Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2017, 03:34 PM   #1

New Mattress advice

We have a '15 Adventurer 38Q. The factory installed I-Deal Rest mattress is terrible to us. Is there anyone out there that has replaced the I-Deal Rest mattress with another mattress. If so, I would appreciate your advice and input. Thanks in advance.
itsagoodlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2017, 04:10 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I haven't changed mine but we're not fond of King size air mattress that's in our Q. Do you have the king of queen?
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:03 PM   #3

It's a king. We hate it. Wanting to know if anyone has switched to a 10" memory foam type mattress.
itsagoodlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:23 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Take a look at this thread:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/repl...ur-327511.html
Old 07-15-2017, 11:46 AM   #5
RV LIFE Support Team

If your mattress is a standard size just go to a mattress store and buy a new one that you like.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 11:58 AM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I had an air mattress, but changing altitudes meant readjusting the air volume every night when we were travel.

I would suggest you put a 3" memory foam mattress topper on your current mattress to see if you like it before investing in a new mattress.

I discovered the trick to keeping sheets on properly was to put the sheet and mattress pad ONLY on the mattress topper. When you stretch the sheets over the topper and the mattress it defeats much of the topper's advantages and makes the sheets want to slip off at the corners.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:12 AM   #7

We replaced our king with the mattress from our bedroom (put a new one in house bedroom). Love it and ended up trashing the air mattress. One thing I noticed when I pulled the air mattress is the bed frame (if you can call it that) is junk. The paper thin panels cracked and bowed into the cheap wood frame. Ended up rebuilding the whole bed frame and now with the mattress we sleep great. Make sure to measure door opening to make sure you can get the mattress inside, ours was a tight squeeze. FYI, we are not fans of memory foam.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:20 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm not sure you all are taking into consideration that on these models, the King size mattress is 80 inches long by 72 inches wide. And, when the slide is retracted, the top 1/3 of the mattress has to fold up 90 degrees to allow the slide to retract. Presently, with the factory installed air mattress, you have to deflate for it to be able to fold in the up position. I think some people have installed "memory foam" mattress' as a replacement. I'm guessing maybe they order a California King and trim the excess length. I'm not sure.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:41 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We bought a four inch memory foam topper (medium density) for about $200 on eBay. It is amazing and by adding the four inches to the existing mattress, the sheets fit better. Because the memory foam is soft, the slides come right over it and it self compresses under them.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:48 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
If your mattress is a standard size just go to a mattress store and buy a new one that you like.
X2 Thats what I did...
Petesflhtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:06 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
We've had our 2017 Adventurer for 3 days now. We're not a fan of the silly "sleep number ripoff" king bed. However, it's what came on the RV and after 3-days we're not going to replace it. But it doesn't make sense to live with a poor mattress just because that's what the RV came with. And, it's better to replace and enjoy now than to live with something subpar only to replace it later.

We haven't found a "number" that's comfortable yet. Is there one??
Old 07-23-2017, 06:18 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can sleep in the driveway and I'm sure in my first ten years in the Navy, I did. My wife however has not had a good night's sleep since we've had our new coach. The answer to your question is No for the magic number.

The problem is I haven't heard a good replacement with all the suggestions in this thread for a 72 inch by 80 inch mattress that has to fold the top 1/3 in a 90 degree angle every time you need to retract the slide.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:17 AM   #13
RV LIFE Support Team

The way you determine your number is get in bed, start at max and keep reducing it until you are comtforable. We love ours at home and adjust the comfort level as we see fit.

I wouldn't have one on the road as I would be concerned about elevation changes with any air bed.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:45 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
I was chatting with a fellow at our service center the other day. He mentioned he had bought a new bed from www.mattressinsider.com You may want to see what they have to offer.
2-Nickels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice