Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2012, 08:43 PM   #1

Question No juice when plugged in -- ideas?

I am new to all of these things and hope some of you can give me a quick course in RV intelligence.

I have an 88 Chieftain 27 footer. I need help with understanding the electrical system.

Here's what's happening that I don't understand:

* With batteries in place I can run the 12 volt. Got that figured out. LOL Of course, the batteries drain in no time. Sob.

* So I plug into an electrical outlet. Now I can use everything. But, not so fast...... the batteries drain in no time. Sob again.

* When I am plugged into an electrical outlet and the batteries are dead I can't use the control panel that shows holding tank levels, clock, and all of that stuff. The water pump doesn't work, either.

* Just in case it was the switch (ignorance here... I call it the "choose whether or not to add extra battery to start switch), I placed it in all different positions to check whether or not the batteries would drain. They drained in all positions.

* I got new batteries in case the old ones were on their last legs and just couldn't take a charge but that didn't help.

* The converter is putting out 12vdc.

Can anyone tell me what to start looking at or how to take care of the draining battery problem? Like I said, I'm super new to this and want so badly to learn how to take care of all of this stuff myself. I've worked around cars and houses with all of the do-it-yourself things associated with them but the combo of 12 and 110 has my head going DOINK.

Help? I would appreciate it very, very much. Also, if there is a book I need to own that is a version of RV Systems for Almost Airheads, does anyone know the name and where I can get it?
route66fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2012, 08:56 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check the fuse on converter. 12 volts is no good. should be 13-14 range.

Mike
Old 05-21-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
KIX

Yep, I too think your converter is not putting out enough juice to charge your batteries. They should get charging current of about 13.5 volts.......not 12 volts.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
This should help give you the basics
The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)
Old 05-21-2012, 09:30 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Go to my thread "is my converter broken" Lots of info, in the end though it was the wire running to my converter. Someone had spiced it between the battery and the converter and it came apart and we couldn't see it. I spent almost 2 months trying to figure it out. Finally called a mobile repair guy and he found it in 15 mins.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:53 PM   #6

THANKS!!!! You are all lifesavers!

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the help. I'm back at the drawing board to see what I can do now. Going to check my wires for bad connections, check that output and keep on a trackin' (Did I age myself by paraphrasing "Keep on a truckin'" -- eek!).

The link to the 12v page has fantastic information.

Hugz to ya'all........ off to play with it now.
route66fever is offline   Reply With Quote