Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2015, 06:11 AM   #1

Need new starter battery

2005 Itasca Suncruiser..

Have been in our current position just over a month and decided to start engine to keep things like battery up to snuff. Well, I hit the key and nothing.... walk back to panel and she is flat dead. I used the booster button to get the engine started and ran it for 15 minutes. The battery came back up to 9.4 volts but as of this am she is down to 8.1. So, I am in need of battery recommendations.

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2015, 08:06 AM   #2

Put the battery on a battery charger for 24 hours and see if the battery revives. 15 minutes of running the engine is not nearly enough.

ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:51 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by osgoor View Post
2005 Itasca Suncruiser..

Have been in our current position just over a month and decided to start engine to keep things like battery up to snuff. Well, I hit the key and nothing.... walk back to panel and she is flat dead. I used the booster button to get the engine started and ran it for 15 minutes. The battery came back up to 9.4 volts but as of this am she is down to 8.1. So, I am in need of battery recommendations.

Thanks!
Is this the original battery? If so simply replace it. In any case "back up to 9.4 volts" is not a good sign. No battery likes to be discharged below a certain point. I don't have the # handy but it seems that at your high of 9.4 you are well below the no recovery point. Get a good Trojan or Deka replacement. After the new battery is installed measure the charging voltage with the engine off and then with it running. Your Aux start relay is also your charge selector relay (I think).

Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:51 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your battery is not being charged when you are plugged into shore power. You need a Battery Minder or similar to keep up with the parasitic losses that occur in the starting battery.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery