Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2018, 08:36 PM   #1

Medallion Info Center

Purchased a 2004 Itasca Horizon 40AD last June from a private party in Spokane, Washington. Absolutely the best purchase we have made in years. Previous owner told me the info center was too dark to read since he bought it in 2004.
Have seen old posts that Medallion had an improved unit for about $250 back in 2013. Anybody buy one recently and if so would you have a contact number. If not would Freightliner carry it?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2018, 08:44 PM   #2

Not sure what you mean by info center...my '02 Journey has an electrical info center in the center of the RV and it's too dark to read the printing on each switch. Is that what you mean?

What I did was install a 12V LED light strip on the upper part of the boxed in center so it casts light down on everything. Used a small spring loaded switch to turn it on. Had to add a resistor because it was too bright. Since the info center displays battery voltage and such like, there's plenty of places to steal some 12V juice.

Cost was under $20.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:49 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Take a look at this thread: Who's the most recent to purchase a new Medallion Info Center?

As far as I know Ross Equipment, Inc in NJ is the only current source of the info center. Here's a link: Medallion Info Center

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Not sure what you mean by info center...my '02 Journey has an electrical info center in the center of the RV and it's too dark to read the printing on each switch. Is that what you mean?

What I did was install a 12V LED light strip on the upper part of the boxed in center so it casts light down on everything. Used a small spring loaded switch to turn it on. Had to add a resistor because it was too bright. Since the info center displays battery voltage and such like, there's plenty of places to steal some 12V juice.

Cost was under $20.
Jim,
I'm the one who Chris is linking the previous thread about and, how it pertains to the "Medallion Info Center". If you click on the picture below, then click on it again, then one more time, you'll see three air conditioning outlets at the top of the dash. Below the center outlet, is the Medallion Info Center. It has what appears to have a greenish LCD screen. That info center was introduced in the '04 era Freightliner chassis coaches, especially the Winnes and Itascas.

That info center is a sub system of the "Annunciator panel" (the light bar with all the colored icons). That info center displays various information about engine operations, temp, oil pressure, speed, mpg, and quite a few other tidbits of info, based on the pressing of buttons in a certain series of sequence. And, not only that but, in the event of an issue, such as say, you run below the "threshold" of low fuel, there will be an icon in the annunciator panel that says, "Check info center".

In that info center, you'll read: "Low threshold fuel, 25 gallons". Or, if you let off the throttle and, your exhaust brake is now being activated, that screen will ready "Exhaust Brake". There's plenty of other warnings and info it will display to you.

Now, what the OP is referring to is, the original Medallion Info Center had very poor visibility from any angle but a dead on straight, 90 degree viewing. Well, no one can do that while driving. Many, many complaints were forwarded to Winne and Freightliner when these were first seen (no pun intended) in the first run coaches with them.

Freightliner was slow to respond but, eventually did and, provided owners with a newer model that had much better and more improved viewing (from higher angles) and graphics. It was originally offered for a real low price. But, after that grace period, the price skyrocketed to what I paid for it, around $230 or so. The new one is better but, I run my parking lights to make it even more see-able.

I purchased mine way back when I wrote that thread that Chris linked. I have no idea if they're still available or not.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	096.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	193431  
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:52 AM   #5

Oh, yeah, now I see. I am not familiar with that issue and only vaguely remember seeing postings about it over the years (could have just missed some though) on the forums.

Thanks, Fire Up, for the informative explanation.

I followed the links and read most of the threads just to satisfy my curiosity and it's a pretty neat little gadget. At least the new improved model is. The more I read about it the more it reminds me of the Scangage product.

I agree with others that think FL should have issued an open ended recall.

Not sure my '02 FL chassis has the connector for one if I found one to play with.

Anyone have an old one in their junk box they don't want? It would be fun to play with (I do electronics...including reverse engineering). Might have an industry standard LCD module that could be replaced with a low cost substitute.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:33 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
...Not sure my '02 FL chassis has the connector for one if I found one to play with....
I could be wrong, but I believe it's tied to the MMDC which I don't think you have...

Old 02-24-2018, 11:48 AM   #7

I purchased a new one from Ross Equipment about 10 months ago, think it was around $280, now I can read it.
neub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:32 PM   #8

Thank You very much. Will call and purchase on Monday. Thank You Fire up for the clear explanation
Old 02-24-2018, 07:36 PM   #9

Someone wrote up a replacement process somewhere on irv but you will need to take off the top of the dash, remove the rear view camera and pull out one or both of the AC vents under to unit and squeeze your hand in there. I had to use a few bandaids when I got done
neub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:42 PM   #10

$301.80 at Ross right now. One tank of fuel.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:58 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by neub View Post
Someone wrote up a replacement process somewhere on irv but you will need to take off the top of the dash, remove the rear view camera and pull out one or both of the AC vents under to unit and squeeze your hand in there. I had to use a few bandaids when I got done
This has some good info (referenced inside earlier linked thread): The improved Freightliner information center display by Medallion Instrumentation

Old 02-24-2018, 09:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Oh, yeah, now I see. I am not familiar with that issue and only vaguely remember seeing postings about it over the years (could have just missed some though) on the forums.

Thanks, Fire Up, for the informative explanation.

I followed the links and read most of the threads just to satisfy my curiosity and it's a pretty neat little gadget. At least the new improved model is. The more I read about it the more it reminds me of the Scangage product.

I agree with others that think FL should have issued an open ended recall.

Not sure my '02 FL chassis has the connector for one if I found one to play with.

Anyone have an old one in their junk box they don't want? It would be fun to play with (I do electronics...including reverse engineering). Might have an industry standard LCD module that could be replaced with a low cost substitute.
Jim,
First off, you're welcome. My pleasure. Chris is right. I could go into a few miles of explanation here but, I'll give you the "Cliffs Notes" version. (Member those from High School?) Your era Freightliner uses the "VDC" (Vehicle Data Computer) version of how things are gathered and, interpreted and displayed on your dash. In '04 (actually late '03) Freightliner introduced the "MMDC" system. Multi-Module-Data-Computer.

Now, not only did Freightliner develop and introduce the MMDC in that era but, also what's known as a "J1939" Data link. Your coach, if I'm not mistaken is fitted with the J1587 data link. The primary difference between the two data links is, the J1939 is considerably faster in data transfer which, in terms of engine stuff, handles processing of both notification (data being sent to the MMDC for the gauges but also, "request" data at the same time. Request data would be something like "Cruise control" settings etc.

Anyway, all the info from the engine ECM, the transmission TCM, the ABS module and, both primary and secondary air systems is sent through the J1939 Data link which is, three twisted wires, a dark green (negative) wire, a yellow (positive wire, and a black, (shield) wire, all the way to the MMDC which, interprets all info, both outgoing and incoming, and then sends it to the gauges and, the Annunciator panel where us folks can read what's going on with our engines.

And, also incorporated within the MMDC is output for the Medallion Information Center. The information is sent to that information center through a J339 data link. There is no such information output on the VDC. This is why it would be pretty darn hard to get the Medallion system to work with a VDC. I may have my old one. If I do, I may send it to you, if I can find it.
Scott
Old 02-25-2018, 08:14 AM   #13

OK, I understand the incompatibility issues now. Too bad, but, I'd still be interested in playing with your old unit. I'd be happy to pay for shipping.

And thanks for another great write up...I'm going to save this thread just in case. I found one of your older posts with listed fault codes too. You are a wealth of information on this. Hopefully, I'll never have a J1587 fault....but better to be prepared and not need the info than need it and not have it.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:30 PM   #14

Quote:
OK, I understand the incompatibility issues now. Too bad, but, I'd still be interested in playing with your old unit. I'd be happy to pay for shipping.

And thanks for another great write up...I'm going to save this thread just in case. I found one of your older posts with listed fault codes too. You are a wealth of information on this. Hopefully, I'll never have a J1587 fault....but better to be prepared and not need the info than need it and not have it.
Jim,
I've got an idea on where I think my old Info Center is. However, we're leaving tomorrow, Monday morning for a camp trip near Bullhead City/Davis Dam area for a few days of R & R. When I get back, I'll dig around and see if it's where I think it is.
Scott