Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2016, 12:00 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Need An Update From Ellipse And Tour Owners

Specifically Ellipse and Tour owners with Schwintek slide mechanisms of certain years please provide an update. Those of you with the original system such as myself, and those with the new redesign upgrade. Me, I own a 2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD.

Those with the original system, how is it performing? Mine has performed well, and I have done all the correct deploy/retract procedures as advised, syncing motors and all. As well as the lubing procedure with CRC Power Lube with PTFE etc. That said, my kitchen slide is now starting to make a few noises I don't like. Uhhhh huh.

Those of you who have had the redesign upgrade. I have followed a few of you when you had it done, how's it holding up? Can we say hopefully it IS a fix?

Last question, related to the upgrade, what's your opinion on resale value of the coach WITH the upgrade? Would you say it puts the coach value where it should be, or is there no difference, (I feel there is), or has not enough time went by yet to know if this is a real fix?

I'm kind of leaning toward doing the upgrade and getting it over with anyway. Prayerfully before anything breaks, (fingers crossed).

What's happening out there for the rest of you right now?

Best regards all,
W.D.
2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:51 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

On our 2015 Ellipse (built / delivered in 2014):
- WBGO factory just replaced large passenger slide fixed rails / motors with new system. Front edge of slide extending ~ 4" while on the road.
- Immediately apparent that slide moves faster / more evenly.
- I had very diligently cleaned and lubed with CRC w/PFTE, kept the tracks clean, and seals lubed with 303. Note: zero problems with bedroom slide.

- Too soon to know how the new system is holding up.

- I 'think' that a potential buyer will be pleased to know the system has been changed (if longer term info shows no problems).

- I recommend you engage WBGO about the condition of your slide. They are doing courtesy replacements every day at the factory and at selected RV dealerships around the country.

Good luck!
Old 10-25-2016, 10:17 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the reply Steve. I have never had an issue with the slide creeping out, your new system has? Have you remedied that?

I also have had zero problems thus far with bedroom slide.

I have an appointment for the 31st at the factory for a couple items of business, I plan to go ahead and address it all then.

Regards,
W.D.

2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511, Good Sam, Passport America.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:34 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Creep out occurred only with original system. Over the next week will report on new system's behavior - will do about 700 miles and ~ 6 slide cycles.

Overnight lows in mid 30s at FC. Recommend you overnight at service or visitor center to get out of strong winds up on the rally grounds. WBGO dump / fresh water still open; city dump open - fresh water reported as turned off. Safe travels...
Old 10-25-2016, 10:52 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Good to hear it's not the new system. Thanks for the info on FC. My home base is 30 miles from the factory, so it is easy for me logistically. Safe travels on your 700 mile trip, hoping it is trouble free!

Regards,
W.D.

Old 10-27-2016, 03:10 PM   #6
Grand Design Solitude 373

We picked up our 2013 42QD (Ellipse) three months ago, and the dealer installed "repair Kits" on the existing Kitchen Slide motor set. He scheduled a factory technician into the dealership earlier this month to train his technicians on the ""Power Gear" upgrade modification and we supplied our coach as the "test unit" for the installation. Took a day and now works much better, smoother operation and quieter during operation. Bedroom slide never has caused any trouble. The dealer was La Mesa, Phoenix AZ.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Superpacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 04:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Don't have a diesel rig, but our 37F has the full wall slide that had the Schwintek system that finally gave up and we had the new Power Gear assembly put on in Forest City. Slide has about 30 cycles on it now and it is working fine. Long term,,, who knows. I would certainly think it will be beneficial as a selling point when we are ready to sell, which should be quite a while as we love this coach. As with others, the bedroom slide has never been a problem.
Peteyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:09 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Please keep us up to date on your trip to Forest City. I have a Journey 42E, a mirror image to the Tour. I have had no issue so far, fingers crossed. I too use CRC/PTFE regularly, no issue with BR slide. I use slide bars to keep the kitchen slide tight during transit.

While the slide is working fine, I can see a few if the teeth on the racks starting to wear and eventually the teeth will fail. I too am thinking of replacement prior to the system failing.

I am interested in how Winnebago handles your claim.

