Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #41
Winnie-Wise

I have been pricing tire too for our motorhome. I currently have Michelin's that were original to the unit and are showing weather cracking in the sidewalls. The previous owner wintered in Florida and never covered the tires. he saved the replacement cost by trading it in on a newer coach.

So far I have found that Michelin through the FMCA program is the most cost effective solution for me. The discount through the program is substantial. I priced Goodyear G670 RV's and found them to be almost double the cost of the Michelins. Toyo and Bridgestone come in at about the same price. The Michelin is RV specific and should provide a better ride than a truck tire and has the advantage of better UV protection built into the tire. Looks like we'll bite the bullet and go with Michelin.

I wouldn't be too concerned with the ride quality. No matter what tire you choose, it will still ride like a truck!
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #42
Winnie-Wise

Hankook... I'm researching Hankook AH11's. I called my dealer's shop and they recommended Hankook. I asked about returns--NONE. Blowouts...NONE. Here's the rationale. We aren't retired (10 more years for that) so we're not going to be full timers and for the first couple of years, we don't really envision trips of more 300 or so miles one way (maybe the odd trip of 800 or so miles one way). So, it's an option. BTW, I've read almost thread on irv2 where Hankook's are mentioned so I'm branching out. I will say this, the out-the-door pricing on Michelin's at dealer pricing was far more than the FMCA pricing (I joined FMCA, btw).

Scott
Old 04-22-2013, 09:46 PM   #43
Winnie-Wise

All I can say is that I had a set of Michelins that came on one of my motorhomes that I purchased new and I drove them for fourteen years without a blowout. If I remember right, I only put 32,000 miles on them but they lasted till I sold the coach.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:08 PM   #44
Winnie-Wise

This has been an interesting journey. It would seem people are steadfast in their choice of tire: That's a good thing. Folks should be happy with what they buy. I've learned a lot and the rationale of why people choose one tire over another is interesting. Not quite as interesting as folks saying other folks can't notice ride differences (not in this thread), but interesting nonetheless.

The choice here is down to Michelin's and Hankooks. I have to say, I've had Michelin's on my car and I wasn't impressed with them. In the end, I can find a lot of good and bad things about the Michelin's, but I can't find one bad thing written about the Hankooks unless you count being made in S. Korea a bad thing. I still haven't made up my mind, though.

Just thought I'd write what I'm thinking, now. I have until Thursday of next week to make up my mind.

Scott
Old 04-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #45
Winnebago Camper

I use the same size tire on my motorhome. Have you considered Michelin XZE tires. Many of the Kodiak chassis motorhome owners have changed over to them. Instead of getting a F load rating they are getting G and H rated tires. They are not getting the cracks in side wall like the XRV tires seem to be getting. I have Goodyear's on my motorhome. Up to a G rated tires. I feel they give me better handling and ride than the original F rated tires.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #46
Winnie-Wise

I'm considering both the XRV and XZE in the Michelin line. Thanks for the reply, Ron.

In what ways do your G rated tires handle better and where do you most notice the difference?

Thanks!

Scott
Old 04-24-2013, 03:22 AM   #47
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkonu23 View Post
I'm considering both the XRV and XZE in the Michelin line. Thanks for the reply, Ron.

In what ways do your G rated tires handle better and where do you most notice the difference?

Thanks!

Scott
Many of the Kodiak based motorhome have a problem going down the road straight. I find less of this problem with the new tires. Ride just feels better. Hard to explain. Probably the 14 ply tires sidewall is thicker. I was surprised at how thin both the Goodyear and Michelin RV tires are. I put Goodyear G647's on my MH. When I bought them it was the best deal I could find.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #48
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the reply, Ron. It's helpful to read responses from folks with more experience than me.

Scott
Old 04-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #49
Winnebago Camper

I haven't seen any discussion on the Michelin XZA2 Energy tires that come standard on a lot of motorhomes from the factory. Just when you thought you had it figured out. Sorry
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #50
Winnebago Camper

Just replaced 7 year old Cooper CXMT P225/70 R19.5's in excellent shape on our new to us 2000 Winnebago Adventurer 32V Workhorse Chassis with Hankook AH11's. Enrolled in FMCA and had access to the Michelin Advantage Program right away and called the local dealer 5 miles away for a price. Was quoted $2400 for 6 tires installed. The Hankook's came in at $1800 installed. The tech who put on my Hankooks offered to buy the Cooper's for $400 as they were still in such good shape. Have someone coming by tonight to look at them for $700 & take them away hopefully. Not full timers yet but we do have a trip from Mass to Tennessee planned this summer & wanted new tires. RV runs fine with the new tires & saved $600. Good luck.
joemcgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #51
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkydog View Post
I haven't seen any discussion on the Michelin XZA2 Energy tires that come standard on a lot of motorhomes from the factory. Just when you thought you had it figured out. Sorry
I haven't been able to find those in 245/R7019.5's. :(

