RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2019, 07:21 PM   #1

No side sealant

I came across something today that I think is odd, but maybe it's not. My new to me 1999 adventure 34V has no sealant in the side seams anywhere. It appears there's never been any in there. Is this common?

lorim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2019, 07:31 PM   #2
Member since 2005

Winnebago Owners Club
Check the Sealant Callout Sheet for your specific model;

Winnebago Industries

Old 04-17-2019, 07:05 AM   #3

Thanks, I do have the original call out sheet. The previous owner kept everything and left it in the RV when they traded it in.
Anyway, the call out sheet does call for it.. I just found it odd that there isn't any up there. I was cleaning the gutter track and behind it where the caulking will go last night and also noticed the front cap has no calking either, I can actually see the styrofoam under the edge.
I'll probably never know for sure but what the heck happened to it? Was it never applied? Was it removed and not replaced? Why would somebody do that?
Old 04-17-2019, 01:47 PM   #4

My 2000 Adventurer (also new to me, I'm 2nd owner) didn't have any either. I don't think they use it, the fiberglass roof just "tucked" down behind the gutters. But apparently this was a problem on some of them (it was cut to narrow & the wind caught it on some. There are drain holes in the gutters to get rid of the water, (which could plug up)

I just resealed my coach completely, & squirted the sealant between the gutter & the fiberglass. Then got rid of the excess with my finger, worked good. I used a special new style white silicone but is not silicone according to my dealer! I told him I didn't want silicone, he said it wasn't silicone (even though it said silicone) we went back & forth on this in a joking manner! Anyway its kind of runny, but cleaned up really well.

I ended up resealing all around my windows etc but did not use this stuff as it would have sagged & ran on vertical seams, good luck.

I am in no way an expert here, but didn't want to take any chances on water leaks!
lincolnmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:01 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
We had a 2001, a 2005 and a 2011 Winnebago. All required some attention to that joint. I think if there is no caulk present you are on borrowed time I would get the proper caulk and get the seam filled!!!! It's not a major task. I laid down on the roof and put it in; wiping the excess as I ent along.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:49 AM   #6

Thank you both for answering, this strangely makes me feel a little better knowing its not just me . I really do love this MH its just overwhelming sometimes with the things you need to learn to maintain them.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:33 PM   #7

First off, my MH was sealed properly from the factory, but that was long ago and the sealant required removal, cleaning and replacment.

I re-sealed my side seams 4 years ago: https://winnebagoind.com/resources/s...%20Sealing.pdf
PAY ATTENTION TO THE NOTE/ 1st paragraph; nothing will stick to silicone as it says.
I used NUCO 311 self-leveling bright white self-leveling sealant as advised(equivalent to OEM) by that Winnebago pdf. It's a trick to use self-leveling sealant for that seam, too much and you have a mess running down the side of the MH and filling the gutter, too little and it may not seal correctly.
At the front cap I must have used 2 tubes of the non-self leveling sealant, the gap was so wide I even put backer rod in there so the sealant had something to stop it from just falling into the big void.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy Read more at: John_F_Kennedy_1961
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seal, sealant