RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2019, 11:12 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
It's definitely colder in Dallas than down here at times so I don't blame you for taking extra precautions

Just from my experience, 32° for a few hours or overnight has never caused a problem. I don't do anything. If 32° for more than 24 hours, or temps go into the upper 20s for more than a few hours, then I'll usually drain the water lines. Colder weather, say mid 20s, and I'll drain the WH. Middle 20s and below gets extra measures such as draining tanks, placing a lighted 75 watt incandescent bulb in the wet bay, and sometimes setting the furnace to come on at 35°.

This is just my opinion: I would not rely on a "turned on" hot water heater to keep the freeze off because there's always that chance it won't fire up about the time you're not looking. For peace of mind, I'd say it was better to just drain the thing.
Where is down here from Dallas? Normally I would guess you mean Houston, but this site is all over; so you may be in Florida to always be able say "down here". Long shot guess is Louisiana, but then you would be Mud Bug not Mud Frog

The wet bay has consistently stayed 5 degrees warmer during overnight. I set Furnace thermostat to 42 and left on but I only saw about 1 maybe 2 degree difference with ambient temperature dropping to 33. Remember sensor is in the wet bay compartment NOT the waterlines from within the coach running to it.

My next test is to do the same inside the water heater panel. I suspect it will be colder than wet bay due to the vent opening. I am going to guess the WH panel may be 2 degrees warmer than ambient if that?

I tend to agree about reliance on hot water heater to be on. If I am traveling or actively using it is one thing but when sitting in my driveway for storage, if I know a cold spell is coming in the 20's I am draining the WH, and the waterlines. Still not sure about when to drain the fresh water tank. The mass of the tank says it should be okay, but the water runs to the input side of pump which is in wet bay. If the wet bay freeze say at 27 degrees it may freeze the water and burst the line at pump if not damage the pump itself.

The other trick is that I will not keep the fresh water tank full during the winter unless I am traveling. That way if I do need to drain, I am dumping less water. Might keep it 1/3 full?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2019, 03:50 PM   #30

Beaumont area, east of Houston.

I've never used a stand alone thermometer but I have checked the inside temp with the rig's built in thermostat. Going by it, the coldest it's ever gotten inside was 41° after being in mid 20s outside temperature for several hours. I can't remember it ever staying in the 20s for more than 24 hours down here but I imagine it happens up there at times.

Old 12-12-2019, 10:22 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
Beaumont area, east of Houston.

I've never used a stand alone thermometer but I have checked the inside temp with the rig's built in thermostat. Going by it, the coldest it's ever gotten inside was 41° after being in mid 20s outside temperature for several hours. I can't remember it ever staying in the 20s for more than 24 hours down here but I imagine it happens up there at times.
I have several of those La Crosse Technology clocks with portable sensors. They are great as you can put the sensors most anywhere. They are very accurate. I use the digital thermostat as well for inside the coach.

From my years of owning boats up here, it freezes just enough to put you in panic mode. That is why I have been playing with all of this so when / if a real freeze come, I will know what to do.

BTW, I bought a switch today from ACE hardware that I intend to add to my Water Heater so if I do drain it, I will shut the unit off in side the panel thus effectively making my own lockout without worry of the water heater switch in the coach. If it works it will effectively be my first true Mod.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:03 PM   #32

My 1st Mod: Water Heater Lockout Switch

It started with a will and it has completed with a way. Today, I have added a switch to the ground circuit to my Suburban Gas Water Heater. See On/Off switch to the left. It works effortless.

In future when I drain my water heater, I will flip the switch to off. Once done the switch inside the coach is effectively disabled. If the switch in the coach is On and it should not be; I get a red pilot light warning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191213_151938.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	269376   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191213_151944_001.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	269377  

Old 12-28-2019, 09:32 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
That HOUSE 12VDC Panel with circuit breakers IS you DC Dist Panel

Although NOT labeled...Water Heater DC comes from one of those DC Circuit Breakers

Short the WH DC and see which one trips. (water heater only needs 2A)
But then you loose everything else on that circuit

Remove Ground Wire on Gas Valve Bracket...tape it off
No Ground...No workie
Logic wins again!

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater, winter, winterize