RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2019, 03:09 PM   #1

No land line power

We have a 2018 Winnebago Fuse that we have had plugged into our friends 110 outlet while we visit in San Antonio. We had power last night but this morning nothing. I checked the cord from the 110 supply and had power but nothing going to the RV. Fuses and circuit breakers are ok. Checked the gfci in the kitchen. Pushed the test button and nothing happened. I thought the reset was supposed to kick out. Any thoughts on where my electricity is hiding?

cbald51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2019, 03:15 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbald51 View Post
Checked the gfci in the kitchen. Pushed the test button and nothing happened. I thought the reset was supposed to kick out. Any thoughts on where my electricity is hiding?
Neither the Ďtestí nor the Ďresetí button will do anything if there isnít power at the receptacle.

But if your inverter/converter/charger has 120V pass-through for shore power, I would check the breaker on the unit itself. Mine has both incoming and outgoing circuit breakers, so when the outgoing tripped once, the whole coach was dead.

Old 12-07-2019, 05:53 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
We have a 2018 Winnebago Fuse that we have had plugged into our friends 110 outlet while we visit in San Antonio. We had power last night but this morning nothing. I checked the cord from the 110 supply and had power but nothing going to the RV. Fuses and circuit breakers are ok. Checked the gfci in the kitchen. Pushed the test button and nothing happened. I thought the reset was supposed to kick out. Any thoughts on where my electricity is hiding?

Crank the generator and see if you have power.
May reset the switch box.
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:01 PM   #4

Quote:
so if nothing going to the rv why are you messing with breakers, fuses, gfci? if nothing going to the rv the problem is external to the rv. please tell us you are checking with a multimeter!

do you have an ems in the power path that may be blocking power from flowing?
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:16 PM   #5

Do you have 120 volts at the shore power??? Do you have 120 volts at the end of your shore power cord?? Do you have 120 volts at the main breaker?
Old 12-07-2019, 07:20 PM   #6

Quote:
You have no power on the GFI circuit. You let the smoke out smoeplace.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:34 AM   #7

Most 110v house circuits have a 15amp breaker/fuse. (14Awg White Romex)
Unless the home was built with the heavier duty Yellow Romex wires (12Awg) in which case you can use 20amp breakers.

Either way, the coach might be using far more juice than 'Shore' can supply on a 110v circuit.

We popped a 15amp breaker on a 110 shore line from having the A/C on along with just a few lights. The display showed we were using 16Amps.
ShaunAED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:43 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If you have power from the source to the shore power cable check the load side (house) of the transfer switch. These can fail.
oldnavycdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:53 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
cbald51 said. " I checked the cord from the 110 supply and had power."
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:11 AM   #10

As others have stated, if there is power at the end of the cord to the house, but no power to your main panel (have you checked?), the only device in between is the transfer switch or the cord to the transfer switch (different than the cord to the house.)

Begin at the transfer switch only if you are careful and comfortable with testing "hot" AC circuits. Is there power at the incoming terminals for AC inside the transfer switch? If not, the RV power cord has an issue.

If so, check the outlet (load) terminals that go to the panel. Is there power? If not, the transfer switch contacts are faulty/dirty/stuck.

If so, check power at the main panel breaker. Is there power? If not, bad connection somewhere between transfer switch and panel or within panel or bad breaker.

If so, is there power to the inverter breaker? If not, faulty connection between main and breaker sub panel or bad inverter breaker.

If so, is there AC power from the inverter? If not, check the circuit breaker on the output side of the inverter.

Given what you posted, however, I suspect a tripped breaker on the inverter. Check that first and save the time of trying the above diagnostic tests.
Ljwt330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 07:27 AM   #11

6 days. I hope the op got it fixed.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
As others have stated, if there is power at the end of the cord to the house, but no power to your main panel (have you checked?), the only device in between is the transfer switch or the cord to the transfer switch (different than the cord to the house.)

Begin at the transfer switch only if you are careful and comfortable with testing "hot" AC circuits. Is there power at the incoming terminals for AC inside the transfer switch? If not, the RV power cord has an issue.

If so, check the outlet (load) terminals that go to the panel. Is there power? If not, the transfer switch contacts are faulty/dirty/stuck.

If so, check power at the main panel breaker. Is there power? If not, bad connection somewhere between transfer switch and panel or within panel or bad breaker.

If so, is there power to the inverter breaker? If not, faulty connection between main and breaker sub panel or bad inverter breaker.

If so, is there AC power from the inverter? If not, check the circuit breaker on the output side of the inverter.

Given what you posted, however, I suspect a tripped breaker on the inverter. Check that first and save the time of trying the above diagnostic tests.
We had the unit checked at the dealer and the inverter was bad. Good news was that Winnebago will cover it. Bad news new part wasn’t available for 4-5 days so they will have new inverter sent to dealer closer to where we will be staying. Thanks to all for the information.

cbald51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power