Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2018, 03:05 PM   #29

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have you checked the weight distribution of the coach? It sounds like it could be a case of being too light on the front axle and too heavy on the back axle, especially if the excessive weight is behind the rear axle.
jbringneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2018, 03:34 PM   #30

I would recommend checking the ball-joints and tie-rods in the front suspension for wear. In the jeep community, what you described is known as a "death-wobble" typically caused by worn suspension parts.
GarDav25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:34 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsr1 View Post
When I hit the smallest bump, (or worse) two in a row, the motor home starts to bounce in the front end. It seems like it bounces 5 feet, but Im sure its only about a foot or so, but it has to run its course before it settles down. Any idea what could cause that? It bounced my dog a foot into the air and onto the floor.

You are way overdue for new shocks.
desertracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:50 PM   #32

New shocks for sure and be sure they're really heavy duty.
StageCoachDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:43 PM   #33

Consider new shocks are a safety factor, not negotioable

Yes, you most likely need new shocks, and for your own safety as well as other people, get them NOW. The rig could bounce right off the road. Motorhoming is an expensive hobby, so open up the wallet and enjoy a wonderful life.

Happy trails.
dustybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:30 PM   #34

Quote:
When I hit the smallest bump, (or worse) two in a row, the motor home starts to bounce in the front end. It seems like it bounces 5 feet, but Im sure its only about a foot or so, but it has to run its course before it settles down. Any idea what could cause that? It bounced my dog a foot into the air and onto the floor.
You need new shocks. THINK BILSTEINS!!!!! [U] Your coach will ride better than new. My clue was: at slow speed driving over grass, the coach rocked side to side for several seconds. It dived on braking. It slammed dishes out of the cabinet at any speed above 0.01 mph while crossing a speed bump at a small angle.

Dirt Rider
2003 40' Fleetwood Revolution diesel pusher.
Dirt Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:38 PM   #35

We have an '03 Journey. You can go to your local Freightliner dealer they will check it out for free.
dickb46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:40 PM   #36

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
time for new shocks....
Sounds like your air bags and shocks are bad.
for shocks i would go with Bilstein mono tube gas pressure shocks
CityElectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:41 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Thanks Ed for taking the time to point that out, it makes sense now because when I went back to read it I didn’t understand or remembered why I posted what I did, now I do remember.
Like I tell my wife, I'm not forgetful I just don't always remember at the right time.
DNHOFFMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:48 PM   #38

Shocks

Quote:
I had a similar problem with my 2008 sunova, I installed koni shocks and it made a world of difference.
Mb
Parkers1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:50 PM   #39

it's not always shocks--

Coming from a different direction from my experience, check your front air bags. I and several others have found immediate relief after discovering so much air had leaked out over time that they were ineffective. It wasn't noticed until the death bounce aka bucking Brahma Bull awoke me. My shocks were tiring but didn't need replaced yet, else I'd have never suspected other causes. I saved a bundle by not going with the obvious. If the bags are empty due to damage, they can be replaced w/o removing front end parts. Check youtube for several demos. A secondary cause in my case was a missing boot on the right anti-sway bar, also repairable without tearing into the front end.
arizonalefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:33 PM   #40

If you have a floor or bottle jack that can, lift the entire front or front corner one at a time and inspect the top of your shock mounts. If you see a shiny metal rod on the top, your upper shock bushings are severely shot, in need of replacement.

I recently replaced all my Koni-RV shocks with heavy duty Bilstein shocks and am happy with them, This was on a 2007 E350 chassis with standard 158 inch wheel base.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:32 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
time for new shocks....
Says it all
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:34 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Welcome! I'm relatively new myself. I've also fairly new at researching about a concern, and when not fully clear on what I need to do, then I've posted to ask for advice or information. There will be good and bad about the replies, which, unfortunately, will sometimes be less helpful that you'll hope for. Sometimes it will be excellent! Regarding the replies you'll get, there will be several types. Too many will not be helpful. Some will knee-jerk and tell you to replace -everything-, regardless of expense or whether it is a truly genuine remedy to your problem. Some will insult you if you do not do 100% of what they "instruct" you to do. Some will insult you if you ask for clarification so that you can understand what's happening to you and what the technical aspects of their advice mean...which translates to mean that they are annoyed that you have the impertinence to ask "why". Some will insult you for trying to be economical in fixing your problem, in the sense of "If you can afford to own the coach, then you should be able to...blah-blah.. (...spend ANY amount I tell you to spend to fix your problem). BUT!!! HANG IN THERE!! Some will respond with accurate, experienced, logical, and SENSIBLE information and advice! Pay attention to these people and ignore the others. I have a discussion going on right now for -EXACTLY- the same issue you've asked about! I've gotten the full range of responses I've described to you (and more). I'm proceeding step-by-step. It's my money. It's my decision. I want info to make my decision to MY satisfaction and not have someone else 'decree' what I should do. So... I have Koni EVO shocks on the way to me. If they aren't enough to make me happy, I'll put Koni FSD shock on the rear. If that's not enough, I'll get the Comfort Ride control valves on the front. If I am then STILL not happy, I'll get the valves for the rear, too! Wow, am I glad you posted! Seeing the responses you've been getting has made me feel like speaking my mind, which I'm sure I will regret when the righteous ones chastise and admonish me.... Whatever... Again, I say, listen to the wise ones and ignore the others.