Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2016, 09:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New 2016 Winnebago Sunstar and modifications

I have recently purchased my 7th Winnebago. I now have a 2016 Winnebago Sunstar model 31BE. I love it. It is a well made product. My list of Winnie products started with a class c Warrior, then a class a Brave, followed by 2 class a Adventurers, then a class a diesel, a Journey, followed by a class c, Aspect, and now the class a Sunstar. The Sunstar has a great floor plan, tons of storage for me, and it handles very well on all types of roads. Like many motorhome guys I sometimes feel the need to make some modifications. So, my first question, pertains to the Pioneer radio that came with this unit. Initially, I thought that it had Bluetooth capability that would allow hands fee use of my IPhone. Alas I got the base model that does not have Bluetooth. Should I undertake an upgrade and install myself of a Pioneer BT or leave it in the hands of a competent Winnebago tech? I have done tons of work myself in the past but I try to take care with what I take on. Additionally, the only issue that has frustrated me so far pertains to the compartment where a sewer hose passes down through an opening and out to the sewer. Winnebago hasn't made the p ass through opening big enough to permit either end of my hoses to pass through easily. I am using the Rhino type hoses and connectors presently since the hoses are strong and durable. I am puzzled as to why they don't make the diameter of the pass through port just a tad larger in diameter in order to accommodate most products on the market. I also don!t like the fact that one runs their water hose right alongside the sewer hose in the pass through opening. That is not a good design or idea IMHO. Very good motorhome nonetheless. We got rid of theJourney when my wife became ill in 2013. After her passing last May! I went to the Aspect which I liked in many respects but the floor plan didn't work for me and thus onto the Sunstar. Let me know of your thoughts about the radio or the pass through port. Thanks.
mycoolbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have the same rig. I took a sawzaw to the sewer port to make it bigger so I could pass the end of my Sanicon through it. Not pretty but you can't see it and can still close the port. Frustrating as they just needed to make it a little bigger to pass through sewer hoses properly.

Thought about switching the radio out as well for the BT version, should be easy as it they are identical.

Love the 31be great floorplan, lots of basement storage too.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:36 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

We are considering this RV so your post was helpful to me. I am very sorry for your loss.
WannabeRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:46 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I have the same issue with the radio that's coming with my new Bay Star Sport. Low end, no Bluetooth but does have a AUX in connector. There are many devices you can buy that will plug into the AUX connector that then allow Bluetooth connection to the radio. They also make a wired connection that includes a microphone so you can use it for phone calls.

The better solution of course would be to replace the radio with a better one that includes Bluetooth AND a microphone in. It may be better to let an audio shop do the work as there is a 100% chance that you can find a good replacement, but also a better than 50% you will have to rewire the plug.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:55 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeRV View Post
We are considering this RV so your post was helpful to me. I am very sorry for your loss.
We looked at the 31BE then looked at the Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004. At the end of the day we liked the 31BE but triple slides, a little better fit and finish convinced us to go with the Newmar. You will like the Winnebago products, we've had several.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 02:59 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks. No Newmar dealers near us.....closest one 3 ish hours away.
WannabeRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:19 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I've had my 31BE for a little over a month and have used it on one 3 night trip. I didn't use the pass through, as I just connected as I was leaving, and just left the door open. Bummer to hear its a tight fit! I will surely look to modify that.
I also don't like the fact that there's no black tank flush, and installing one doesn't look like an easy install.
The radio bugs me but not because of the lack of bluetooth. Those TINY selector buttons are difficult to operate while we're in motion. I'll need to find a solution for that also.
Only mods I've done so far is replace the SB links with Hellwigs for the CHF and reconfigured the dinette into an L shape, with the table narrowed and running parallel with the walkway. I figure I could afford to loose one sleeping area, having so many...
Old 03-11-2016, 10:58 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhol5 View Post
I also don't like the fact that there's no black tank flush, and installing one doesn't look like an easy install.
I was dissapointed with that too, although it like it wouldn't be too bad to add one as there is direct access to the black tank in the next compartment down to drill hole in it and mount the flush.

After getting a Sanicon I have not felt the need to put one in as you can use the grey tank to flush the black. It's just like having a third valve and it seems to work well.

Tags
cat, winnebago