Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-18-2014, 09:01 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Meridian and Journey questions

Hi everyone. I'm very excited and have a million questions so all responses and help would be greatly appreciated! I will be retiring in the next year and will full-time on my own for about 5 years. I had decided to purchase a Journey 34Y but Winnebago just told me they don't make that couch any more so I'm looking for Plan B. First, what is the difference between the Meridian and the Journey? The floor plan is the same and the features seem to be the same; Journey is an upgrade?

I have read everything I could find on what to look for before purchasing a rig and things I should consider, etc. but any first hand knowledge/hints would be welcome. For this kind of money, I don't want any "wish I had knowns."

Looking forward to all your help and great ideas ... and to making new friends.
socaljane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:22 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

:welcome:
Good luck making your decision.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:27 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

difference

They are the same now just different colors in and out. Originally Winnebago was built on Dodge chassis and Itasca on Ford or Chevy. This is what I have been told by dealers.
goldwingerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:04 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

If you have the opportunity go to Forest City to the Winnebago factory and take the tour. Several models are on the same construction line.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:38 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

They are the same only decorations are different, even the same price.

I would look at the 36 M we love our 2012, we are coming up on 3 years of ownership in a couple of weeks.

If you are full timing the extra 2 feet will be huge.

Some of our numbers since we bought it 11/11/11

22,400 miles driven
109 campgrounds
544 nights camping

As you can see well used, a great motor home
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaljane View Post
Hi everyone. I'm very excited and have a million questions so all responses and help would be greatly appreciated! I will be retiring in the next year and will full-time on my own for about 5 years. I had decided to purchase a Journey 34Y but Winnebago just told me they don't make that couch any more so I'm looking for Plan B. First, what is the difference between the Meridian and the Journey? The floor plan is the same and the features seem to be the same; Journey is an upgrade?

I have read everything I could find on what to look for before purchasing a rig and things I should consider, etc. but any first hand knowledge/hints would be welcome. For this kind of money, I don't want any "wish I had knowns."

Looking forward to all your help and great ideas ... and to making new friends.
I have had my Journey 34Y since April of 2010 (it's a 2009 that sat on the lot for a while). I, too, am a solo full-timer and this is, be far the best floor plan I have owned or, for that matter, looked at!

You might want to consider a used Journey 34Y (or Meridian 34Y).
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:02 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I saw and fell in love with the 34Y. If I was buying again I would go for the 34Y and just get a used one. Probably like new and big discount in the price. Financing is like new too since most places consider 1 or 2 year old rigs the same as new as far as rates etc. We loved the 34Y because it was small but felt big because of the floor plan. Our major floor plan requirement was TV opposite the sofa and recliner so we could both be on the same side facing the TV. The 34Y is the smallest rig we've seen that has that.

Good luck! This is the most fun part.... THE SHOPPING!
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:25 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rream View Post
They are the same only decorations are different, even the same price.

I would look at the 36 M we love our 2012, we are coming up on 3 years of ownership in a couple of weeks.

If you are full timing the extra 2 feet will be huge.

Some of our numbers since we bought it 11/11/11

22,400 miles driven
109 campgrounds
544 nights camping

As you can see well used, a great motor home
I also agree the 36M is a grand scheme for a Coach. Ours is a 2012 Journey, and we love it.
KoolBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 04:44 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Socaljane,
Welcome to the forum. You may want to look at the 34B floor plan. It is very similar to the 34Y. It's about one foot longer and built on the Maxum chassis, which I think has more storage space. Regarding the Winnebago vs Itasca question, the only difference is the color schemes the and decor.
Good luck with your search.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:02 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We have the 34B, and it has lots of storage inside and out. It handles very well, and tracks straight down the road. Very clever floor plan, which lives bigger than it is.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:04 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

We recently downsized from a 42 ft coach to a 09 34 y and have found that the 34 y fits are needs very well. It is amazing how livable it is when all the slides are out in addition to how maneuverable it is. It is a bit cramped when the slides are all closed, especially where the euro lounger meets up next to the kitchen counter. It is manageable but have to squeeze thru that area when traveling aft. Basement storage is sufficient for us but I am aware that changes where made in later models to increase the basement storage. If you look closely at the brochures over the years you can see some of the changes that where made, some positive and some not so positive IMO. We are not missing the extra length and love the floor plan.
lclewis49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:06 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

We started looking at this model and noticed it was not on the 2015 plan so in June we started looking. There are some 2014 models out there as well as some left over 2014 chassis that are 34' and labeled as 2015 models. We would have loved bigger but this thing fits in my shop by inches. We traveled over 500 miles to find our model.
zman-az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:58 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Being an old Winnebago salesmen now retired. The things are the same except Itasca has more options as standard equipment then the Winnebago does. Thus the price difference. I have a Journey 36GD and like it. A trip to the plant would be a good idea, or they do make a video of the ass line. Good luck and "see ya down the road"
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey