Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2012, 04:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Michelin XRV vs XZE

I have been pricing Michelin tires and found out the XRV 255R8022.5 tires I want are back ordered from the factory with no date as to when they will be available. My option might be to go with the XZE instead. The difference is tread depth which is 20 for the XZE and 16 for the XRV, the Diameter XZE is 38.5, XRV 38.2, Width for the XZE is 10.0 XRV 9.9 and the Revs per miles XZE 538, XRV 541. The pricing is about the same.

Has anyone gone to the XZE or does anyone have an opinion?

Thanks for the advice.

Hank
Golf Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

What's the price difference?
Old 06-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

XRV vs XZE michelin tires

The price difference is minimal and is not an issue. My only concern is if they are compatable with the XZE and if anyone has purchased the XZE and their experience with them.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I checked on Goggle "XZE vs XRV", lots of info. Some who had both types-could not get a clear conclusion one way or the other-should be fine.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I replaced my XRV's with XZE and had no noticable difference in ride or handling in my experience. If you search this forum I think there are some other discussions on the topic.
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I can't help you with comparisons but XZEs came on my Itasca Ellipse and we've been happy with them for 5 years.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:42 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
I replaced my XRV's with XZE and had no noticable difference in ride or handling in my experience.
I'm with JayGee on this one; I too replaced my OEM Michelins with the Michelin XZE (19.5") and have had no issues or complaints. I went from a 12-ply to a 16-ply tire (but run the OEM tire pressures), so an argument could be made that I now have a firmer ride, but since I've never felt my chassis had a great ride to begin with, I guess it seems the same to me. I've put approximately 4k miles on them. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:33 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I just put 275/70R22.5 steers on my coach -- XZE2+ because that's what they had in Rock Springs, Wyoming. Drove 3,000 miles on them over the last two weeks and so far, no complaints at all. I think in reality they are a tougher tire which I prefer, but I'll admit we just went from gas to diesel so we consider the air ride dreamy But seriously, I noticed no difference in ride between the old Toyos that came off and the XZE's.

Steve
Old 06-15-2012, 04:49 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I purchased new 245X70X19.5 XRVs in 2010 dtd 2009 and they cracked at 2 years and 10K miles just like the old XRV that was OEM dtd 2002 and 2003.
My dealer/michlin replaced them yesterday with XREs
According to the sidewall writing the XREs require more air pressure I have 110psi
Old 06-15-2012, 05:04 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I do believe that Micheline has discontinued making the XRV tires. If you do get the XRV tires make sure you check the date codes. I don't remember if the XZE, XRA, or something else has or is replacing the XRV tires.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:19 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

I recently (mid May) bought new XRVs. Mine were also backordered, but arrived in about two weeks. Had DOT date codes of 1712 (17th week of 2012) and the DOT factory code indicated they were made in S. Carolina (B6). I read somewhere that all XRVs are made in either S. Carolina or Nova Scotia.

My Michelin dealer didn't mention anything about no more XRVs. He did mention mounting XZEs for somebody a few months ago and they brought them back complaining of a stiffer ride. They waited for XRVs. Don't know if there's any substance to that comparison or somebody just had a vivid imagination..

I believe the Michelin literature mentions a stiffer/heavier sidewall on the XZE.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:18 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Our Journey came with XZEs; so I figure if there good enough for Winnebago.....
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:24 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Hank - Have you explored using the X One tires on the rear. That's the extra wide tire that replaces duals. Unfortunately, the subject didn't come up with my dealer till the new XRVs were already installed or I might have been tempted. He said Michelin wants to get more of them on the road and are offering incentives. Even without incentives, the big single costs less than two 255s. At one time they were offering free aluminum wheels to fit the X Ones - not sure if that offer is still out there. They have the X Ones stocked all over the country and guarantee to deliver a replacement tire in a short period of time. Can't remember the exact time frame.

You won't find info on the Michelin RV site - go to the big truck site. Just something to ponder, if you haven't...

If you have a TCI store nearby, I would suggest visiting them. I believe they are Michelin owned, although they do sell a few other brands. Very knowledgeable about everything Michelin. Here's a link.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

XRV vs XZE

Well, after all the advice and my call to Michelin Customer Service I find that the only differences in the 2 tires are that the XRV has a little better UV protection and the XZE could be a little more "squimish" when driving down the road. But, that would depend on your Motorhome and it may not even be noticeable. Per Michelin both tires are recommended for RVs. The XRV which has been on back order is now back in production and existing orders should be filled within the next 5 weeks. I am leaving in 5 weeks so I will be cutting it close as I think I will stay with the XRV as it has proven to be a very good RV tire.

Thanks to all for your response.

Hank
Old 06-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Last month I needed two tires, same problem of "not in stock and not in Michelin stock," on the XRV's (22.5) but they did have the XZE's . I moved the XRV's to the rear passenger side and the two XZE's on the front. Then seem just a little harsher on the bump-tiddy-bumps but they are tolerable. The were purchased using the Michelin (FMCA) Advantage Program. Pricing was about the same as the XRV's in my locale.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:17 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I've been running XZE2+'s for a year on all six wheels and am very pleased. I think they ride better than the XZA2's we had and I think the handling is better as the result of the many cross-wise "swipes" (cuts).
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:55 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I can tell the XRE are more squirmy, must be the deeper tread
Old 06-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I recieved a reply to my email sent to Michelin. I was under the impression that the XRV tire was discontinued.
Here is thier reply?

June 17, 2012

Hello Bill,

Thank you for your email. We welcome the opportunity to serve you.

In regards to the email you sent stating:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have A Winnebago Suncruiser. I will be purchasing a set of 6 235/80R/22.5 tires. I understand that the XRV series tires have been discontinued. What tire has replaced the XRV?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The XRV tire has not been discontinued and is available for dealers to order.

I am sorry you were given incorrect information about the tire.

The part number is 87511 and in stock to order.

Should your dealer have an issue getting you the tire have them give us a call at the number listed below and we will get you the requested tire.

We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin.

It is our goal to ensure that your issue has been resolved or your question answered to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 1-800-642-4354 (toll free) between 8:00AM and 8:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday or between 8:30AM and 4:30PM Eastern Time on Saturday.

Sincerely,

John
Consumer Care Department
Certified Michelin Product Expert
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:08 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to J&SW
We bought XZEs to replace our old XRVs on our 04 Itasca Sunrise 32V. 245-70-19.5s. At first we found the tires really squirmy. Went back to the dealer and checked everything, including balance. All OK. So, I went on this forum and found a few comments about how tire pressure would create this - if too high a pressure it rides harsh and squirmy. When I lowered back to OEM figures (for the XRVs) it solved all the problems. Have about 4k on them now. No problems.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:52 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

XRV vs XZE

I have decided that if the XRVs don't arrive in time for my 2 month get away I will go with the XZEs. The differences are minimal and there are a few advantages with the XZEs. My only concerns are the XZE does not have the added UV protection that comes with the XRV and the possibility of a more squirmy ride. But, I will just adjust the psi in the XZEs to correct the ride and my RV is stored indoors so the UV issue should be mute. Thanks again to all for your responses and advice.