Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2014, 08:00 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

FYI All good posts, my dealer/factory tech told me that starting and stopping and repeating that sequence while opening or closing my slide may confuse the "brain", it is best to open or close in one continuous motion whether opening all the way or partially.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:24 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

I know this is a Winny & MH board, but slide issues kind of hit just about every type of RV. I had a issue with the one roller wheel that supported to one end of my tt slide. Turns out that the support board the roller wheel was attached to was not supported properly. It took me pulling off all the access panels and my wife running the slide in & out to see just what was happening. I did a temporary fix, but CW. ended up doing a more complete fix with their so called "slide expert" they charged me 6 hours of labor, But Thor as a "good will gesture" would only cover 3. Even the slide expert said it was a 100% build issue, but Thor said that every RV leaving their factories is perfect.

I'm kind of lucky because a tt's slide you have an easier way to access the underside of the slide to see what the heck is going on. Where as a MH, a lot of stuff is 75% hidden, or very hard to get to. That hump thing would really bother me after they said they fixed it.

I really like the Winny travel trailers. It will be on my list for my next RV. Just want to follow some of their threads to see how they cover issues that come up. After purchasing 2 Thor products, I'm now turned off by how the few warranty issues I had, I had to jump thru hoops. They seemed to have the attitude that everything they make is a flawless product on design, engineering, craftsmanship and build quality. No matter if you are buying a 5k pop-up or a 500k Newmar, you are going to have issues. It's how a company addresses those flaws.

Just like car manufacturers, all the recalls that go on these days. Yes, vehicles are highly complex these days. I have no problem when a car company issues a recall. Yes there is a problem, lets get it fixed as soon as possible. Just don't prolong a known problem and kick it down the road hoping it will go away.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 11:37 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

I also have a 2005 Vectra and have the same issues with the front slides. We have removed just about everything reasonable from the storage compartments. We also move the reclining chair from the slide when closing and then we pray when closing.
Another thing to watch for is sometimes the little flipper board under the sink doesn't "flip" and blocks the slide.
We are planning on going to the factory this spring to have them work on the slides as most dealers I have talked too balk at adjusting slides or even attempting to work on them.
Like others have said, we run the engine, and leave the levelers out until the slides are closed.
We have no issues with the bedroom slides, so attribute the problem to a prro design as well as a weight factor. I have noted before that the idea of placing the frig, dishwasher etc in a slide seems like asking to create a weight problem.
I will let you know what happens when I visit the factory.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:45 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcoach View Post
I also have a 2005 Vectra and have the same issues with the front slides. We have removed just about everything reasonable from the storage compartments. We also move the reclining chair from the slide when closing and then we pray when closing.
Another thing to watch for is sometimes the little flipper board under the sink doesn't "flip" and blocks the slide.
We are planning on going to the factory this spring to have them work on the slides as most dealers I have talked too balk at adjusting slides or even attempting to work on them.
Like others have said, we run the engine, and leave the levelers out until the slides are closed.
We have no issues with the bedroom slides, so attribute the problem to a prro design as well as a weight factor. I have noted before that the idea of placing the frig, dishwasher etc in a slide seems like asking to create a weight problem.
I will let you know what happens when I visit the factory.
We had so many issues with the Vectra that we finally traded it for this Meridian. Best move I could have made.

I hope you are a WIT club member. The 10% discount is nice to have and you seem to get a little better service from them, if that is possible. Make your appointment early so you can plan your trip accordingly. Plan on doing the factory tour, visiting the Grotto (Home Page) and the quilt store in town. Arrive early for your appointment so as to get a place to camp with power. If you want to use your dish consider that when picking a site. There are some big trees around. The doors to the service center open at 7:30AM. Pammel Park (Pammel Park Campground, Forest City, IA | RVParking.com) is easy to dump at and get water.

I recommend that you take a trip to Gaffney, SC for your chassis inspection. The Freightliner factory team are as good as the Winnebago folks. Again, make an appointment so as to plan your trip better. They will tune your chassis (ride height, alignment, wheel balance, lube...) all for a fair price. They will weigh your coach and advise you if changes in the weight are needed.

If you are planning on keeping this coach for a while I suggest that you invest in the Blue Ox TruCenter. I think it will independent front suspension if you have it. It will truly take the pull out of the wheel and the days end, after a long trip, are better because you are not as tired. I was always exhausted after a three or four hundred mile trip. Not so any more in this coach since I installed this steering assist. Very simple to use.

I hope you get the problems ironed out.

Happy and safe trails.

