Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2008, 01:57 AM   #1

Can anyone provide me with the directions for removing the slideout topper? Mine are worn out and I want to take them to an awning shop to have replacements made. I understand that the tension from the springs can make the removal a little tricky. Thanks for your help.

300 HP Cat Diesel
GaDawgFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2008, 01:57 AM   #2

Can anyone provide me with the directions for removing the slideout topper? Mine are worn out and I want to take them to an awning shop to have replacements made. I understand that the tension from the springs can make the removal a little tricky. Thanks for your help.

300 HP Cat Diesel
GaDawgFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 02:23 AM   #3

This thread will give you a starting point ...

Dave and Cris thread

Make sure you error on the side of caution ... messing with these toppers can be dangerous

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:07 AM   #4

You may call this number for excellent Topper Service. this person makes and installs Toppers and does excellent work at reasonible prices.
He travels the East Coast NJ to Orlando depending on time of year.
You might call him and if he is in your area he will be helpful.
Ed Klein 908-307-0198

Good Luck

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:27 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
I just replaced both of mine. It isn't a difficult job at all. It can be helpful to have an assistant, both of you with ladders. I had help to get mine off, but I managed to put my new awnings on without assistance. Mine are Carefree, but I believe others would be very similar.
- If your toppers have an aluminum cover over the roller, remove the cover.
- You will find holes at the end of the roller. On the left end, you need to put a pin, cotter key, small bolt, etc into one of the holes to hold the spring tension. (I made pins out of coat hangar wire). After it is pinned, if your aren't sure it is locked, you can test it by turning the tube by hand to ensure it is locked in place. OR, you could go inside and bump the retract button inward. The fabric should not roll up, it should sag. Once the roller is pinned,
- Loosen the bolt through the end bracket. You should be able to turn the roller tube now without the spring tension being involved.
- Unroll all fabric off the roller.
- I had to remove the bolt from the end of the roller tube, and re-insert it after raising the tube a bit to get the slot that holds the fabric above the brackets. You'll have to see what works on yours.
- You might want to mark the awning rail on the motorhome where the edge of the awning. I used a felt tip pen. Now you can simply slide the fabric off the roler tube and the motorhome at the same time. (there might be screws in the awning rail on the motorhome holding the fabric ...if so you will need to remove the screws before pulling the fabric out).
- Have the awning place make new awnings with finished size the same size as the old ones.
- Lay the new awning out and determine which edge attaches to the awning rail, and which to the roller tube.
- Take the end that needs to go into place first and start both sides -- awning rail & roller tube. On a shorter topper, you may be able to simply push it in. That worked easily on mine 103" topper. On a longer one, you may need to move to the other end and pull the slack out a few times to keep it moving. I had to do that several times on my 166" topper.
- Make sure the rubber piping in the awning rail extends out the end of the fabric on BOTH ends. If your topper was secured to the rail with screws, put them back in.
- Now roll up the slack in the fabric onto the roller tube.
- Secure the awning tube with the bolt through the end.
- Remove the pin, bolt, etc holding the spring tension.
- You might want to stand on your ladder and visually watch as a helper retracts the slide, then extends it back out. (Don't try to lean on the slide which watching!!)
- If you removed metal covers, replace them.
- Get a cold drink, sit back, and enjoy your feeling of accomplishment!!
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote