Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2015, 07:29 AM   #1

Meridian Headlights Fogging from Inside

I have a 2010 Itasca Meridian and the headlight lens, the plastic covering the whole front of the headlight, is getting dirty on the inside. Does anyone with a Meridian (2010,2011,2012) know if this lens comes off? It looks like it is held on with several tabs around the lens but may also be glued. I hate to think I would need to buy a new headlight just because the lens got too cloudy/dirty on the inside.
Thanks for any knowledge.
John
JFBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2015, 07:44 AM   #2
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
What looks like dirty on the inside is likely UV deterioration on the outside on sealed plastic lenses. There are many products to re-new the lenses. The one I've used is by Meguiars with excellent success. It's a 3 step process and takes about 1/2 hour for each headlight.

Here's a link.
http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G3000...productDetails

Maybe a photo posted could help us determine.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:27 AM   #3

Thanks Dogpatch,
I have actually tried the Meguiars already. Perhaps the word 'fog' was a bad choice. The inside of the lens shows dirt streaks, as if water ran across a dusty surface. Also, I assume over time the plastic will fog on the inside as well as the outside so I would still like to know if the lens comes off.
Do you think Winnebago would know?
On top of that I need to figure out if I can get the bulbs out so that I can replace them with a brighter bulb...I have heard that is not easy either. Sometime today I will see if I can get a pic.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFBell View Post
Thanks Dogpatch,
I have actually tried the Meguiars already. Perhaps the word 'fog' was a bad choice. The inside of the lens shows dirt streaks, as if water ran across a dusty surface. Also, I assume over time the plastic will fog on the inside as well as the outside so I would still like to know if the lens comes off.
Do you think Winnebago would know?
On top of that I need to figure out if I can get the bulbs out so that I can replace them with a brighter bulb...I have heard that is not easy either. Sometime today I will see if I can get a pic.
JFBell,
Well Sir, you're certainly not alone in this situation. Many, many RVers, car owners and more do experience UV deterioration of the plastic lenses of their vehicles. But, you're saying that, yours definitely looks like it's got "streaks" of some type on the inside? Well, that's kind of new one on me. But, worst things have happened I guess.

Now, you may have a couple of choices here. One, if possible, the bulb and socket come out from the rear, I have no idea if this is possible or not. Ours is an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT and, it's headlights also get a bit fogged on the outside. But, I've not seen any possible issues with the interior portions.

Option two is, simply replace the entire assembly. Now, on our coach, the headlights are from a Nissan Pathfinder, (I think) and, if I were to look for Horizon headlights, I can find them on ebay at about, $220 a pair. But, if I look for Nissan Pathfinder headlights, they're brand new on ebay for, $60.00 A PAIR!! And bla, bla, bla, yeah, there are some on here that think they're not DOT approved. Well, to me, if they work and, fit, well, guess what, THEY'RE GOING TO BE PURCHASED AND INSTALLED!

But, I'd be amazed if yours are actually getting wet and or, streaking on the inside. And, one more thing, no, I've not seen any headlight in the last few decades that had the face of it removable. So, I'd find out what car your headlights were derived from and, head off to ebay to see if they can be purchased brand new for a reasonable price. Good luck.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 01:34 PM   #5

Fire Up
I think your solution is my better bet. With a new purchased headlight assembly I could see better how it is put together, which bolts I will need to pay attention to in order to remove/install and put a new light bulb in before doing the swap...which would be much easier in my lap than from under the MH.
Looks like they run around $80-$90 on the Internet.

Thanks a bunch for your insights.

Tags
light, lights