Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2008, 05:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

We are on our first outing with our 06 Adventurer 38R. All was well for the first three days. DW tried to do dinner dishes only to find when she turned on hot water nothing came out!! The same thing happens in bathroom. The cold water works fine. I did turn hot water heater off and have waited over an hour hoping it would reset but it has not! Is there something I am missing that needs to be done?

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:46 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We are on our first outing with our 06 Adventurer 38R. All was well for the first three days. DW tried to do dinner dishes only to find when she turned on hot water nothing came out!! The same thing happens in bathroom. The cold water works fine. I did turn hot water heater off and have waited over an hour hoping it would reset but it has not! Is there something I am missing that needs to be done?

Equinox Toad
Old 09-09-2008, 07:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

You say "nothing came out". If so - the heater may be in bypass mode, or one of the check valves is stuck.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:28 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

If water heater is off, cold water should come out all hot water faucets. I agree you need to check the bypass setting and/or look for bad check valves. Probably the first thing I would do is remove the WH drain plug just to be sure there is water in the water heater tank!
Old 09-09-2008, 11:56 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AFChap:
If water heater is off, cold water should come out all hot water faucets. I agree you need to check the bypass setting and/or look for bad check valves. Probably the first thing I would do is remove the WH drain plug just to be sure there is water in the water heater tank! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or you could just trip the lever on the pressure relief valve and see if any water comes out. Most likely you accidently turned the bypass or winterization valve going into the water heater. It could be a stuck flow valve but this is a more rare occurance.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:05 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I had that last month and it was a stuck check valve. I was in Mississippi and it was hot enough that I could switch to bypass and use the "hot" water from the tank.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:22 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

this has happened before

Check valve problems
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:03 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thank you all for your help! It was the check valve at the back of the tank. I called Skips RV mobile service. He replaced the valve and we have our hot water back. We are at River Plantation in Sevierville Tenn, Skip was prompt, and reasonable. The valve was a real pain to get to. I think when I get home, I am going to try to relocate that valve so the tank won't need to be pulled. It seems like they didn't think that thing would fail!

Equinox Toad
Old 09-11-2008, 04:47 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stearn:
The valve was a real pain to get to. I think when I get home, I am going to try to relocate that valve so the tank won't need to be pulled. It seems like they didn't think that thing would fail! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Stearn,
I too had the check valve problem on our '05 38R. After I worked on it using a mirror to see around the corner we found there is a removable panel underneath the W/H compartment. Crawl under and look for a rectangular panel with rounded corners - it will just pop out and give access to the rear of the W/H.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote