Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-08-2016, 05:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Microwave / convection oven question

Hoping to get some type of answer .. We have a 2004 Winnebago 35U .. it has the factory installed Sharp microwave / Convection oven Model R-1870 .. We are the second owners .. the original owner is now in his 80's and his wife has passed so I do not wish to bother him with this issue .. the issue is the microwave will run only 1 minute and shut off .. I have unplugged the unit [for 30 seconds] plugged it back in hit the CLEAR button and reset the clock .. entered 2 minutes on the timer and turned on the microwave and it runs for only 1 min and shuts off .. I am guessing I should be able to put any amount of minutes in and the unit should run for the amount of time entered ...? all input will be appreciated .. thanks Glenn in Phx.
gpshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:53 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Are you putting anything in the unit when trying it? Some will shut down if nothing is inside. Even a glass of water will suffice.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:12 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thank you .. Yes I was putting in 2 cups of water in before I started the micro .. it has never been run with nothing in it as far as we know .. Glenn
Old 09-08-2016, 07:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Suggested Solution

This is a common problem with the Sharp. Here is my write-up of fixing it myself, though not for the faint of heart:

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: FIXED! - Sharp R-1870 Conv/Micro shuts off after 59 seconds
tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Replacement Suggestion

Since that is such an old unit, if you'd rather replace it instead of throwing more money and effort at it, here is my write-up of my switch to a Whirlpool unit. Coming up on 2 years and VERY happy with the upgrade. It is bigger inside, quieter, has more features, and with the outside venting no more heating up the rig interior!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/conve...ml#post2382418

BTW, on this oven, if you watch it is often on sale at Home Depot and/or Best Buy for $150 off.
tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:15 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Here is a URL for a repair facility

all Microwave Display Repair Sharp Dacor GE General Electric
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

TKCAS01 is spot on, I actually referred to his post, to repair mine.

Thanks TKCAS01

This is what you need, hardest part for me was to get the microwave down.

https://www.amazon.com/SHARP-OEM-RMO...=RMOTDA256WRZZ
Old 09-08-2016, 08:14 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thank you all so much .. At least I now know that this 59 sec automatic turn off is a well documented problem with the Sharp that we have .. again thank you Glenn
Old 09-08-2016, 08:23 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

This thread also may prove useful (with pictures): Ok, who knows about Microwave/Convection ovens?

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:49 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkcas01 View Post
Since that is such an old unit, if you'd rather replace it instead of throwing more money and effort at it, here is my write-up of my switch to a Whirlpool unit. Coming up on 2 years and VERY happy with the upgrade. It is bigger inside, quieter, has more features, and with the outside venting no more heating up the rig interior!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/conve...ml#post2382418

BTW, on this oven, if you watch it is often on sale at Home Depot and/or Best Buy for $150 off.
If you choose to replace the unit be sure to do some research as to what models are current. Many manufacturers are still selling "obsolete" units at the big box stores like Home Depot, Best Buy, Lowes, and others.

By obsolete I mean those that are no longer being manufactured. As such the companies will not repair them if they fail. They will replace them with a current model if they fail while still under warranty. Once out of warranty you will be on your own. They do not supply replacement parts to repair facilities.

Our 2013 Adventurer came with a Sharp Microwave/Convection oven. At the 13 month mark it failed. Sharp considered it obsolete and would not supply parts to their authorized repair agent. At the same time they were selling the same units as current models at both Home Depot and Best Buy. There were over a dozen online vendors also selling this unit as a current model while at the same time the factory was refusing to supply their vendors with repair parts.

When I called Sharp I was told "If the unit fails while under the warranty period we will replace it with a comparable model in the current lineup. If it fails beyond the warranty period we will be happy to sell you a replacement unit".
Old 01-12-2017, 09:42 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

i just purchase one from homedepot and the manufacture date is sept 2016. double check your facts
samsauto01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:56 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsauto01 View Post
i just purchase one from homedepot and the manufacture date is sept 2016. double check your facts
If you read my post closely you'll see I was not referring to a specific model. What I was saying is to do your research and make sure the model you select is still in the current lineup.

Once a model is discontinued it is considered obsolete by Sharp and is no longer supported. Those that are still in the warehouses or at commercial outlets are still sold as new even though they are no longer manufactured. The catch is if they fail beyond the warranty period the factory will no longer supply parts to repair them.

We ordered a 2013 Winnebago Adventurer in January of 2013. It was built in March of 2013 and delivered in April. It came with a Sharp R-1800LS-T convection/microwave. The microwave failed in May of 2014. We called Sharp and they advised us to take it to a local authorized repair station.

The repair station found it had a defective fuse holder and ordered one from Sharp. They were given a delivery date of 2 weeks. The delivery time came and went but no parts were shipped. This scenario was repeated 4 more times before the shop asked me to call the factory since they weren't successful in getting the part.

When I called Sharp I was told the microwave was obsolete and no longer supported. I protested saying the exact same model was currently being sold by Sears, Best Buy, Home Depot, Lowes, and about a dozen online retailers. I asked how they intended to support customers if these units failed. That's when I was told "If the failure occurs under the warranty period the unit would be replaced by a similar model currently in the lineup. If it fails beyond the warranty period we would be happy to sell you a replacement unit".
Old 01-18-2017, 11:04 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

my sharp was 2002 for my ultimate freedom and the new replacement fits and works exactly the same one i had originally, maybe your model was troublesome so they may stop making.
samsauto01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:59 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsauto01 View Post
my sharp was 2002 for my ultimate freedom and the new replacement fits and works exactly the same one i had originally, maybe your model was troublesome so they may stop making.
You may be correct. Our 2001 Adventurer also had a Sharp microwave (no convection oven). It worked great the entire 12+ years we had the motorhome. I was happy to see another Sharp in the 2013 Adventurer until we started having problems.

After the second repair the new one has been trouble free for a couple years. We still have a backup Sony counter top model in one of the storage bays.

We purchased a counter top model when we were on the road and the built in failed. After the first repair we left it model at home. As luck would have it the built in failed a second time also when we were on the road. We purchased a second Sony because once again we were on an extended trip. We now leave it in a storage bay "just incase".