Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2014, 05:41 PM   #21
I helped | retired moderator

Click image for larger version

Name:	facebook_like_button_big1.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	80813

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:04 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Nice work.
ctaurie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:53 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Nice, we're thinking about having this done to ours.
RAYDAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 02:41 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

I'm another member of the "Sooo Long tub" club!! We recently upgraded to a nice 32 inch LED screen in ours and lost our tub also. Awesome view out the front now and a much better TV picture. Couple of notes... The old TV is really heavy so have some help on hand. I had 2 young guys wrestle it out and then down the steps out the door. I'm glad I listened to my inner-self OK and my wife and didn't try on my own. They had a real time with it in the small space and having to reach up and out to get the TV.

Next cutting the metal frame was no picnic. I had to use a combination of a jig saw and Sawsall to get it cut. Make sure to spread out a sheet or blanket you don't want to keep and tape it to the windshield near the bottom. You will end up with a lot of metal shavings!!

I built up the sides and back with some 3/4 plywood nowhere near as nice as some I have seen but the TV hides it all . I bolted a stout 2X6 across the front top edge and used a piano hinge to attach it to the board the TV is mounted to. Side note.. have lots of cardboard on hand to make patterns! I had thought about using a fancy tilt and swing mounting bracket but I just didn't like the way they mounted and the loss of space by using one. With the piano hinge the TV tilts up and I can reach in behind it easily.

On our system the sound system plugged into the TV with a standard RCA plug so all I had to do was to get a RCA stereo to headphone adapter and plugged it into the TV. On most TV's once you plug in something in to the headphone jack the speakers are shut off and the headphone jack is volume controlled.

I mounted a power strip in behind the TV and figured I can use the space to charge cell phones and tablets.

I cut a piece of Luan wood to fit across the bottom and stained it to match the cabinets.

Not a hard project and for someone like me it only took 10-15 trips to Lowes to get it just right. I'm the type that will envision a way of doing something and then halfway into it a opportunity comes up to spice it up some of just make it work better. OK so I'm one to just grab a saw and start cutting and then make it up as I go but that's the fun of these projects right? I still have some trim work to finish it out but that can wait till spring. I'll take some pics the next time I'm at the storage lot.

This is the TV I got from Amazon. It fits right in between the 2 existing overhead cabinets with about an inch and half on either side. Excellent picture and sound with speakers that face down and not out the back like a lot of them do. Not real important if you are connecting it to your sound surround system but it could have been used as it was. Don't get too hung up on it not being 1080p. With a 32 inch you will not see a difference.
Sony KDL32R420B 32-Inch 720p 60Hz LED TV

Funny thing when it came from Amazon it was in a box about 5 times bigger than the TV and was filled with these fancy new cardboard packing orbs instead of the old foam peanuts. Oh well it all went to the recycle center.

Like I said it is so nice now to see out the windshield and not have the TV and tub be right in your face!
Old 12-14-2014, 03:35 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

You know, I 46 inch TV will fit!! Here is my install on my 2005 Horizon. The TV is hinged at the top and is supported by two gas struts so that the electronics can be accessed behind.
This pic was taken before I covered the shades with wood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1049.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	81122   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1153.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	81124  

[email protected]
B Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:05 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

I hate to say it but I'm not that good at this kind of changes but I do some interesting wiring and rf changes that work out quite nicely. That's why I'll pay to have it done and look like it was done at the factory. Besides my other half and son would have something to say either way.
RAYDAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:14 AM   #27
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post
River Park Electronics was the original supplier to Winnebago for the 'warts' which they soldered onto the TV speakers inside the TV with the noise suppressor. Kits are still available for those who upgrade to a flat panel TV. They still attach to the speaker leads of the new TV to retrofit to your old surround sound system.

I am leaning towards an upgrade to a new surround sound system which uses digital optical connections between the TV and a new DVD/Home Theater surround sound system. I haven't done this upgrade on my coach yet, but have done several on customer coaches, and it works well. New technology for new installs.

Options are available for either path you choose.
Don, I am reading where some folks have been really pleased with the better sound bars with wireless sub woofers. While not true surround sound, some report really good results.

We just had to replace our 37" Sharp TV up front (it died) and to fill the space at the bottom of the opening below the 40" Samsung, we put a Vizio sound bar. It has simulated surround sound. It is pretty good sound, certainly good enough for what we watch. I am sure some of the more expensive sound bars which come with separate subwoofers would do a lot better.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash