RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2015, 12:48 PM   #1

More fun with LED strip lights

Seems like every time I turn around I find another use for the LED strip lights you can buy in 16' rolls. Have done my bays, awing, and over front door among others.

One small irritation on my Vectra is the bank of switches right by the entry door not being lighted. Seems like would have been a great candidate for backlit lettering. The passenger reading lamp puts them in shadow, and no other light hits them.

So another job for LED strip lights... tapped into the power behind the small step light at the bottom of the panel which is wired into the "Porch" light switch. Fifteen minutes to pull the light, splice into the wiring, seal it all up and position the strip. Now when I come in after dark (using my remote to unlock and turn on "porch" lights the switches are nicely lit.

Simple rainy-day mod and another off the to-do. Heck, probably took me longer to take the photos, resize them, post this than it did to do the work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0371.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	105917   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0372.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	105918  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0374.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	105919  

emiddleb is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2015, 03:05 PM   #2

Have you or anyone had a problem with poor quality (read crap) LED's.
I put LED strips in all my overhead florescent fixtures. As it happened I left the power on while in storage. Noticed it a week or so later (solar chargers, so no big deal) but when I looked at the lights they were going bad. I did a test by connecting them to the house battery direct to see how long they last. After 13 days they were dead. Second set was on a 3 pin regulator, they were still working but not by much. I ended up replacing all the lights, bought from another eBay seller just in case. Also installed buck - boost (+- 90% efficiency) regulators just in case over voltage was killing them. Have not stress tested them yet, but so far they are holding up.
Was also wondering if +- 115 degree temps could be killing them. Temp could / would be higher for the LED while in storage in the FL heat.
Attached Images

ronnie_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 04:26 PM   #3

I've not had any issues like you but I'm in Michigan, not in the Florida heat.

Have had some issues with the adhesive strip coming off the back of the LED strip but that was easily solved with some double-stick tape.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post
Have had some issues with the adhesive strip coming off the back of the LED strip but that was easily solved with some double-stick tape.
Most of my strips fell off in a few days, I cleaned up what I could with lacquer thinner and swabbed it down with super glue. None have come off once the super glue set.

I bought other LED's off eBay, another seller and so far no problems.
I tested them at home, on 13.8 V the first set would start to dim after a few weeks in my Florida room (no air conditioning, but in the 80's not 100's) new set held up OK. I still installed a assortment of buck - boost voltage regulators just to play it safe.

Where have you been buying you LED's and what LED did you use.
I used all SMD 5630, suppose to be the brightest at the time.
Might also add to the failure rate....
ronnie_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 06:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie_g View Post
Where have you been buying you LED's and what LED did you use.
I used all SMD 5630, suppose to be the brightest at the time.
Might also add to the failure rate....
Amazon is usually my source. An early order had some issues with the backing, but these have held up well so far (ordered in the "warm white weatherproof" version.) I've stayed with the SMD 5050.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_os_product

Tags
led, light, lights