Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2014, 07:03 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Looking at an 04 Vectra Winnebago

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on what to look for when looking over this motorcoach. Thanks in advance.
kongmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:37 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We have enjoyed our unit for the last two years. Other than obvious things, tires, hoses, oil leaks we have not found any particular problems with our unit other than fair wear and tear. We love our coach good choice.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:25 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Check the seal of the roof to the drip rail. This is a known maintenance item that is often neglected. Check the operation of all slides and the alignment of the graphics. The windshield seal has been known to rust, leak or crack glass. My Horizon is undergoing slide repair now. The windshield was replaced due to rocks and a little rust was found and repaired. I check and re-calk the roof semi annually. What floor plan are you looking at?
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:40 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

We have an 05 Vectra 40AD and love it No major problems
rehtaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:01 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the quick responses. I need to find out what floor plan. Owner says it has the 400 Cummins it's 40' that's about all I know at this point. Might get the vin today. Does anyone know a site that will give me the details using the vin?
Old 07-29-2014, 06:49 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongmen View Post
Thanks for the quick responses. I need to find out what floor plan. Owner says it has the 400 Cummins it's 40' that's about all I know at this point. Might get the vin today. Does anyone know a site that will give me the details using the vin?
Kongmen, welcome! We just picked up a 36ft Winnebago Journey after "downgrading" from a 42' Tiffin. Nothing wrong with the Tiffin, just didn't suit our lifestyle.

The Winnebago products are some of the better "standardized" in the RV world from what we have found. The Vectra level tends to use a higher level of finish-out materials than our Journey level and from what we have seen, are great coaches.

There are a couple of places to find more information about your prospective coach. First, check out the Winnebago owner's forum here on IRV2. Next, if you know the year, just google "20XX Winnebago Vectra" and one of the first links will be a pdf brochure directly from Winnebago.

Finally, for great detail about your specific coach, if you go to this site:Service Parts List and enter the last five digits of the coach serial number (not the VIN), you can pull the entire parts list for your particular coach.
Cloudrnnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:30 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Looked at the pdf and I don't see a 400 hp commins I think maybe it's a 400 commins that's 360 hp. I don't have the vin yet.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:43 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Cummins ISC 8.3L 350 hp was the largest offered in the 2004 Vectra, per the sales brochure.

Windshield frame rusting and clearcoat flake at the top roof edges are the only two unexpected gotchas I've had on mine. The rest of our issues/fixes would be normal wear and maintenance as expected on any 10 year coach of any manufacturer.

Depending on the floorplan you are considering, check the large front flat-floor slide to make sure its working properly and all the bushings are ok.

Still very happy with ours. Drives like a dream, tows easily, and is very livable.

As others have said, you can get tons of info (wiring, plumbing diagrams, parts fiche, sales brochure, paint and sealant codes, even the specific parts used to build your coach from the link posted by Cloudrnnr. Makes repairs far less of a hassle.

If you make the deal, I strongly suggest you consider Camp Freightliner. Great class with lots of info that will be tailored to your particular chassis/engine/transmission.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:17 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Vectra

bought our 04 Vectra new, no major issues. Check the door for the generator, and the door for the engine, the epoxy turns loose. Have had to remove the A/C for minor repair, motor, cleaning. Message me for any other questions.
Billy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:43 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

The "normal issues" seem to have been mentioned already. So long as you go into the deal comfortable with the price/value and aware that "normal issues" are going to happen (you are just going to have to deal with them when need be), the Vectra should be an absolutely great coach for you. We love the higher quality materials (for the time AND by today's standards) as well as the great floorplan. Our 2005 has exceeded our travel expectations and been pretty darn reliable, mechanically speaking. I look forward to seeing your new Vectra on-the-road someday!!! \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:32 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Don't know what floor plan yet will get back. Can anyone tell me if the isc 8.3 engine is a big block or small block? Could make a difference on torque. I'll look for the grafic alignment nice observation. What kind of expense are we talking for the windshield and clear coat.

Thanks for the replies everybody.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:57 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

My windshield was replaced by insurance minis deductible (rock damage both sides). The glass shop let me help with the rust clean up/abatement. The bill was over $3000 to insurance.

all visible rust was ground off, treated with Naval Jelly and coated with Por 15.
I use Pro Flex for the roof seam and do the work myself check every 6 month, Only had to do minor touch up in 5 years.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:07 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Looked at the pdf and I don't see a 400 hp commins I think maybe it's a 400 commins that's 360 hp. I don't have the vin yet.
I found a 2004 Horizon with a 400 ISL. May be a late 2004 chassis because, I think, they were an option in 2005
I love my new to me 2004 40AD but get poor mileage (6.5)
but that's another problem.
Rich
Old 07-30-2014, 07:07 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Just wondering if anyone has any advice on what to look for when looking over this motorcoach. Thanks in advance.
Kongmen,
Well Sir, we have what would be the "equal" to that unit only, a couple feet shorter. It's an Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT. It's a very nice coach and, like has been stated, the upgraded materials and construction techniques are really nice to have. Many times there's additional items and gadgets installed in the dash of what's known as the "High end" models of that era. Things like "Smart Wheel", "Trip-Tek" and more.

These coaches are complicated. I've had to repair many items on ours but, in my opinion, anything this complicated and, its man made, is bound to have issues, sooner or later. Hopefully for you, it's much later. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:49 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

We bought ours 3 years and 22,000 miles ago and just Love it!
Old 07-31-2014, 05:41 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

After looking at the pdf again I think I've narrowed it down to it being a 40 AD. The owner said it has a 400 Cummins so maybe it is a late 05 I just won't know for sure until I get the vin.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:00 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I meant late 04
Old 07-31-2014, 04:49 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
The vin is good for the chassis (Freightliner most likely). You need the Winnebago SN. With a call to the help line, they will give you the specs on the build.

I had a '05 40FD. We had a persistent leak on the bed slide. Several shops attempted to fix it and charged me dearly for their failures. Once the ceiling over the bed started to show sign of mold we went to Winnebago in Forest City. They removed the slide roof and rebuilt it.

We had other problems with the coach and never felt 'comfortable' in it. I realize we may have just gotten the runt of the litter. Traded it for this Meridian and have not missed the Vectra one day.

I do miss the sleepnumbers bed and that is about all.

Another problem we had was the side de-laminated. I think it was partially do to the roof gutter seam not being properly sealed before we bought the coach. I understand that dealers are looking for this problem when trade-ins arrive.

If you have the time, you can get some test kits from Black Stone Labs, or some other testing company. Basically it is a sample bottle and mailer. Get a sample of the engine, transmission and coolant fluids and have them tested. The lab can tell you a lot about the condition of the drive train. You can have the fuel tested the same way. Do this before the fluids are changed to avoid masking of problems.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:04 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Tried sending pm to a member but not sure if I did it right so I'll post it here.

a/c noise. was wondering if you feel the hvac air/heat system is to loud in the bedroom at night (being in the basement)
Old 08-08-2014, 04:36 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Yes, you certainly hear the ac/heat pump run, as well as the air going through the roof vents. However, personally we don't think it's all that loud and we've grown used to it... sort of white noise that drowns out barking dogs etc. Can hear our furnace run at home too...

My prior coach had roof air units and I don't think it is any noisier. Just one of those things you hear at first but over time becomes background that you ignore. Certainly doesn't interfere with our sleep.

As they say, your mileage may vary. Some love the basement air, some hate it. Different strokes...
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago