RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2018, 08:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Jim,
I've got an idea on where I think my old Info Center is. However, we're leaving tomorrow, Monday morning for a camp trip near Bullhead City/Davis Dam area for a few days of R & R. When I get back, I'll dig around and see if it's where I think it is.
Scott
Sounds great. Have a great trip!

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2018, 09:39 AM   #16

And if Scott can't find his you are welcome to mine but it will be 5 to 6 weeks (maybe more) until it thaws out here in MN and I get the cover off the Journey...the old unit is in a box in the basement. Randy

neub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:16 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by neub View Post
And if Scott can't find his you are welcome to mine but it will be 5 to 6 weeks (maybe more) until it thaws out here in MN and I get the cover off the Journey...the old unit is in a box in the basement. Randy
That works too, neub. Having a couple of them makes it more conducive to experimentation if you have no use for yours. I don't have anything scheduled so 5-6 weeks out is not an issue either.

A lot of industrial/consumer products use off the shelf components, I know, I designed several myself for the industrial market, so I'm thinking they may have used a standard (as opposed to custom made) LCD readout. Most of the circuitry that drives the LCD will likely be standard components, with the 'brains' being the only intellectual item. If that LCD can be replaced with the better and more visible off the shelf device, without too much trouble, then it would be worth the time and effort to refurbish them. Plus that kind of thing is fun for me, something to do this coming summer. Hobby type stuff.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:18 AM   #18

Jim, I will send you a PM for your address when I get it out of storage. I have a problem throwing stuff away and it is just taking up space
Randy
neub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by neub View Post
Jim, I will send you a PM for your address when I get it out of storage. I have a problem throwing stuff away and it is just taking up space
Randy
Hah! I know what you mean. I still have electronic power devices I made at work back in the '70's (had cosmetic defects so got them free). Hate to throw stuff like that away when it's perfectly good. Might find a use for it someday.

Have many times found new uses for old items I carry...have a virtual electronic shop in my RV that I cart around as I'm full timing (don't have a S&B). What I miss is having access to a machine shop.

Just today, found my outside patio 12 V automotive style light bulb burnt out...again. I've been leaving it on all night since a thief tried to abscond with someones bike a couple weeks ago. And my bike is out there (cable chained but those can be cut pretty easily - yes, I have a U lock, the thing is cumbersome).

So took the burned out bulb, smashed it to remove the glass, and used the base to mount and hold a 3-LED light strip. I have around a foot of the LED strip someone gave me because of a Wifi issue I'd fixed for them. Every 3 LEDs there's a cut mark with +12 V and gnd solder points. And 3 LEDs are quite bright. Now I have a replacement bulb for my patio and the cover lens won't be melting anymore like it had started to do what with it being left on all night. And I likely won't have to replace the bulb ever again.

Fun!

Old 02-28-2018, 03:28 PM   #20

Just purchased the improved info center today from Ross Equipment in New Jersey. The price has now gone up to $301.66 but I am one who wants everything to work and feel it is a safety item. They usually have six in stock but out today. More coming in about three weeks and will mail to me wherever we are at. Nice and easy to do business with.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:10 PM   #21

Installed the new info center the other day. What a difference. Looking forward to using it on the road.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:50 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honwing View Post
Installed the new info center the other day. What a difference. Looking forward to using it on the road.
Honwing,
Glad you got the new version and, are ready to use it. It's kind-a cool. You can actually fumble around with it while driving (please pay attention to the road too) but, once you get the hang of it, you can watch the road and, zip through screens to get to where you want to be.
Now, I don't know how bright your new unit is, while observing it during daylight hours and driving but, to make mine a bit brighter, I turn on the parking lights while driving. That makes the Medallion Info Center quite a bit brighter. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 05:58 PM   #23

Installed it last week while in Washington DC after having to wait three weeks for Ross to receive new stock. Easy to install after drilling two holes to get to two screws behind a bracket. Turned it on to a logo that I had never seen before. Really helps to have the original instructions in order know how the six buttons work. I have used it both with the lights and not and find it very easy to see and read. Today going through Indianapolis I had mileage as low as 2.2mpg and a high is 259mpg when Engine brake is on. Showed 7.3mpg for an average with a steady 25mph side wind.
Really glad I spent the $300 as it is very useful and fun to play with.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:04 PM   #24

My info center is also totally unreadable. A new today cost $301 and I assume they will charge you S&H too. A ridiculous price.

I looked at an alternative; ScanGauge SGDFFP J1939 & J1708 Vehicle Monitor
Cost $159 on Amazon and gives you real-time info via the diagnostic bus.

Is that comparable to the Info center? At first glance, the ScanGauge has more options for half the price.
DutchEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:08 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchEagle View Post
My info center is also totally unreadable. A new today cost $301 and I assume they will charge you S&H too. A ridiculous price.

I looked at an alternative; ScanGauge SGDFFP J1939 & J1708 Vehicle Monitor
Cost $159 on Amazon and gives you real-time info via the diagnostic bus.

Is that comparable to the Info center? At first glance, the ScanGauge has more options for half the price.
Well,
I've never used a scangauge so, I really can't comment as to a preference for it over the Medallion. For me, the dash gauges, the Medallion and the Trip-Tek I have, I've got plenty of info for what's going on in or around my engine. But, if you'd like more info, and the scangauge will provide it, well, go for it and be happy.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:41 PM   #26

Very happy with my Medallion purchase. Always liked everything to work. Bothers me when something is broken like the compass/ temp that quit coming into Seattle.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:49 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
I've ordered the info center replacement monitor, however I was interested in the tablet mount I see in the pix of your dash. Can you tell me the brand/model please? Will be leaving for AZ the 1st and think using the tablet maps will be useful. Thanks!
Dick1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:01 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Apologies! I'm real new to this and not sure how to direct inquiries to individuals.
I was referring to "Fire Up" response to the information center conversation and the pix of his dash he had shared.

Dick1961 is offline   Reply With Quote