Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2007, 09:45 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

After cleaning my 2006 Sightseer I noticed some lumps and ripples in the fiberglass siding . I also found the thermo pane window developed distorted spots in the glass. I brought the RV in for service on 12/13 for these problems. I called the dealer after waiting 1 month he said they received the new window damaged and would have to reorder it. He also said Winnebago's Factory Rep. would have to inspect the siding to decide what action they would take. I called Winnebago's Customer Relations and the explanation I received was for the bumps and ripples in the siding is acceptable if they are the thickness of a nickel or less. I explained if the condition existed at the time of purchase I would not have accepted the RV.
Has anyone experienced this same problem and do you think Winnebago's explanation is acceptable?
The RV is 6 months old and has been out of service for 3 of the 6 months for leaks.

Any advice would appreciated.

Thank you
cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:45 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

After cleaning my 2006 Sightseer I noticed some lumps and ripples in the fiberglass siding . I also found the thermo pane window developed distorted spots in the glass. I brought the RV in for service on 12/13 for these problems. I called the dealer after waiting 1 month he said they received the new window damaged and would have to reorder it. He also said Winnebago's Factory Rep. would have to inspect the siding to decide what action they would take. I called Winnebago's Customer Relations and the explanation I received was for the bumps and ripples in the siding is acceptable if they are the thickness of a nickel or less. I explained if the condition existed at the time of purchase I would not have accepted the RV.
Has anyone experienced this same problem and do you think Winnebago's explanation is acceptable?
The RV is 6 months old and has been out of service for 3 of the 6 months for leaks.

Any advice would appreciated.

Thank you
cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:29 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2005 Sightseer and last year, 2006, I noticed bumps under the driver's window just behind the mirror. There are probably 6 or 7 bumps about the size of a quarter. I took it to my dealer and they said that it so happened a factory rep was going to be there that very day. They asked if I would wait and they would have him look at it. I was headed out on a fishing trip but I waited about two hours for the factory rep to take a peek at my motor home and to take pictures. It took about 6 weeks to get an answer back. Winnebago approved a fix which was to remove the skin, fix any leaks, and put it all back together.

Most people would not notice the bumps if they were not pointed out to them so I asked my dealer what would happen if I did nothing. They said that it was all documented, pictures and estimates at my dealer, so if it got worse in the future they could fix it then. I decided not to do anything yet. So far it hasn't gotten any worse.

On Sunday I went on top and I could see the frame members through the fiberglass. I assumed it was normal ageing for a fiberglass roof.

Good luck.

JD & Kathy
JD Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:44 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

In a similar situation...my 2004 Journey has developed these spider web like fine cracks in the clear gel coat of my fiberglass siding but only at the corners of the windows and the stove vent on the one side of the coach that doesn't have any slide outs. The slide out side, the front and the rear are all fine. Just dropped it off at the dealer yesterday (1-31-07) so we'll see what the outcome is of this. I read one post on here once before where someone had a similar situation and said that Winnebago told them is was due to a dull router problem when the window cut outs were made and it doesn't allow the windows to "float" like they need to. I explained this to the dealer and he said that Winnebago doesn't use routers, that the window are all cut out with laser??? I guess I should have contacted Winnebago first to see what they had to say but I didn't. Like I said...we'll see where it goes from here. I'll post the results when I get them...wish me luck.
Ron-in-Tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:32 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

The window problem is common. The ripples I see them the most in the morning and when there is a mist. No paint issues or cracks. As long as no spider cracks or cracks develop I would be happy. can you show us photos? My new RV had spider cracks all over the roof and winnebago repaired them without any questions but that was at Forest City Iowa. If I went to the dealer I would have got the run around or spray paint job. good luck keep us posted i would like to hear how you make out.
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:51 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

A similar problem with spider cracks on the rear of the unit. Local dealer had to send photo to Winnebago to get the ok for repairs. The whole rear of the Sunrise had to be repainted after fiberglass repair. Longest delay in repairs was getting the Winnebago decals for the back of the unit.

2006 Itasca 33V
roaminhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Peter...I wish I could but I dropped it off at the dealership yesterday and they are currently working with Winnebago to resolve the problem. The dealership is about 45 minutes away but if I get a chance I'll try and pop in there and grab some photos for everyone.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:18 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I've got the spider cracks around the driver's window (top and sides) and above the awning over the entry door. The cracks are hard to see unless you look very close (I see them whenever I polish the rig). They don't seem to be any worse and are same as what I see in fiberglass boats (stress cracks). Since my rig is now 5 years old and well out of warranty, I just plan to keep an eye on them. My guess is they are stress cracks and not that unusual in gelcoat.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:24 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smlranger:
stress cracks and not that unusual in gelcoat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bingo!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:48 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron-in-Tn:
I read one post on here once before where someone had a similar situation and said that Winnebago told them is was due to a dull router problem when the window cut outs were made and it doesn't allow the windows to "float" like they need to. I explained this to the dealer and he said that Winnebago doesn't use routers, that the window are all cut out with laser??? . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I suspect your dealer is full of it as far as the laser goes. During the last factory tour I took last Aug they were using NC routers.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:45 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I suspect your dealer is full of it as far as the laser goes. During the last factory tour I took last Aug they were using NC routers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That wouldn't surprise me any. Like I said earlier....the jury is still out on the customer service rating I would offer up on this dealer. When they called to tell me that the problem with my rear camera was in the cable, he informed me that my extended service contract didn't cover wiring issues and that I would have to pay for the repair if I wanted it fixed. I proceeded to call the warranty company (Phoenix American Warranty Co.) who promptly informed me that this type of repair was very much so covered under my contract and that no dealers had called in to file a claim in reference to my contract??? The dealer has since determined that the problem IS actually the camera itself, which is a Sony...and is also obsolete..(on a 2004 model coach???) and that he was just about to "actually call" the warranty company for the claim number.

I have read good reports on here about them and have heard nothing but good things about this dealer (Cullum & Maxey in Nashville) so I'm keeping my fingers crossed and really hoping that this was just a little bump in the road to recovery for my 36' little sweatheart.