Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2017, 10:53 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

We've been towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee and like it. It's easy to set up to tow, has a comfortable ride, is good off road and with the back seats folded down gives you a lot of room for three dogs.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:55 PM   #22
Winnie-Wise

It seems that with most of the new cars on the road you are going to have to install a charge line to TOAD. Especially if your Aux brake system requires power. Spend the money and get er done. I would even go as far as upgrading to a 6 pin connection from the MH to the TOAD, unless yours has one of those special connections(Break Buddy Stealth).
Because when they put them in TOAD mode they either disconnect the battery, pull fuses, or shut off the charging ports so it doesn't run the battery down.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:09 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

This looks like the nicest toad charging system out there.

TOAD-CHARGE Dinghy Vehicle Battery Charger/Maintainer
Old 04-11-2017, 06:24 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Good info, and thanks for the link.
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:25 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by soricobob View Post
Good info, and thanks for the link.
I looked at that and considered other options. On our Jeep, for example, it was a simple fused wire run from the "hot" post on the wire harness to the battery. This one I rejected as overly complicated, but I liked the idea of a "metered" charge and ended up ordering this: https://rvibrake.com/products/towed-...ant=8804388741

Kind of a compromise between the two extremes.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:16 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

When we first towed our toad, then a 2011 Caddy SRX I plugged into the rear compartment receptacle as the front ones are inop. with ignition off. At our destination the SRX battery was almost depleted, but started the vehicle. Since I was already set up with a 4 pin round connecter I now use my jump pack to plug into and set it on the front seat.

Have towed 350-400 mile distances before it discharges. At night I take it in the coach to recharge. Maybe Mickey Mouse, but it's worked for me.
TarasParents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:40 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

I use a toad charge. It works great and I can pop the hood, see the lights are on and know that things are working.
crh97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:41 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
I looked at that and considered other options. On our Jeep, for example, it was a simple fused wire run from the "hot" post on the wire harness to the battery. This one I rejected as overly complicated, but I liked the idea of a "metered" charge and ended up ordering this: https://rvibrake.com/products/towed-...ant=8804388741

Kind of a compromise between the two extremes.
This one and the toad charge are basically the same. Without doing a more extensive study on each one I'd say either one looks good.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:48 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

New Toad

Here is another vote for the Jeep Grand Cherokee. We purchased our 2016 in June last year. I added a Roadmaster tow bar, light kit, SMI Plug and Play Duo (we have hydraulic brakes) and a LSL Toad Charge. When we are ready to tow, I hook up the hitch, with the Jeep running step on the brake, place the Jeep into neutral with a press of one button then place the tranny into park. I also turn on the SMI Duo, DONE!

One other thing I do, I turn on the MH lights and the 4 way flasher. I then go to the Jeep, check the tail lights are on and the brake lights are flashing. I also go to the SMI control box, reduce the sensitivity until the Jeep brakes come on ( SMI needs two things to activate, a brake signal from the MH and sensing the "stop motion" by reducing the sensitivity I simulate the motion). This does 2 things, tests the SMI and actives the dash mounted braking light so I know everything is working properly. I then move the sensitivity back up until the SMI unit stops pulsing to the flashers. I also installed a LSL Toad Charge so I don't even have to worry about the toad battery!

This seems complicated, but once you do it a time or 2 it takes less than a minute! Oh yeah, I forgot to mention we are just completing a 7,500 mile, 5 month, cross country trip (Cape Cod to LA for the Rose Parade and back) with no problems!
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:12 AM   #30
Winnebago Owner

I wanted the Grand Cherokee Trailhawk. Of the few we looked at (also looked at the Lincoln MKX - rode like a lumber wagon), wife preferred the Acadia (she loves the park assist features, especially the 360 view cameras). I mistakenly agreed to see what the trade difference would be between the two before we decided, Trailhawk to Acadia Denali. The Acadia came out $5k less, in large part due to a GM incentive program. Was hard to argue after that.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
Old 04-18-2017, 08:01 AM   #31
Winnebago Owner

Acadia charge line installed

Installed the RVi toad charge yesterday. Toad charger

Super simple install. The "hardest" you'll work is routing the wires.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
Old 07-04-2017, 08:24 AM   #32
Winnebago Owner

Acadia or G5

I pulled the plug. I bought the 2017 Acadia. I noticed the manual says to put in neutral, pull up the shifter boot up and press the button but unsure what that does? Anyone know? I guess I could ask the dealer. lol

I checked with M+G and they have a new product. "The normal M&G Brake will not fit that vehicle We are developing another brake that pulls on the the brake pedal with air cylinder mounted under hood, power brakes are activated also". A hole gets cut thru the wall to allow the tube to fit thru to gain access to the brake pedal. Not sure I want to do that. I guess I'll just use my brake buddy.

My other alternative is to just steal my Pontiac G-5 from my granddaughter at college and use it again. She won't need it. She should be studying anyway???

Tags
toad