakers?

These Winnebago owners manuals are proven to be useless. How can ANY RV manual not tell you where the Fuses are or in my case that possibly there are no Fuses?

This is same frustration I had when I simply wanted to drain the water tank. The fact that there is no valve and I must pump out is not an issuer, itr was the process to learn that, now I am going down same rat hole trying to find out if my coach uses 12V breakers and No 12V fuses?

BTW, if there are no fuses and only breakers, I do not see a 12V breaker for water heater. Even if I did there is no way I know to manually trip the breaker?

Old 12-09-2019, 09:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
That HOUSE 12VDC Panel with circuit breakers IS you DC Dist Panel

Although NOT labeled...Water Heater DC comes from one of those DC Circuit Breakers

Short the WH DC and see which one trips. (water heater only needs 2A)
But then you loose everything else on that circuit

Remove Ground Wire on Gas Valve Bracket...tape it off
No Ground...No workie
Wow another undocumented feature or benefit to my coach? No water tank drain valve and now no fuses or fuse box for the House batteries? That is great if you ask me, I rather push a reset button than replace a fuse.

I am not sure of safest way to short the water heater? It is new and I don't wish to do anything to void the warranty. Even if we figure which one reset breaker it is; if it locks out something else, it defeats the purpose.

Looks like removing ground wire (Black wire in picture) may have to come into play? I may fill it back up with water ensure all is working and then disconnect the ground to see if it will turn on or not? If it works, I could almost get a simple switch to connect the ground inside the heater cabinet for easy repeat use, but I better wait until after warranty expires before doing that ?
Old 12-09-2019, 10:37 PM   #18

No filling of WH Tank required

Remove Gas Valve Ground wire (Black Wire)
Turn WH Switch ON..........spark electrode will fire and that ALL that will occur

Gas Valve solenoids will NOT open gas valve because there is NOT a completed circuit thru them
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Wow another undocumented feature or benefit to my coach? No water tank drain valve and now no fuses or fuse box for the House batteries? That is great if you ask me, I rather push a reset button than replace a fuse.

I am not sure of safest way to short the water heater? It is new and I don't wish to do anything to void the warranty. Even if we figure which one reset breaker it is; if it locks out something else, it defeats the purpose.

Looks like removing ground wire (Black wire in picture) may have to come into play? I may fill it back up with water ensure all is working and then disconnect the ground to see if it will turn on or not? If it works, I could almost get a simple switch to connect the ground inside the heater cabinet for easy repeat use, but I better wait until after warranty expires before doing that ?
I just replaced the gas solenoid valve on my Mom's Suburban water heater. There is a brown wire (positive) that connects to the solenoid valve via a spade connection. There is also a black (negative) wire connected to the other side of the solenoid. Pulling either wire will keep the valves from functioning.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
No filling of WH Tank required

Remove Gas Valve Ground wire (Black Wire)
Turn WH Switch ON..........spark electrode will fire and that ALL that will occur

Gas Valve solenoids will NOT open gas valve because there is NOT a completed circuit thru them
Well all I needed was a mud frog and a old biscuit and I can conquer the world Removing the black wire is what I will do in the future to truly lock out my water heater. Post It note will not be needed.

See picture of wire removed. So if I ever feel that I need to drain the hot water tank, while opened, I will remove the ground wire before closing. Then I will turn on the bypass; so no new water goes to the tank.

For kicks, I turned off the bypass, filled it back with water and reconnected the ground wire. I had hot water in less than 15 minutes.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:57 PM   #21

Picture with Black wire disconnected and hot water heater disabled from Switch inside coach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191210_163338.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	269141  
Old 12-10-2019, 09:21 PM   #22
tcg

How many people are entering your RV that might turn on your hot water?

I have a horrible memory and leave notes everywhere.

I have a note taped to the hot water switch on the inside of the RV that says Bypassed Do Not Turn On.

I have a note on my dinette table reminding me what I need to do in the spring to dewinterize.

It would be nice to disable the switch but honestly I like to keep it simple. Plus if I disabled the switch or the tank by removing a wire I'd still have to leave myself notes otherwise I'd spend the first 3 days out of storage trying to figure out why my hot water wasn't working.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:09 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
How many people are entering your RV that might turn on your hot water?

I have a horrible memory and leave notes everywhere.

I have a note taped to the hot water switch on the inside of the RV that says Bypassed Do Not Turn On.

I have a note on my dinette table reminding me what I need to do in the spring to dewinterize.

It would be nice to disable the switch but honestly I like to keep it simple. Plus if I disabled the switch or the tank by removing a wire I'd still have to leave myself notes otherwise I'd spend the first 3 days out of storage trying to figure out why my hot water wasn't working.
Honestly, I think it is only only person who might realistically turn on hot water heater which is me. But if I got cute and travel I could see it get turned on mistake by my wife or kids. The note would stop all of that. But disabling the switch (in my case the black wire) is very simple. I would have done the brown wire but it is behind the solenoid and hard to get to.

Since you have to open panel to remove plug, why not go ahead and remove that screw at the same time? Old Biscuit & Mud Frog were right and they gave me the courage to try. It is a new coach and I am a newbie and I wa reluctant to fool with any of the wires, but at the end of the day, if you must drain the tank, IMO the heaters should have a simple switch disable switch in the panel to turn off. I will see if I can buy a on/off switch an put inline with the ground connector? Then simple becomes just too easy.

I will not worry about the note for this case anymore. I flipped that inside switch a few times and no harm was done. In fact the red Pilot light stayed on to tell me it was a problem. The only problem was the switched needed to be turned off.

Related: I found a stretchable orange lanyard cord that I was able to wrap around my Steering wheel. It lets me know that I am plugged into some external source. I will only remove it when I confirm all is clear.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:39 AM   #24

Below is switch I am considering. I think if I buy Switch I will put on the Brown incoming brown wire.

What I hesitant on, is whether a switch like this would melt in that panel box when heater is on. and/or if water / moisture would become a problem?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CARLING-TEC...YAAOSwTyhdIcv5
Old 12-11-2019, 09:38 AM   #25

Quote:
Below is switch I am considering. I think if I buy Switch I will put on the Brown incoming brown wire.

What I hesitant on, is whether a switch like this would melt in that panel box when heater is on. and/or if water / moisture would become a problem?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CARLING-TEC...YAAOSwTyhdIcv5
Just throwing this out as an idea.

I doubt the amp draw is much so I imagine just about any SPST switch will work. If you get one with screw terminals, then you can attach the existing black wire's ring connector straight to it without having to cut and splice. You could get a short piece of black wire with ring connectors at both ends to connect between the original grounding screw and the switch. Being the black (negative) wire, there'd be no worry of anything shorting to ground either. You could also make a little bracket to mount the switch if you're looking to get a clean looking set up. Heat on the switch should not be an issue.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:10 AM   #26

I find a piece of tape or post it note works well enough for the people who come in my mh.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:04 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
I find a piece of tape or post it note works well enough for the people who come in my mh.
Yeah I know. But someone told me to find an RV I like, and then make it mine

I know it may be overkill, but it is also safety. I am sure if it were ever turned on it would be an accident not intended by user (namely myself ) but this is just too simple not to do. If I drain the hot water heater, I will always disconnect the ground. If I can find a switch and not require a screwdriver the better.

Last night it got down to 32 degrees in Dallas. I had the tank full of water and heater on. The Wet bay on the same coach only got to 39 degrees. I don't know what the temp was around the inputs for the water heater? I am told if Hot water tank is on, then it will not freeze.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:10 AM   #28

Quote:
Yeah I know. But someone told me to find an RV I like, and then make it mine

I know it may be overkill, but it is also safety. I am sure if it were ever turned on it would be an accident not intended by user (namely myself ) but this is just too simple not to do. If I drain the hot water heater, I will always disconnect the ground. If I can find a switch and not require a screwdriver the better.

Last night it got down to 32 degrees in Dallas. I had the tank full of water and heater on. The Wet bay on the same coach only got to 39 degrees. I don't know what the temp was around the inputs for the water heater? I am told if Hot water tank is on, then it will not freeze.
It's definitely colder in Dallas than down here at times so I don't blame you for taking extra precautions

Just from my experience, 32° for a few hours or overnight has never caused a problem. I don't do anything. If 32° for more than 24 hours, or temps go into the upper 20s for more than a few hours, then I'll usually drain the water lines. Colder weather, say mid 20s, and I'll drain the WH. Middle 20s and below gets extra measures such as draining tanks, placing a lighted 75 watt incandescent bulb in the wet bay, and sometimes setting the furnace to come on at 35°.

This is just my opinion: I would not rely on a "turned on" hot water heater to keep the freeze off because there's always that chance it won't fire up about the time you're not looking. For peace of mind, I'd say it was better to just drain the thing.

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater, winter, winterize