Scott
Old 04-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #52
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemcgin View Post
Just replaced 7 year old Cooper CXMT P225/70 R19.5's in excellent shape on our new to us 2000 Winnebago Adventurer 32V Workhorse Chassis with Hankook AH11's. Enrolled in FMCA and had access to the Michelin Advantage Program right away and called the local dealer 5 miles away for a price. Was quoted $2400 for 6 tires installed. The Hankook's came in at $1800 installed. The tech who put on my Hankooks offered to buy the Cooper's for $400 as they were still in such good shape. Have someone coming by tonight to look at them for $700 & take them away hopefully. Not full timers yet but we do have a trip from Mass to Tennessee planned this summer & wanted new tires. RV runs fine with the new tires & saved $600. Good luck.
Sounds like you got yourself a good deal, Joe. I've got quotes for Hankook AH11's in the correct size for $1740 installed, spin balanced. That's about $1000.00 less than the Michelin's.

Like I wrote earlier, I haven't found a single complaint about the Hankooks other than their country of origin.

Scott
Old 04-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #53
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkonu23 View Post

Like I wrote earlier, I haven't found a single complaint about the Hankooks other than their country of origin.

Scott
The parent company is headquartered in Korea however Hankook manufactures in other locations - namely China. I don't have any experience with them in RVs however I have compared them back to back in automobiles (I work for an auto manufacturer). In my opinion they were inferior to the Bridgestone we compared against - they transmitted much more road noise and the level of grip was lower. From this experience I don't think they'll be on my shopping list. YMMV of course.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #54
Winnebago Master

I have Hankook AH11s on my 2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G. They are very quiet and smooth riding. Mine were $253 ea in including balancing and mounting. Very happy with them. I bought them a year ago.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:33 PM   #55
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koop View Post
The parent company is headquartered in Korea however Hankook manufactures in other locations - namely China. I don't have any experience with them in RVs however I have compared them back to back in automobiles (I work for an auto manufacturer). In my opinion they were inferior to the Bridgestone we compared against - they transmitted much more road noise and the level of grip was lower. From this experience I don't think they'll be on my shopping list. YMMV of course.
Interesting. So, you're drawing a conclusion for RV tires based on experience with automobile tires? It's okay to do that. If I were to do that, Michelin's would be off the grid entirely--I had Michelin's from Costco on my car which were absolutely horrible on my car. I got lower gas mileage (I hypermile), less tire life and the tires had less traction than the Bridgestones that were originally on the car. The only common thing in either scenario is Bridgestone tires.

Scott
Old 04-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #56
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
I have Hankook AH11s on my 2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G. They are very quiet and smooth riding. Mine were $253 ea in including balancing and mounting. Very happy with them. I bought them a year ago.

Thank you, John. That's a great deal! Are yours 245/70r19.5?

Scott
Old 04-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #57
Winnebago Watcher

Scott - I realize it's an apples to oranges comparison and may be unfair. However my biases are based on my experiences. From this experience I won't try that product line up on my motorhome. I have no inclination to experiment, I'll rely on past experience and/or objective test results.

Tires can be like an oil thread or a Ford vs Chevy thread. Everyone has a favorite. I have Michelin on my motorhome now, I'll probably stay with them when replacement time comes. I'd also consider Bridgestone and Toyo at this point.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:09 PM   #58
Winnebago Camper

costco

I saved lots of money bu getting mine at costco. They ordered them and were within four months old on date code. I noticed the original goodyears were about equal to the gvw of my 37g so i got the load range h. It rides the same and glad to have michelin.
garyswann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:09 PM   #59
Winnie-Wise

Thanks Gary. I didn't know Costco would order RV tires. I'll have to check them out!

Scott
Old 05-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #60
Winnie-Wise

Just to close up this loop. We went with Michelin XRV's. We had them installed today. It's good we got new tires of any type. We found we had two bad wheels, as well. Additionally, we replaced the spare tire.

Thank you all for your input, it was great!

Scott

Tags
tires