Thanks
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:31 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Update on our slide mechanism replacement:

Have traveled ~ 700 miles with 2 overnight stops. Slide 'rides' more quietly - extends and retracts quickly - not leaving any rub marks on floor tile and slide exterior sidewalls. So far - so good ...
Old 11-07-2016, 11:19 PM   #10
GKW
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2012 Itasca Ellipse 42QD purchased new. In four years of use I have had no problems at all with the slides and never heard of the problems others have had until recently. Now I am wondering if I should expect problems. I have never been impressed with the non robust looking slide rails as compared with other brands, and the sag particularly on the full room slide while extending. After full extension it then lifts up level. I would assume the locking mechanism would keep the slide from slipping out. I always wait to hear the locks retract and extend fully before operating in or out. Is this a case of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" or should I look into doing a preventative retrofit? Any suggestions appreciated. I do lube and have the coach level and engine running for max voltage before operating the slides.
GKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:56 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I'm not sure if your coach is part of the problematic years? Seems like the problems started with the next year. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Regards,
W.D.

Old 11-08-2016, 06:08 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

GKW
I'm reading your post as saying the driver side FWS is 'sagging and then lifts up level.' If accurate, there is quite a tilt as the slide moves in/out which is normal. Sag is usually descrbed as a 'bend or bow' in the bottom of the slide - typically towards the middle but can occur on an end. Look at the underside of the slides from outside and see if there's any significant marks, scratches, gouges that may indicate imbalance. Then look under the slides from the inside and check for debris, complete rollers and floor marks.

Bottom line: if you think there's a question about the slides working properly a visit to the factory or a dealer approved to do slide system replacements will be helpful. Good luck!
Old 11-08-2016, 08:10 AM   #13
GKW
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post
GKW

I'm reading your post as saying the driver side FWS is 'sagging and then lifts up level.' If accurate, there is quite a tilt as the slide moves in/out which is normal. Sag is usually descrbed as a 'bend or bow' in the bottom of the slide - typically towards the middle but can occur on an end. Look at the underside of the slides from outside and see if there's any significant marks, scratches, gouges that may indicate imbalance. Then look under the slides from the inside and check for debris, complete rollers and floor marks.

Bottom line: if you think there's a question about the slides working properly a visit to the factory or a dealer approved to do slide system replacements will be helpful. Good luck!

Tilt would have been a more accurate description than sag. Thanks for confirming this is normal. At this point my slides appear to be operating normally and I will go back to being unconcerned about a problem that doesn't exist. Other than a limit switch actuator on the bed fold up, (which I eliminated) my Ellipse has been trouble free since I drove it off the lot. I must say I am impressed with the factory quality control.
GKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:31 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

I had the Powergear retro done on my 2013 Ellipse in June of 2016 at the Winnie Factory in Junction city Oregon. So far so good. Probably only put slide in and out about 10 times since retro. I used to get a horrible rubbing/squeaking sound on the slide just above the passenger seat, but it's gone now. Very quiet going down the road. I still cringe every time I move the slides in or out. Winnie is using the Powergear on the new Ellipse/tours, so I am assuming they are confident with the new system. I had the RV in 3 prior times to try to get the noise fixed. So when I spoke to Winnie, they did not argue with the fix because I already had prior documentation of problems.

As far as value, probably if the person buying a rig with the old system new about the issues, then having the new system would be better.

Scott
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 09:17 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Like others, we have always used the recommended procedures for leveling the coach, deploying/stowing slides, syncing motors, lube, etc.. We use our coach five months each year, traveling 9-10k miles roundtrip from Florida to Washington through 17 or more states, so that is a lot of slide deployments. As a rule now, we only deploy the galley slide if we stay at a location with guests or for more than three nights by ourselves.

Our galley slide has always had a creep issue on aft end from initial purchase, so two years ago a Winnebago Advisor shipped us slide locks...use them ever since, so no creep.

Also, our galley slide has had three repairs kits, the most recent was this summer, of which was replaced by the Winnebago service center in Junction City, Oregon. It is the new motor drive and geared rail, so no worm track any longer and still working fine after about 20 cycles to date.

The bedroom slide had one kit installed this last Spring after about 100 cycles, but it is still currently a worm track. And, the King bed rails in the bedroom, also a Lippert/Schwintek system, was replaced by the Winnebago factory service center in Forest City, Iowa last Fall at no cost.

What slide repairs we have had during the first year warranty was covered in full, but all repairs since were covered under the extended warranty excluding our deductible. So, it has been expensive...ugh.

Chris & Deb - North Venice, FL - 2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD - Toad: 2014 Jeep Rubicon
ChrisKW is offline   Reply With Quote