RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2016, 04:47 PM   #1

Question New Owner Questions

Hi all,

Just traded in our 2006 Jayco Class C for a 2016 Winnie Vista 31KE. Couple of questions come to mind and I wanted to take advantage of the collective wisdom of this group:

1) Like my Jayco before, I noticed this unit has a tendency to wander on the highway - what remedies have folks used and found effective? (I installed a Safe-T-Plus on my Jayco and it seemed to do the job.)

2) The 31KE has no rear roof ladder - any suggestions re: collapsible ladders (I need one bigger than 225 lbs.)

3) Little woman wants carpeting in the bedroom in lieu of linoleum - any suggestions: runners, carpet tiles, remnants??

Any help greatly appreciated!

Joe

oldjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2016, 07:04 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
First off, welcome to the forum! Here you will finds lots of advice and opinions for all things RV.

I don't have have a Vista, so I cannot comment on the tendency of it to wander. Someone else will have to respond on it.

As for the ladder, I just picked up a 16' collapsable ladder (Xtend & Climb) from Amazon. It is very easy to use and rated for 300b. It actually extends to 20' and I would stick with the 12' had I to do it over.

Enjoy your new MH!

Old 02-05-2016, 07:28 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
You might want to look under CHF (Cheap Handling Fix) on this forum. Also other folks have stated that the ride and handling improves once you have weighed the corners and have the proper pressure for the weight the tire is supporting by the tire weight chart for your brand of tire. I have not done the CHF yet but planning to once the rain stops. Hope this will give you a start to get the handling where you want it.
Devilsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 02:37 PM   #4

Yep, they do tend to wander. We had a 2011 32' Fleetwood on the Ford chassis, along with fighting the tail sway the engine noise was an annoyance too. I opted to install a rear "trac bar" it made a world of difference in overreacting to steering corrections.

Before you invest any money in suspension upgrades you must do a four corner weigh and adjust tire inflation for the brand of tires on your coach.

Truck stops, Pilot, Flying J, Loves etc. can do at least a front to rear comparison until you can find a location in your area to do an independent four corner. Need to load all your gear and fill the fuel tank and at least half a tank of fresh water. {That's what we normally travel with} Until you can get a four corner this alone will make a significant difference.

With the four corner you may find you need to shift items stowed to help equalize weight distribution. Lots of information on all the above---do a search.

A friend has a Vista, maybe 27", and did all the above and finally installed heavier sway bars and is now happy with the handling. Before you invest that kind of money you might want to do a systematic approach. We dumped the Ford and went Freightliner.

All of the above is my unqualified opinion. Your experience/opinion may vary greatly.
TarasParents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:14 PM   #5

I recommend you first read the gazillion+ posts about CHF (Cheap Handling Fix) in the Ford Chassis section of this site. CHF fixed most (70%+) of the sway and wandering on our 2010 WGO Vista 30W on a Ford F53 chassis. It costs almost nothing if you have basic tools like torque wrenches. I don't so I took it to the shop that does all my work and they knocked it out in less than an hour for about $50.

Caveat: I bought my rig used so it already had a Safe-T-Plus installed. By itself, the STP didn't prevent the "loosey-goosey" sensation.

Caveat #2: We came from a WGO View 23J Class C on a Mercedes Sprinter chassis. That chassis was tight, quick and nimble so our perceptions were probably colored when we first drove the Vista.

Good luck. We've found the Ford F53 chassis to be perfect for our needs.
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote