RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2018, 06:12 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Looking at 2012-2016 Vista 35F's

Do any current owners have any words of wisdom for me? Any known issues or positives on this model. Please give me the good, the bad and the ugly on this Winnebago model. Or is there something comparable to it that I should be looking at. Thanks

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2018, 12:49 AM   #2

I don’t have that model and can’t guarantee this is true, but I’ve read that the ‘17’s have a better slide mechanism.

BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:53 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've got the 14 model and have had no issues with the slides. I believe it affected the MH's with longer/heavier slides. The only slides issues I have had is the squeaking or rubbing problem. I have also had the same noise from the door also so I don't let it get to me. There are days that we travel and have no squeaks and then are are those that it does.
I love the floor plan and I guess alot of people have also because they have copied the same basic layout in the Forza 38F and most MFG's have the same basic layout.
If you get a 2014 second half build or later you can get the corian counter top and the maybe the drop down bed. I think around 2016 they started to offer the combo washer and dryer. Also I think Ford went to the a 5 or 6 speed transmission.
The one thing with the 2014 I don't like is the bedroom window at the head of the bed. They fixed that the next year and put one on each end of the bedroom slide.
Happy hunting and enjoy it while you can.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:44 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Twinsburg OH - Franklin MA - New Milford CT - Bay Shore NY
We have had only minor issues all covered under warranty. Very impressed with quality of build. We have the 16 SunStar LX 35F. This is exactly like the Vista LX. IMHO its a great first time class A coach.
mikeannetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:08 AM   #5

We have a 2014 35F and love it. Floor plan is great and have only had minor issues which I was able to diagnose and repair myself. I have lived in the RV for over a month and it was always comfortable. I agree that the window at the head of the bed was not the best idea and they have moved it in later models. Overall, highly recommended!
a6carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:10 AM   #6

We also have a new to us 2014 Vista 35F. I was wondering if you had either of these issues. The most important is both sides of the LR slide leaks during rain regardless of whether the slide is in or out. The water comes in at the bottom where the slide and coach connect. Tilting the coach a few degrees to that side helps some but you shouldn't have to do this each time you set up. The other problem: leaking water between the awning and the wall near the half bath. This is so bad that we put a bucket down on the ground to catch it or else we'll have a river under the mat. Neil worked on a roof seam near it yesterday, yet to see if this helps. Any thoughts or have you had either of these problems? Thanks in advance!
Neil and Debbie
2014 VistaF
macevir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:16 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the 2016 Sunova 35G and I like it. I have had some issues with it. We had some plumbing tear out of the kitchen sink when we brought in the slide while on a trip.

We have the 2016 new transmission with 6 speed. We travel with a 2015 5 speed and we get better mpg. I have installed 5 star tune.
inlineskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:54 AM   #8

I'll chime in... We have a 2012 Sunstar 35F - that's the Itasca version of the Vista -

We are the original owners, purchased brand new in 8/2012 and have put 40k miles on our rig. We are extremely pleased with our coach.. we haven't had any major problems with ours and the ones we did (at the beginning).. we decided to take ours to Forest City to have the repairs done.. we thought it more of an adventure, then a hassle to take it there..

I'm at the point now where I am staying on top of maintenance.. We change the oil every year (synthetic), lube the slides do a thorough inspection.. we had the transmission flushed last year and this year we will do the brake fluid, differential and coolant.. I do all, if not most, of our maintenance.. it is extremely easy and satisfying at the same time.. plus its nice to crawl underneath and check things our for yourself at least one a year..

We've done a couple modifications we feel have improved things.. we added the 5-star tune on the engine - this is a must, in my opinion.. we put Maxxair covers over all our vents and we've upgraded the faucets in both bathrooms and the kitchen.. other than that.. we really haven't felt the need to change much more.. as I said before.. we've been extremely happy with the performance, reliability and function of our coach. I would highly recommend anyone to purchase one..
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by macevir View Post
We also have a new to us 2014 Vista 35F. I was wondering if you had either of these issues. The most important is both sides of the LR slide leaks during rain regardless of whether the slide is in or out. The water comes in at the bottom where the slide and coach connect. Tilting the coach a few degrees to that side helps some but you shouldn't have to do this each time you set up. The other problem: leaking water between the awning and the wall near the half bath. This is so bad that we put a bucket down on the ground to catch it or else we'll have a river under the mat. Neil worked on a roof seam near it yesterday, yet to see if this helps. Any thoughts or have you had either of these problems? Thanks in advance!
Neil and Debbie
2014 VistaF
We've had an occasional intrusion of water at the front part of the LR slide (bottom) but only when very windy and I can see the gap between the two seals which would explain that. I realigned the seals and fixed that problem and it has not come back. Other than that, we have not had any leaks.
a6carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:47 PM   #10

The new 2016 Ford chassis with the six speed transmission is a worthwhile upgrade for many reasons. Some 2016 coaches were built using five speed chassis until their supply was exhausted. To identify the 2016 Ford chassis look at the shift selector for D421. If the gear selector has D321 the chassis has a five speed transmission. One difference between the six speed transmission and the five speed transmission is the six speed shifts at 4300 RPMs and the five speed transmission tops out at 5300 RPMs. Because the six speed shifts at lower RPMs the cockpit noise is greatly reduced.

Another issue is slide mechanisms. Avoid Schwintek slide mechanisms if possible. Some were problematic. The Schwintek slides have gear tracks that are solidly attached to the outside of the slides. The gear tracks are a continuous milled groove. Winnebago switched to Power Gear slide mechanisms because of all the issues with Schwintek. The Power Gear slide track is attached to the slide at each end and the middle is floating. The Power Gear gear track is more like a rack and pinion design.
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by a6carlos View Post
We've had an occasional intrusion of water at the front part of the LR slide (bottom) but only when very windy and I can see the gap between the two seals which would explain that. I realigned the seals and fixed that problem and it has not come back. Other than that, we have not had any leaks.
We'll probably have the seals around the slide replaced, sure hope that solves the problem. We previously had a 2002 Alfa and never had to replace the seals; in the meantime I'll keep a towel there with rain. Thanks for your input!
Old 01-12-2019, 04:09 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for all the replies. Still looking for one...

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:31 AM   #13

Will weigh in with a 2012 35F Vista.
Bought with 10k, now about 35k miles. Has rear suspension mod (unknown to me till I was crawling...), CHF was done, too. Added 5-Star tune (must have). Otherwise, only chasing an electrical (12v) gremlin so far. Normal maintenance so far.

Happy hunting.

Tom

tsut is offline   Reply With Quote