Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2006, 03:35 PM   #1

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, but since I own a Winnebago I'll share my experience here.

Our coach was purchased Jan 2004, by the orig owner, we bought it Nov 2004.

We got a good deal (I think), but this was our first MH. Learned a lot after our purchase.

We had several small items fixed under Winnebago 12 month warranty, no problem. We also had several items fixed under Workhorse warranty, which runs out this coming Jan, most recently leaking rear axle seal & contaminated brake fluid.

But if you are the second owner of an almost new unit, be aware that almost all the individual items in the coach that carry a warranty longer than 12 months are not transferrable. The 10 year roof warranty is one. The 3 year HWH warranty (slides & jacks) is another. Also, you can not take advantage of the Allison extended warranty by changing to Transynd.

Insurance, we have National Interstate thru RV Advantage. We were not able to get replacement policy because we are second owners, but were able to get purchase price replacement. We could have gotten replacement cost thru Progressive, but due to the timing it was over the 2 model year rule.

We have put over 19K miles on our coach & it is working just fine, even the front RCA TV. I need to pull the Hot Water Heater to fix the coach aux heater, but am waiting for cooler weather.

Many members have said the best insurance is research, research, research, & I agree. We learned a lot thru this experience.

I'm not sure exactly what day our coach was put together, but the workers must have had a great weekend before.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2006, 03:35 PM   #2

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, but since I own a Winnebago I'll share my experience here.

Our coach was purchased Jan 2004, by the orig owner, we bought it Nov 2004.

We got a good deal (I think), but this was our first MH. Learned a lot after our purchase.

We had several small items fixed under Winnebago 12 month warranty, no problem. We also had several items fixed under Workhorse warranty, which runs out this coming Jan, most recently leaking rear axle seal & contaminated brake fluid.

But if you are the second owner of an almost new unit, be aware that almost all the individual items in the coach that carry a warranty longer than 12 months are not transferrable. The 10 year roof warranty is one. The 3 year HWH warranty (slides & jacks) is another. Also, you can not take advantage of the Allison extended warranty by changing to Transynd.

Insurance, we have National Interstate thru RV Advantage. We were not able to get replacement policy because we are second owners, but were able to get purchase price replacement. We could have gotten replacement cost thru Progressive, but due to the timing it was over the 2 model year rule.

We have put over 19K miles on our coach & it is working just fine, even the front RCA TV. I need to pull the Hot Water Heater to fix the coach aux heater, but am waiting for cooler weather.

Many members have said the best insurance is research, research, research, & I agree. We learned a lot thru this experience.

I'm not sure exactly what day our coach was put together, but the workers must have had a great weekend before.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:13 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We purchased a 2002 in early 2005. When the motor on the hydraulic pump for the jacks and slides failed 2 weeks before the end of the 3 yr. warranty, HWH replaced the motor no charge, honoring their 3 yr. warranty. We registered with Winnebago as a second owner and was told all the Winnebago warranties were transferable to us.

At any rate, unless you just have to have a new rig, I still believe purchasing a well-cared-for used rig is still the better option in terms of depreciation and first year bugs (hopefully the first guy got those resolved). Of course, you can always get unlucky and get a rig that was a problem for the first owner. We're on our second used MH, and we learned with the first one to check out the coach and the previous owner's care and maintenance before purchasing.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:32 PM   #4

I agree on HWH, sorta.

After the 2005 GNR we stopped at the HWH factory. They replaced the line from the bedroom to the front of the coach & one seloniod for the bedroom slide, no ? asked.

But when we had another problem with the living room slide selonoid, on the road, I paid for labor. Still not bad, just different people I was talking to & they asked if I was orig owner.

I also would buy used again, just now I have more experience to go on.

Our experience, overall, has been good.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:30 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
We bought our 04 Journey in Jan/05. HWH, Sharp, and Winnebago honored our warranties. HWH replaced hoses last year and bad guides this year. Winnebago painted a rusty windshield frame, in 05, they painted a the side of our rig which we thought was overspray but was a bad repair done by the original owner. Dometic has paid for work on our blasted electric awning. The thermostat on our air conditioner was replaced. sorry to hear of your problems. On some items we called the vendors ourselves, others the dealers delt with. We have GMAC insurance, full replacement 1st 5 and price paid there after.