Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2017, 06:31 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
New Class A Adventurer - no hot water

We've had our 2017 Adventurer 37F for 3 days now. When we picked up the RV I know the water heater would light. During the PDI the front door was open and our PDI Tech was showing us the Control Panel and flipped on the Water Heater (Atwood, 10-gal, dual fuel) and we all heard the WH lite off instantly. We all said, we know that works.

But on day two - there's nothing. Nothing happens on propane or on electricity. Nothing.

I looked for fuses and found a 110v breaker and it was fine. Never could find a 12v breaker/fuse though.

We knew enough to camp for 4 days near the dealer and we'll take it back there tomorrow, but we were supposed to head home tomorrow.

Anyone here have any ideas? I'd live to solve this issue and get on my way in the morning.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2017, 06:41 PM   #2

Has anyone turned the gas valve off?
Old 07-23-2017, 06:43 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve COH View Post
Has anyone turned the gas valve off?
I checked that - both at the tank and at the stove. Besides, the Electric side of the WH wouldn't be effected.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:50 PM   #4

Anyone check to see if there is water in the tank?? Are winterizing valves set right?
Noelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:04 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelj View Post
Anyone check to see if there is water in the tank?? Are winterizing valves set right?
As a new RV, it had been winterized at the factory. But when we picked it up they had dewinterized it they said and all the pink antifreeze was gone (and in the gray water tank the first time I dumped it).

Also, we did have Hot Water when we spent our first night in the coach. I took a hot shower the day after the delivery. But the second morning there was no hot water.

I looked up the winterization details in the manuals. Found the winterization controls and feel fairly confident that they are in the correct position. The manual shows the winterization settings not the dewinterization settings. But I've confirmed they are not in the winterization settings as shown in the manual. I should add that it is something I don't have much experience with living in South Texas.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:06 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelj View Post
There is water in the tank. I opened the door to the heater, and opened the pressure relief valve and cold water came out.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:19 PM   #7

I have not checked but I expect your tank uses 12 VDC for the controls. Most do because it is readily available as it has to be there for the gas side. Since neither side is working I would be digging for the 12 VDC fuse for the tank. I would also look for a tank control board that might have a fuse.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:25 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
My thinking exactly. The 2 amp fuse on the WH control board was good. And I've searched and searched and searched but can't find a 12v fuse for the WH.

The water heater controls are now part of some new digital "One Place" branded control that controls the water pump, water heater, and displays tank levels.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
My thinking exactly. The 2 amp fuse on the WH control board was good. And I've searched and searched and searched but can't find a 12v fuse for the WH.

The water heater controls are now part of some new digital "One Place" branded control that controls the water pump, water heater, and displays tank levels.
Are you sure the water heater is on? On the "One Place" panel there are 4 buttons on the lower edge below the readout. The 2 to the left are for the water heater. The one labeled "Heater Electric" is for the electric portion of the water heater. Any time you press it you change the state of the element from either on to off, or off to on. It takes a couple seconds for the digital display to recognize and display the state. Any time you disconnect or lose shore power the heater defaults to the off position.

I would press the button and observe the panel to see if it displays on or off. If it's in the off state press it again to see if it changes state.

As for the gas side of the heater as mentioned be sure there is gas in the propane tank and it's turned on. I would check the level at the gauge on the tank to be sure. If the inside gauge looses ground it displays the tank as full regardless of how much is actually in it. Sometimes dealers only put a minimal amount of gas in the tank.

Then go through the same scenario as with the "Electric Heat" button. If the gas has been turned off it may take several minutes for gas to reach the burner.

When we turn on the gas we light our gas stove first to make sure the pipes are full and gas is flowing. It usually takes about 1 or 2 minutes to get the stove to light. I turn the front burner to the "Light" position and cycle the starter about every 5 seconds until the burner lights. I then light the remaining burners and let the stove run for about 30 seconds to be sure there is consistent gas flow

It will take a bit longer for gas to reach the heater. If I remember correctly the heater will try to start 3 times then go into a lockout mode. You'll have to shut it off at the "One Place" center and wait for some time period (it's in the manual) before attempting a restart. Once the gas is flowing and the water heater has started it should start on it's own when the gas mode is selected.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:49 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the help, but we are positive about the WH being on in the One Place (checked it dozens of times turned it on and off again and again), it is full of propane, as I mentioned we checked this and tested it with the stove and the level gauge.

This is our 4th RV in 15 years so we aren't newbies when it comes to this stuff.

The one thing we couldn't find was a 12-v fuse. The 120v fuse was fine.
creativepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:51 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
We are at the dealership now. I'll report back when we get the answer.
creativepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:17 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
It was a thermocouple. So there was no way for us to know... or fix it ourselves.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
It was a thermocouple. So there was no way for us to know... or fix it ourselves.
Thanks for reporting back. Glad you got it fixed. You have a beautiful coach. Hopefully your issues are small and far and few between.

Glad to have you on the forum and look forward to your feedback on the coach. The little annoyances are probably very frustrating but we enjoy hearing what you like about your new coach.

You might consider starting a thread about your new coach. Link the thread to your signature. You can keep us posted on all your adventures and share some pictures.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:23 AM   #14

I thought the thermocouple only controlled the propane side, and that the electric would have still worked. Learned something on that. Thanks.

Tags
adventurer, class a, vent, water