Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2006, 11:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

The book stated my 06 Adventurer 33V exterior height is 12'2". The book goes on to say the height is measured to the top of the tallest standard feature and is based on the curb weight of a typically equipped unit. I do not have a satellite dish. So, does this mean the top of the radio antenna? The top of the retracted TV antenna?

Baxter the Cat
rvskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:53 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

The book stated my 06 Adventurer 33V exterior height is 12'2". The book goes on to say the height is measured to the top of the tallest standard feature and is based on the curb weight of a typically equipped unit. I do not have a satellite dish. So, does this mean the top of the radio antenna? The top of the retracted TV antenna?

Baxter the Cat
rvskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 12:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

If the book says "standard feature" I would assume the antennae. But you know what happens when you assume...Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:22 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I doubt the Antenna. I measrued our 2001 Adventurer at 11'6". The ladder being the highest point. Had the MH in our garage. Put a laser level on top of ladder and shot across the top of the MH. Cleared everything on roof. Satelite dish no AC's.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 02:48 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

My brochure said 12'-2". I measured and confirmed 12'-2" off the top of the roof airs. Made a dayglo sticker for the driver outside mirror and the dash as a reminder; -it says 12'-4", so if there's a doubt...
Old 04-07-2006, 04:30 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I was curious about the height of my unit and called Winnie several months ago asking about height. The tech was, I would say, a little less than helpful and just parroted the official phrase "...top of the tallest standard feature and is based on the curb weight of a typically equipped unit..." I asked him if my King Dome (the tallest thing on the roof) was a standard feature, and he said no.

We can then infer that my published coach height was measured to the top of - maybe the vent, the air horns, shower dome or??? Then I'm thinking that my height was about 13' considering the dome (not correct as it turns out!)

This ambiguous and confusing Winnie-supplied information was less than helpful. We checked the overall height of the coach a few weeks ago and discovered that it is about 12' 3" +- a couple of inches.

Suspect that Winnie is a little vague about publishing exact heights due to liability concerns about owners running into things.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:16 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

What was the published height of your coach John?

Mine is 11'3". I've added a KVH antenna which is 14" high. My actual height is very close to 12'. A 9" increase for the added dome height seemed about right to me. That puts the factory installed things on the roof at a maximum of 5" tall, seems right.

(I should note what I measured was to the top of the dome. I don't count things that won't break, like the CB and radio antennas.)

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:43 AM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield:

We checked the overall height of the coach a few weeks ago and discovered that it is about 12' 3" +- a couple of inches. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's certainly not as precise as I would expect from you John!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:16 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Did you take the measurement with the air dumped, or as the coach would be traveling down the road?
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 08:25 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I had mine measured when I had the first service done at Carter Machinery (Cat repair shop) in Salem, VA. They came up with 12'6".

I added 2 inches for my piece of mind.

I printed that up on two 3 X 5 cards and slipped them in slot in the dash. One for the pilot and one for the the "BOSS" who really does all the driving from the right front.

DOUG

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 08:48 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I had a 2003 33V and checked the height myself. It was exactly as spec'd to the top of the ladder, which was my highest point. Apparently they don't count any antenae. But, I added a KVH L3 satellite dome so that became my new overall height measurement.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 12:09 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tderonne:
What was the published height of your coach John? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> 11' 9" in the brochure

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Red T:
Did you take the measurement with the air dumped, or as the coach would be traveling down the road? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>We measured it in the ready-to-go mode, engine running and bags full. This excerise was part of our two day RV Driving School (Dick Reed's) we took recently. Our instructor assembled a pvc pipe assembly in the shape of an inverted "L" and we held it up to the coach. Bob - this is why I say +- a couple of inches. I really only wanted an order of magnitude for my height. 12' 6" in the "magic" number for heights and I know I'm a little less than that (not counting the CB antenna of course.) If I have to, I know I can sneak under a 12' 6" clearance bridge (although it would be a desperation manuever and big-time pucker time.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 01:24 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Looking at the spec sheet for new Adventurer. They list them at 12' to 12'2". Guess we will never get a new one. Our garage door onpening is only 12'2". Cost a couple grand to make it bigger.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 03:31 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Do not trust Winnebago's spec's....I have a 2005 36RD and the spec's in the sales brochure and the spec's in the Vectra Owners manuel are totally different...So I went up on the roof and used a level to find the basic height of the roof and then measured up to the highest fixed object on my roof which were the MAX Air vents I installed. Now I know I need 12' 2" to clear without damage.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
kenbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 06:05 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

2005 WINNEBAGO MOTOR HOME HEIGHTS
Last Updated: 11/30/04
Name Model Chassis Vectra WKS36RD Freightliner - 29,410 (350CAT 6-SPD)
Roof 11' 3"
Ladder 11' 8"
Standard A/C N/A
Optional A/C N/A
Standard Dish 11' 11"
In-Motion Dish 12' 6"
Max. Std. Feature 11' 8"

MAX air vent covers are not a factory item.
They are either dealer or customer installed.

Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 03:10 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Mine measured 12'6" when I had it measured during servicing.

'05 Meridan with an in-motion dish.

I guess the specs haven't changed since Tom got the specs that were published in Nov '04.

Doug

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 03:45 AM   #17
Administrator Emeritus

Tom N's "maximum standard feature" height of 11'8" has been raised for 2006, based on the brochure for the 2006 Vectra.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>36RD= 12'3"
40FD= 12'3"
40KD= 12'2"[/list]
As always these don't take into consideration the height of the options....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 11:01 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

We have an 05 Voyage 33V and the spec sheet also says 12'2". I have a 12' garage door and it fits with a couple of inches of clearance over the a/c units and the KVH dome. I did notice that the little rubber antennae does hit the top of the opening which would lead me to beleive that it is the tallest point from which they measure.
Jonny
jonny33v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 08:58 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cruzer:
I had a 2003 33V and checked the height myself. It was exactly as spec'd to the top of the ladder, which was my highest point. Apparently they don't count any antenae. But, I added a KVH L3 satellite dome so that became my new overall height measurement. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just out of curiosity, Mark, what is your total height to the top of the ladder? And, what is it now with the KVH L3?

TIA ...I'm too lazy to go to Tiffin's website to look it up.

But, the thing I do like about Tiffin's specification sheet on their website is that they give a minimum garage height to all of their models as 13 feet. I guess this is to make sure that everything clears on every model.

--'rocco
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 09:08 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Also, a question for those of you with air suspension: is it possible to move the coach forty feet with the air bags dumped?

If so, what is your procedure?

And, how much will it lower the coach?

The reason I ask is that I have a garage door opening of 12' 7" and am wondering how much room I have to "play with" if I were to dump the air bags in a DP in order to move it into and out of the garage?

TIA for any comments.

--'rocco
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote