Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-18-2016, 08:43 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Need some Winnebago advice

Hello everyone,
I have always found this forum to be very informative when making any RV related decisions so here I am again. My parents currently own a new 15 Thor Vegas 25.2 and have been using it sparingly at best. This winter they headed south to Florida and came to the realization that they would love to go full time but the Thor isn't the coach for that so they are considering a larger new Winnebago. I currently have a Country Coach Allure 40' that they feel is too large for them so they want something smaller than that but larger and more storage then what they currently have. Any suggestions from the experts?

Thank you as always =_)
Michaeljsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Michaeljsz, I would suggest to start by going to the Winnebago web site and start looking at floor plans and prices. You can figure about 20 to 25 percent off retail for a cash deal.

Winnebago | RVs, Motorhomes, Recreational Vehicles
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:07 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

First, I'd advise them to look beyond Winnebago as there are plenty of other higher quality manufacturers out there. If 40 is too big and 25 is too small, there are plenty of options.
Price range will be a factor. Winnebago has new diesels (which many will rightly suggest for full timing) in a shorter than yours size range starting in the low $200's. If that's too high, then gas units can be had in a wide range for a reasonable amount. Some on here have good things to say about the Vista 27N with three slides makes the short length feel much larger, has decent tank sizes, and is now in their XL series which is a step up from the base Vista line.

For similar money to the Vista/Vista XL lines you should look at the Bay Star lines from Newmar.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:08 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I have always felt "FLOORPLAN' is at the top of the list of considerations, especially for full time.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:17 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Why buy new and loose all the depreciation when there are hundreds of gas and diesel lightly used units for sale on the web. Most of these are low mileage and you can find any size, floor plan, color, make and engine you want.
litewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:16 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

For Full Timers, the floor plan is the most important thing followed by storage. There are ways to get around storage space, ie rental spaces to store winter then summer things.
But as I said floor plan is a big must. Do they throw parties or have lots of guest, what about over night guest? All these things make a big difference on the floor plan of choice. Will there be more staying in one place or getting on down the road involved and what about their Toad, what type do they plan on using? How heavy is it can cause all sorts of problems, is it flat towable? These things also make the choice of MH very important. The other thing is will they be doing a lot of OFF grid camping or RV parks only? MH insulation is important both during the winter and summer months.
Oh yeah did I forget getting up the mountain power.
Tell them find a floor plan that will suite them not only when at the RV park but also when getting on down the road, then adjust their carry-ons according to the available space. Also remember the TOAD they plan on using.
New or USed it will be New to them so get out and enjoy America while they can.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:14 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Pretty sound advice has already been given...

1.) Floor plan, Floor plan, Floor plan....
2.) Price range ??
3.) Gas or Diesel ??

I think SuperGewl hit the nail on the head best... lots of questions to get answered before anything can be determined...

Personally... I have always felt if someone is going to full time, a diesel is probably the best route to take..

I know this is always up for debate.. and there are many differing opinions... but.. I just think the materials used in a quality DP are more likely to "hold up" to the daily use...

Don't get me wrong.. I love my gasser.. however, if I'm truly honest with myself.. the cheaper materials its made with wouldn't hold up to the day-in-day-out use.. not a negative.. just a fact..

Good luck helping your folks... and good for them to try a new adventure !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:43 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Why do they feel 40' is too much? Have they spend a decent amount of time in a 40' unit? Driven one? I know if I were looking to go full time we'd be trading our 38' unit in on a 45' unit, but that's me. I couldn't imagine full timing in something smaller than 38-40ft though.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:53 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Gas engines are suited for full-timing. I know of at least one couple who full-timed for 11 yrs. (I think) in a 36', no-slides, class A powered by a Ford V10. They towed a Honda AWD SUV.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:32 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I would most likely go Gas if I could find the floor plan in a High End Gas that I liked. The overall maintenance would be a lot less as long as you are not putting major miles on it. To me if it's going to be sitting a lot this just makes more since do to cost. DP's are made to be run and run hard, they don't like all of the sitting around and not running.
Just my .01 worth.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:37 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Nothing wrong with a gas rig. Lots of them out there in daily use by full timers.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:23 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago

Winnebago makes some nice floor plans in the 36 to 37 ft size. Or they could buy a gently used Journey 36ft
Dsrtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 05:17 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Need some Winnebago advice

Our first RV is the 2015 Vista 35F floor plan. This gas coach has 1 1/2 baths (full in back with big shower) queen bed, sleeper sofa, dinette, side by side norcold fridge, two slides and three tv's ( bedroom, outside and mid coach). The MSRP was $141k, we bought it for $106k. We choose this coach as a great balance between price and amenities for our first experience and have been very pleased. Plan to keep it for 2-5 years then go to an upgraded DP.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:29 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

We fulltime in a Winnebago Adventurer 36RQ. It has been fine, but more interior room would be nice and the storage is a bit limiting. We manage fine, though.

I would suggest they rent something in the 36 ft range and try a week out in that before coming to any decisions. This is especially true if the plan to purchase new. It is much less expensive to change your mind on a used coach.

Rick
kb1flr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago, advice