Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2017, 09:09 AM   #1
WTB

Mirror Mirror on the Wall How Can I Get Rid of Them

I have two mirrors in my coach, on by the dinette and the other in the bedroom. How in the world can I get them off the wall without at the same time damaging the wall behind them. And once I remove them, what will then have to be cleaned off the wall. I wonder sometimes what the designers of these rigs were thinking when they put them there!
WTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2017, 09:20 AM   #2

my experience is it's usually velcro holding up the picture. use a pocket knife to gently separate the velcro pieces starting at one corner and moving around the picture. or...using a piece of nylon fishing line and starting at the top "saw" your way thru the velcro pieces. either way takes time. i'm sure others will have suggestions. good luck.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:34 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
I am in the same mirrored boat. Mostly in the kitchen...a mirror backsplash behind the stove...brilliant. Mine are glued to the wall with liquid nails or similar, but after reading others' posts it seems a heat gun and a long putty knife will pop them off. As far as the condition of the wall behind them, unknown. I would guess something has to go in it's place after removal. If you do tackle it, please post pics of the wall condition after removal.
kgchampagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:39 AM   #4

Dental floss works pretty good if you don't have fishing line because it doesn't stretch. To preserve your fingers wrap it around sticks or pencils or something. Mine were in frames.

Now if the ugly headboard was only velcroed on I would be very happy. Cant find the screws...gotta be in one of the folds but which ones.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:49 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
I removed two mirrors in my HR Navigator when I had it. The mirrors were floor to ceiling by the dinette table and appeared only when the LR slide was out. It was a lot of work and took a couple of days. The mirrors cracked and broke into small chunks which contributed to the mess. The mirrors where adhered with double sided tape that stuck well. I used fibreglass strapping band material (the kind they use when strapping something to a pallet). I found dental floss to be to weak. Once off the wall, about 80% of the tape was left on the wall, I used a stripper to remove. The good part of this ugly project was the wall was Cherry wood so when done I refinished the wall and it looked great.

Good luck with the project, make sure you have a good shop vac nearby.
2-Nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 04:37 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
You think those mirrors are bad... on my Adventurer the closet doors are directly in front of the bed and both doors are totally mirrored. When in bed they reflect me and miss my wife altogether.

I hate to say it, but I don't like looking at that old fat guy (me) laying in bed.

I just checked and nope, the mirror panel is built into the sliding door. It's nice cherry wood on the backside, but the mirror panel is built into the framing. The whole door would have to be taken apart to remove the mirror panel.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:08 PM   #7

I removed the mirrored backsplash and the mirrored headboard and replaced with products found at Home Depot. The material over the bead is made of PVC and the new black splash is stick on vinyl. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1546.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	173104Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1550.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	173105

300 HP Cat Diesel
GaDawgFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:58 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My MH has mirror for a headboard and mirrors on the ceiling. I have no idea why the previous owner put them on the ceiling. but I gusss I will leave them there.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:56 PM   #9
WTB

Mirror Mirror on the Wall One Off but oh but the other

Well I worked today on removing the front mirror - pop just like that it came off. It was stapled to a piece of plywood which in turn was stapled to the wall itself. Once I got my fingers under it I was able to remove both with no problem. Of course holes from the staples are there but a picture is going up that will hide them.

But now the back mirror that is a whole different story! How foolish of me to think it would be just as easy - NOT! It appears that it is glued, yes glued with a glue that will not let go without taking the paper off the wall with it. So that is tomorrow's project, or maybe the next day. Have to find a way to "saw" through the glue, maybe fishing line? Going to try a couple of things. Let you know what happens when it does and what the result is.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:01 PM   #10

Mirror Mirror on the Wall How Can I Get Rid of Them

When I removed my mirrored headboard and backsplash I found it was attached with a heavy duty double sided tape. Each of the 12x12 mirrored panels cracked and broke, but I just wore some heavy duty gloves and a stiff paint scraper. I also slid the mattress out of the bedroom to avoid the glass slivers and dust.

300 HP Cat Diesel
GaDawgFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 02:32 PM   #11
WTB

Mirror Mirror on the Wall I Know When To Stop

Well since the front mirror came off so easily, why not the back.

Not to be, the back is glued to the wall twice over: first the mirror itself is glued to the wall; then the frame is glued around it. Who ever thinks this stuff up?

Removed the frame after a struggle and half of the wall coating came with it. What a mess. Then I found that what I wanted to put up in it's place would not cover the damage. So I stopped right there. To remove the mirror itself would have been a disaster with glass all over the place.

So I cried "uncle" glued the frame back up to cover the damage to the wall.

Will have to consider my next move
Old 08-21-2017, 02:40 PM   #12

I have a mirror in a frame on the wall in the bedroom. Pretty sure Im going to have the same issues. Ive decided to paint the frame a cute color...havent decided what the color is yet.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtbbjb View Post
Well since the front mirror came off so easily, why not the back.

Not to be, the back is glued to the wall twice over: first the mirror itself is glued to the wall; then the frame is glued around it. Who ever thinks this stuff up?

Removed the frame after a struggle and half of the wall coating came with it. What a mess. Then I found that what I wanted to put up in it's place would not cover the damage. So I stopped right there. To remove the mirror itself would have been a disaster with glass all over the place.

So I cried "uncle" glued the frame back up to cover the damage to the wall.

Will have to consider my next move
thinking this over....maybe if you applied duct tape to all of the glass it might keep it from shattering as it's being removed. I'd probably spread some heavy drop cloths just in case. once everything is off you might be able to get identical wall paper from parts or just go to a retail supplier and get new wall paper.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
thinking this over....maybe if you applied duct tape to all of the glass it might keep it from shattering as it's being removed. I'd probably spread some heavy drop cloths just in case. once everything is off you might be able to get identical wall paper from parts or just go to a retail supplier and get new wall paper.
You can cover the mirror with contact paper. Ideally when I get back around to the project I'm going to do that one wall with a fun wallpaper to make an accent wall. That way it won't matter that it doesn't match the rest.