Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2012, 08:43 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
MCD Shades in Journey or Meridian

Am looking for information/tips on installing (Do-It-Yourself) the MCD cockpit shades (one-piece windshield type) in a 2000 - 2006 Journey or Meridian motorhome.

Any tips or photos would be greatly appreciated.

RedT in Glendale, AZ
'04 Meridian
'03 Jeep Liberty
M&G Brake Sys

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I talked to MCD customer service and they told me how to install them on my split windshield. Because of the position of the overhead TV two shades were required. I ended up going to the factory and had them install the windshield shades and on all the rest of the windows that I had not already installed them on myself.

For the windshield installation they removed the vertical trim pieces on the sides, cut out a "J" shaped piece at the top that the shade ends fit into. That extends the shade edge very close to the edge of the windshield so light is fully blocked.
They cut a strip of black plastic about 1 1/2 inch wide and attached it to the back of each trim strip so they are tipped out enough for the edge of the shades to fit behind them.

The fans had to be moved back far enough to clear the shades. Because of that I had to install the valences pretty far back from the windshield but it looks fine.
Some pictures are below.

This shows the end of the shade fitting into and behind the trip piece. It also shows the black plastic spacer they added.

This shows the fan moved back.

This shows how the valances look.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I just posted this on another thread FYI

I may be able to help you on a DIY non MCD windshield shade.

I wanted a day time sun shade for the front windshield while we are traveling and staying in camp grounds for a day or two. I didn't want the hassle of setting up the outside window coverings so I priced a MCD electric shade and was quote $1600.

I thought this price is outrageous for a simple shade then I received a Costco flyer that had Sunsetter shades on sale, the same material used on outside RV windows, while they only come in 1 foot increments. Low and behold an 8 foot screen fit perfectly between my windshield A pillars.
Costco also has a money back policy even with special mail order items so I thought what the heck if nothing ventured, nothing gained.
They come in manual and 120v electric with remote, so I ordered an electric model with color to match my interior for $357 mind you that this was a sale price, I think regular price is about $450. The Manual version was about $100 less.
Anyhow I installed the screen, had to relocate the existing driver/passenger shades, plugged it into the TV power outlet and it works beautifully and looks beautiful. The electric version allows you to set the screen low and retract positions so push a button on the remote and it works.
I didn't need the guide wires that keeps the screen from blowing in the wind because it was installed inside the windshield. Also the bottom bar attached to the bottom of the screen rides inside the A pillar arms which keep the screen within a couple of inches of the windshield. The Sunsetter was designed for outside or inside installation on stick built homes.
I used butterfly toggle bolts to secure the screen to the ceiling above the windshield as it weights about 18 lbs.
My RV is a 2004 Beaver
Old 10-01-2012, 12:28 AM   #4

PLEEZE...

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey