RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2019, 05:27 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Noise coming from the back

Ok, let me try to explain, we notice a noise kind of like what a drill makes maybe a winning sound.
It starting at night and last anywhere from a 2-3 seconds to 10 and can start and stop maybe 5-6 times a night and during the day as well but since we are not in the coach in the daytime we don't notice it.
Wife thinks it sounds like the auto levelers but of course the coach doesn't move.
I try to run outside when it starts but it stops before i even get out the door.

Any thoughts ?

pmoroney is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2019, 05:35 PM   #2

Could be the converter/charger cooling fan kicking on and off.

twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:26 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
where would that be located and what is it for?
Old 02-08-2019, 08:39 AM   #4

The converter is typically installed in the lower section of the breaker/fuse panel.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:48 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Potable Water pump
Old 02-11-2019, 09:42 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Not the Fan

I don't have a fan at the converter so that is not it.

It is not the water pump either I no the sound, it is some type of electric motor.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:53 AM   #7

Well, this is probably a long shot and doesn't actually fit the description except for the sound, "...kind of like what a drill makes maybe a winning sound.".

If this is a gas rig, perhaps the fuel pump is starting to go? Although even that doesn't quite fit as most times it's a continuous whine.

I'll be standing by to see what the issue actually is. And if I'm right do I win SaddleSore's Foretravel?
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:30 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Another thought - the inverter, if it is not the converter. The converter puts out 12 volts to run the rig and charge the batteries. The inverter does the opposite to run tv, perhaps the frig, etc. It would be helpful to know what year and model you have.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:40 AM   #9

Do you have a tankless water heater? It will keep HOT water coursing thru the system so it comes on and off to do that. It is a pump so it would have/make the kind of noise you describe. In my 19 Navion, the tankless unit has an energy saving position. It will cycle the pump less often based on temperatures.

Check it out.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:45 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
No Tankless water Heater

No Tankless water heater, why would the fuel pump run when the RV is off?

Does the inverter make that kind of noise? I have never heard this before.

Thanks for all the ideas, please keep them coming.

Patrick

1013 Itasca Sunstar 26HE

Boise,Idaho
Old 02-12-2019, 08:48 AM   #11

My first thought was the levelers.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:49 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I think twinboat has it right. Your converter fan bearing is worn out. So where is it you ask? From the looks of the 3d drawing, it appears to be under the stove, behind the control center. You should be able to get to it by removing the panel under the stove with the vents. There may be a drawer directly under the stove (I can't tell from the drawing) If there is, and you remove it, you may be able to look down and see it if they didn't blank it off. However, Winnebago has a tendency to hide things. Good luck getting to it.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:57 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Note - you cannot see the converter fan without getting in there.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:11 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Attached is a photo of the drawing showing the placement of the converter behind the breaker panel. That may be the other way to get to it if you can't access it from under the stove.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Converter.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	234890  

Tags
noise