Rick Y
Old 12-27-2014, 08:30 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Catcoach,
Thanks for getting back to us. As you've read in our statements here that we've just gotten out of the factory and had everything tuned up. It worked with all the weight on that side, less than 300# in the compartments and with the couch and chair on it also (ours has the kitchen counter on that side). It worked in the parking lot the next morning and they said it ran in and out 6 times inside the factory. We left and the next place we went it didn't come in! The next place, it did but so slowly that like you, we pray that it works. We're now in Yuma for the winter and have taken everything heavy out of the compartments and are about to get rid of the couch as we don't really use it and it's not that comfortable anyhow. I hesitate to get two recliners for that section and am thinking of just using our recliner lounger chairs that we use outside as they're comfortable and LIGHT! Sad about this as we like the coach and Winnebago and Itasca are the same company as I understand. (I haven't heard any complaints about them.)
Please let us know how things work out after the factory. Ask them if there's another heavier duty pump or some kind of beefier system to replace this wimpy one that just barely makes the lift on bringing the slide into the coach.
I also know what you mean as when I asked if I had problems in the future, they said to take it to a Winnebago dealer or authorized repair place and I said that if he's the only one in the factory that knows the slide that well and works on all of them, what's the chance of these dealers knowing how to "tune" or "shim" the slide properly.
Well, enough venting, keep in touch and better luck that we've been having.
I think that using the jacks to tilt the slide may have some merit and I'll be experimenting with that this spring when we leave here.
TTYL
snowbirdnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:57 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbirdnw View Post
Catcoach,
Thanks for getting back to us. As you've read in our statements here that we've just gotten out of the factory and had everything tuned up. It worked with all the weight on that side, less than 300# in the compartments and with the couch and chair on it also (ours has the kitchen counter on that side). It worked in the parking lot the next morning and they said it ran in and out 6 times inside the factory. We left and the next place we went it didn't come in! The next place, it did but so slowly that like you, we pray that it works. We're now in Yuma for the winter and have taken everything heavy out of the compartments and are about to get rid of the couch as we don't really use it and it's not that comfortable anyhow. I hesitate to get two recliners for that section and am thinking of just using our recliner lounger chairs that we use outside as they're comfortable and LIGHT! Sad about this as we like the coach and Winnebago and Itasca are the same company as I understand. (I haven't heard any complaints about them.)
Please let us know how things work out after the factory. Ask them if there's another heavier duty pump or some kind of beefier system to replace this wimpy one that just barely makes the lift on bringing the slide into the coach.
I also know what you mean as when I asked if I had problems in the future, they said to take it to a Winnebago dealer or authorized repair place and I said that if he's the only one in the factory that knows the slide that well and works on all of them, what's the chance of these dealers knowing how to "tune" or "shim" the slide properly.
Well, enough venting, keep in touch and better luck that we've been having.
I think that using the jacks to tilt the slide may have some merit and I'll be experimenting with that this spring when we leave here.
TTYL
I am sorry for both of you. I experienced the same things when we had the '05 Vectra 40FD. After the slides were adjusted at the factory they all worked a bit better but we never really had confidence when it was time to close up. The one trick that saved us a few times was to extend the jacks on the trouble side and lift it a bit higher than the opposite side. With the engine running to keep the battery up we would then close the slide with fingers crossed.

I always talked of the Vectra as being like a guy having a pretty blond on his arm. Lovely to look at but expensive to keep. Moving into the Meridian changed the game. The pretty blond is now self sufficient and a joy to be with.

I do hope you folks can find a solution that will be better than gutting the coach.

I just thought of something that may help. You are not supposed to lube the friction points on the slide if I recall. But, at this point anyway, what do you have to loose? One product that I use and love is CRC Power Lube with PTFE. Here is a link to describe the product. Hunt to see if you can get it for a better price. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Spray this on the pads. It just might help. When I clean my jacks with WD40 I then spray this stuff on them. They retract better and quicker. I didn't know about it when I had the Vectra or I am certain I would have tried it.

Happy trails,

Rick Y
Old 03-14-2015, 07:33 PM   #27
rtr
Winnebago Camper

Jacks down level first with engine running according to my Winnebago manual
and make sure the oil level is correct for the slides
rtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:18 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Slide issue

I've tried most everything that everyone has suggested before I went on this form.
The problem with starting the engine before retracting the slide in is that the air bags fill and bring the coach to an un-level position, I've tried to start the engine and then immediately try to retract that slide and that didn't work well so I then tried to let the engine running and as I've said, the air bags fill up and the coach becomes un-level as the full air bags bring the coach up off of the jacks. I told Winnebago about it and they said it shouldn't do that but they didn't do anything about it. Great service!
We'll keep trying as it's a hassle to sell this and try to find another coach that has other problems. I've considered using a pry-bar inside to give the slide a bit of help in getting up over the hump and if I continue to have problems, now that I've sold the couch and there's less weight, I'll try the pry bar approach.
Thanks for the reply.
snowbirdnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:09 AM   #29
Winnebago Master

First off, just starting the engine should not cause the suspension to inflate. It should inflate if you 'store' the jacks. I believe it also should inflate if you take the parking brake off (and maybe put it in gear?)--I've never done this since I always hit the jack store button.

If you start the engine and set it on fast idle does the slide come in? It shouldn't matter whether the coach is level or not--if the airbags are supporting the coach then there shouldn't be any twist to the frame. Having the engine running makes a BIG difference, since the hydraulic pump is then supplied with the alternator charging voltage of +/-14V instead of just the battery voltage.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:46 AM   #30
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I've tried most everything that everyone has suggested before I went on this form.
The problem with starting the engine before retracting the slide in is that the air bags fill and bring the coach to an un-level position, I've tried to start the engine and then immediately try to retract that slide and that didn't work well so I then tried to let the engine running and as I've said, the air bags fill up and the coach becomes un-level as the full air bags bring the coach up off of the jacks. I told Winnebago about it and they said it shouldn't do that but they didn't do anything about it. Great service!
We'll keep trying as it's a hassle to sell this and try to find another coach that has other problems. I've considered using a pry-bar inside to give the slide a bit of help in getting up over the hump and if I continue to have problems, now that I've sold the couch and there's less weight, I'll try the pry bar approach.
Thanks for the reply.
Again, I feel for you. Been there. Done that. Removes happy from trails.

I hope you contacted the factory when all of this started after you left. That would preserve their warranty and allow you to return in the Spring.

One last thought I have about that slide. Take a good look at the metal boxes that the rams ride in. Are they both shaped the same on that slide? I had one bend on my old '05 Vectra. They had to replace it. Till the day we traded the coach we never felt warm and fuzzy when the slide started in.

About the bags inflating when you start the engine? Call Freightliner and ask them who they would recommend you go to with this issue. That truly compounds your problem. You can't bring in the slide if the chassis is flexing.

To be honest, I never liked the '05 Vectra 40FD. It was not a good match for me. Besides all of the mechanical problems, it was uncomfortable. I am only 5' 7" and it seemed the coach was built for someone 6' or taller. I found the coach we have now 1200 miles away from where we were. When we got the Vectra out of the shop we drove it FL to complete the purchase of this one. We are now very happy campers.

I hope you can get this issue resolved. It just makes for an uneasiness you just don't need when trying to find a way to relax. I am so sorry that all of our suggestions didn't improve your situation. Keep us posted. If a prayer will help, I'll do that.

Rick Y
Old 03-21-2015, 03:26 PM   #31
Winnebago Master

Quote:
We just had the coach 40AD to the plant and they installed new pads and did all the adjusting. When we left, the next day, the slide barely came in but that was the norm so I thought it was ok. Next stop and went to leave and I had to go out and rock the coach for the slide to get 'over the hump' and then it went in fine. It's been hit or miss ever since and that's only a couple months and a few times with the slide out. Fluid is fine and we're going to get the couch out of here and bring in a couple of lazy boy's and then clear out everything that's heavy in the compartments. I know after getting it worked on before the Winnebago plant (up in Washington state where they didn't know how to ship the pads properly) it worked ok for a few times but still was a bit slow on the 'hump'. I think at this point, everything out of the compartments will do the trick as that seems to be the only option. Sad for sure as we live here and need the storage space. I had hoped that an increased pump or some other trick would do. I see that there are two opinions of retracting the slide. One is with the jacks up and the other with them down. If they're down and the engine is started, then the air bags fill up and the coach can become un-level as did happen already. With the engine running, and even increasing the rpm's it didn't really help getting it over that hump so I'm figuring the weight is the issue. The designers don't live in these things or they might have discovered this problem.
At the factory, I'd have to say that 75% of those in there we in there for slide issues among other things. Very sad commentary on Winnebago. When I had it in the shop in Washington state, there was another one in there of same year with the same problem, slide was pushing the outer wall out along with the inner wall allowing the ceiling to drop down. I told the factory about that and showed them and they didn't even know what that was all about.
I'll keep a look out for more posts, thanks for all the help.
A factory in Washington State??? Never heard of one there. Are you talking about a dealer? If so--Which one?
Old 07-30-2015, 02:14 AM   #32
Winnebago Watcher

Here's the latest on this issue from snowbirdnw's husband... I lubed the area in the slide where it has to go up before coming in and it's working like greased lightning now aftere getting rid of the couch to try lightning the load and it still didn't work so the lube does the trick and if it gets clogged or dirty, I'll just spray it with simple green and hose it out and re-lube it. Sad that they didn't tell me that at Winnebago plant!
Viking1358 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new member, slide out, slide