Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2010, 02:14 PM   #1

Angry Michelin or Goodyear Tires

OK, heres the deal. I will need to replace the Michelin 255/80 R22.V XRV tires on my motorhome soon. (Next year or so) I'm aware of the issue of the age of tires, how to find the date my tires were made, etc.

I called around to see if I could obtain new tires. One tire dealer gave me a quote on Goodyear G670 RV MRT with a size of 265/75R22.5. First thing I noticed was the difference in size. Called dealer, he informed me that the Goodyear was the equivalent size of the Michelin. I then asked about getting new, fresh, tires and not ones that already had a number of years on them. He informed me that he didn't have control over that and that the tires would likely be at least a year or more older...perhaps 18 months or so. Then, I looked at various posts on IRV2.com. I found a lot of unhappy campers with Goodyear and how they were treated especially by Goodyear. One fellow motorhome owner bought tires that were 6 years old, and when he called Goodyear to try to get some relief, he was essentially told...tough, you bought em. The posts really turned me off to Goodyear. Take a look at what has been reported.

Then I attempted to find a Michelin dealer. At first I was elated, I found a dealer right here in my home town. My elation was soon deflated after I talked to this dealer. Yes, he could get me the Michelin XRV in the size I mentioned above. Great, I thought! Then I indicated that I wanted to get new tires and not ones that had been sitting around and were two or three years old. This dealer firmly stated that he couldn't guarantee anything concerning the age of the "new" (I use that reference advisedly when talking about rv tires).

I understand all the stuff about numbers, marketing, production and how all this is very different with motorhome tires as opposed to auto tires. However, why should a motorhome customer be expected to take a hit and be the victim of older tires that the manufacturer needs to unload. We need to complain loudly and often about this situation. It is the manufacturers problem to find a solution. And, the solution is not to dump the tires on some uninformed motorhome owner.

Do any of you out there know of a way to get the newest Michelin XRV tires possible and where? This crap is quite discouraging in a hundred ways. No wonder our economy sucks. Manufacturers need to see this from the side of the customer. Maybe one of the execs needs to go on the new tv series where the boss gets out of their ivory towers and mingles with us peons that use their products.

I would appreciate any advice as to how to resolve the tire dilemma that many of us face.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2010, 02:36 PM   #2

You might want to consider Bridgestones as an option, they're a great tire and virtually trouble free. We've used them now for several years with no issues.

Good luck with your choice

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:56 PM   #3

We just got new Michelins last August. The dealer had to order them and they were all within 5 months of each other. The oldest was about 5 months old. Why don't you call Michelin and ask?
Cousin Ed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:48 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I replaced Michelins with Continentals (because I could not get my size Michelins in LRH). Both times I did that at two different Best One tire locations, the new tire dates were 5 to 7 months prior.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:02 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I know you did not ask But I can recommend TOYOS

I like the Toyo Tires up here in the NW myself..

Make sure you know if you are getting commercial casings or not when getting quotes.I am not sure about the size tire if the default to commercial casings or not.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:06 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Interesting thread,will be looking into 7 new tires myself in near future.
Goggle your question to see what might be the answer and found same problem really no answer.
So I put the question to Michelin contact link on how I can be guarantied dates close to each other because they determine their warranty claims on dates of their mfg date.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:00 PM   #7

Hi Cool Beans,

You may still want to consider Michelin only another series. The XZE comes in the same size as your XRVs and has the advantage of being a long haul truck tire with deeper tread, better sun resistance, better stability, and availability pretty much everywhere. The XZE was and may still be the standard tire for Winnebago’s larger Freightliner coaches. Our 2004 Horizon came equipped with 275/80R22.5 XZEs and we have only replaced two of them so far due to a front-end alignment problem.

After correcting the front end, we rotated those two tires to the inside rear and they ran for 80,000 miles before the slightly smaller diameter of the worn inside tires caused them to scuff off to a size too small to be serviceable. When we replaced the two tires, the ones on the front that came from the inside rear originally were moved back to the inside rear since them still had over half the tread depth and matched the outside tires exactly. The new tires were fitted to the front.

We also had a Winnebago Journey that came originally equipped with XRV tires that we exchanged for the next size up in the XZE line. 235 to 255. I had the CAT Pocket Tec so I was able to re-program the engine computer for the difference in RPM(ile). But on yours, the difference would only be 541 to 538 RPM and shouldn’t make enough of a difference to worry about at just over 0.5%.

My guess is you’ll like the ride and since they are very common tires, the date code should be much younger and if you ever need a new one because of a blow out (never happened to us in over 175,000 miles), you should be able to find new ones any where you are.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:08 PM   #8

I just bought 6 of those Michelin tires with mfg dates of 10-09. You should be able to shop around to get the best price and freshest tires.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:13 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have had really great success with the Bridgestone ribbed commercial radials on 2 motorhomes. I will NEVER put another Firestone on my heavy vehicles.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Miniature Schnauzer, one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:06 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In early March I bought Michelins at large tire dealer in the Tampa area - this particular store was where they service trucks. The tires were made in the last week of 2009.

I think inventory turn-over is the key here.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:02 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just saw yesterday that CW and Goodyear has the $60.00 per tire rebate back
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:08 PM   #12

I am in the market for the exact same tires for my 04 Journey. I have a truck tire shop about two miles away and they quoted me around 525.00 per tire and said that the tires will be around 60 days old. Not sure if that is a good price.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";623669]Interesting thread,will be looking into 7 new tires myself in near future.
[B][URL="http://www.google.com/search?q=michlin+same+date+mfg+rv+tires+for+replac ement&rls=com.microsoft:*&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1&rlz=1I7RNTN_en
Goggle [/URL][/B]your question to see what might be the answer and found same problem really no answer.
So I put the question to Michelin contact link on how I can be guarantied dates close to each other because they determine their warranty claims on dates of their mfg date.
Having the same problem finding "new" Michelin tires. Just don't understand why the warranty date starts with the manufactured date and not the installed date. New car warranties start from date of sale even if the "new" car is 1-2 years old. The way tire manufacturers operate, we are losing 20% of the 5 year warranty if the tire is only 1 year old, let alone 2-3 years, but we are paying full price.

Wagonmaster2
Old 04-08-2010, 09:52 PM   #14

Price Quote I Received

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed O. View Post
I am in the market for the exact same tires for my 04 Journey. I have a truck tire shop about two miles away and they quoted me around 525.00 per tire and said that the tires will be around 60 days old. Not sure if that is a good price.
I got a price quote of $450.00 for Goodyear G670 and $475.00 for Michelins xrv.
Add $15.00 for mounting each, $18.00 for balancing each, and $8.00 for scrapping the old tires. This stuff adds up to real money very quickly. I'm still shopping around. I'll let you all know what I find out. I'm still hung up on avoiding getting tires that are not fresh.