Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2010, 05:40 PM   #1

new owner of vintage minnie winnie help

I am the new owner of an 83 minnie winnie. It is in great shape mechanically. I am wanting to insulate the cab over and maybe make an insulated headliner for it. I am also looking for a solution to the extreme heat generated at the "hump" in the cab. Is it safe to put up the solar reflective material in the cab over and can I make a sort of skirt of the same quilted material to put over the hump inside the cab? TIA
ruth
gabbriellew is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2010, 06:07 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome aboard. We are not too far down Hwy 290 from you.

We had a 1999 Minnie Winnie and the cab floor and dog house were really hot. I used some heat barrier from J.C. Whitney. It was a 3/8" thick fiber with a foil barrier. Take the engine cover off and use spray adhesive to glue it to the engine side of the cover. I halso pulled up the carpet and put the heat barrier there as well.

I do not like the kit sold by Camping World as it is really just the bubble wrap stuff and not really rated for close proximity to the exhaust manifolds.

Got any questions, send me a PM.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:09 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Gabbriellew,

Just wanted to stop by and welcome you to the forum. LOTS of people here with tons of knowledge. I'm sure that you will receive plenty of replies to your post.

I have a vintage TT (85) and am really enjoying it.

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:26 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbriellew View Post
I am the new owner of an 83 minnie winnie. I am also looking for a solution to the extreme heat generated at the "hump" in the cab.
We had a '97 Ford class C and I remember how hot the doghouse area could get. Our Jeep had a similar problem with the floor getting so hot you risked burning your feet. We solved the problem with a blanket type heat shield material we bought from Pepboys. It's been a couple of years but as I remember it was about $35.00 for a 4'x6' roll and was a kind of felt material with foil backing. We put it under the carpet and it made a huge difference. It also cut down the road noise. You could probably do the same thing by putting it over the doghouse, then covering with another layer of carpet.
RVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:09 AM   #5

Try this: The Official Dynamat Website
Also, be sure the engine cover is fastened correctly, and has a gasket all around the joint. We had a '76 Midas Mini on a Chevrolet chassis, and had no trouble with engine heat as long as the engine cover was properly secured.

What chassis do you have? (Ford/Chev/Dodge?)

/products_automotive_introduction.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbriellew View Post
I am the new owner of an 83 minnie winnie. It is in great shape mechanically. I am wanting to insulate the cab over and maybe make an insulated headliner for it. I am also looking for a solution to the extreme heat generated at the "hump" in the cab. Is it safe to put up the solar reflective material in the cab over and can I make a sort of skirt of the same quilted material to put over the hump inside the cab? TIA
ruth
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:00 AM   #6

thank you all so much for the helpful suggestions. My minnie is on a chevy chassis. As far as making a headliner, Would the best way to attach it be velcro or is it safe to use some other fastener? I do not want to damage any wiring. The ceiling is in good condition but all the wood makes me feel like I am in a cave plus I would like the extra insulation.
gabbriellew is offline   Reply With Quote