Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2018, 07:30 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jeff & Twinboat,
Still getting used to DP. Old MH frig was AC (Shore/Gen) or LP. Setting on Auto would do LP unless plugged in. DP has inverter in system. When setting on Auto it goes to inverter instead of LP when no shore/gen. Must set on LP period and if plugged in to shore power either leave on LP or switch to AC. This is no problem for me as I will be leaving it on LP unless I'm going to be parked on shore power for a longer period than just a day or two - that way I won't forget. (Old age creeping in fast! LOL)

Jeff, are all of your AC plugs in DP wired to inverter? It seems mine are all on the inverter which creates a problem that I need to watch because any AC charger, clock, radio, etc. draws continuous power. I've always left phone and computer chargers plugged in but now will unplug them except when using them. When inverter on it draws power even with nothing plugged in which is why I just started turning it off when I'm not on shore power/gen. When driving no problem because alternator provides sufficient power.
Does your DP charge chasis battery when plugged into AC? My chassis batteries go to 12.7v max while Coach batteries go up to 13.3v at full charge.

Twinboat: With my 12v batteries only going up to 12.7v for chassis and 13.3v for coach they would be below 12.5v when boon-docking and preparing just one meal using the microwave unless using the generator which is not always possible. 12.5 seems to be well above the 50% mark. My 3 batteries are 350amp each for a total of 1050amp - so where would my 50% marker be? Still learning how to compute this.

Thanks for the info. I just don't want to ruin these batteries AND I want to learn all I can about this DP. Taking info learning here and creating a quick reference library. So much knowledge on this site.

Have a great day - Richard
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2018, 04:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtribble View Post
Jeff & Twinboat,
Still getting used to DP. Old MH frig was AC (Shore/Gen) or LP. Setting on Auto would do LP unless plugged in. DP has inverter in system. When setting on Auto it goes to inverter instead of LP when no shore/gen. Must set on LP period and if plugged in to shore power either leave on LP or switch to AC. This is no problem for me as I will be leaving it on LP unless I'm going to be parked on shore power for a longer period than just a day or two - that way I won't forget. (Old age creeping in fast! LOL)

Jeff, are all of your AC plugs in DP wired to inverter? It seems mine are all on the inverter which creates a problem that I need to watch because any AC charger, clock, radio, etc. draws continuous power. I've always left phone and computer chargers plugged in but now will unplug them except when using them. When inverter on it draws power even with nothing plugged in which is why I just started turning it off when I'm not on shore power/gen. When driving no problem because alternator provides sufficient power.
Does your DP charge chasis battery when plugged into AC? My chassis batteries go to 12.7v max while Coach batteries go up to 13.3v at full charge.

Twinboat: With my 12v batteries only going up to 12.7v for chassis and 13.3v for coach they would be below 12.5v when boon-docking and preparing just one meal using the microwave unless using the generator which is not always possible. 12.5 seems to be well above the 50% mark. My 3 batteries are 350amp each for a total of 1050amp - so where would my 50% marker be? Still learning how to compute this.

Thanks for the info. I just don't want to ruin these batteries AND I want to learn all I can about this DP. Taking info learning here and creating a quick reference library. So much knowledge on this site.

Time to recheck your batteries. 350 AH each would be a huge battery. Never seen a 12 volt battery over 250 AH.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:47 PM   #17

I have... A guy at Lake Cahuilla had some batteries I’ve never seen before and claimed something similiar to those ratings. Wonder if its the same coach? They had to be AGM as they were layed in sideways.

The Meridian with the 2000w inverter from the factory is a whole house inverter, ie- all plugs.. You should never run on Auto or youre gonna be chewing those batteries fast. I have converted all my USB chargers to 12v so I can charge anytime without the inverter on. PC is a different issue..

Never, ever leave the inverter On unless you're using it. Just sitting idle it will draw around 4A unloaded. Add to that the standby currents of the TV, Sat Rx, etc. they all add up to kill the battery

I’m also curious about those batteries. Can you dredge up a model number?
This is the house batteries only and not total of the chassis batteries as well, No?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:23 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
If it is a residential refrigerator and using 450 watts then he happened to catch it during a defrost cycle. This lasts for about 10 minutes and then drops the heater and turns compressor back on ad uses approx 130-150 watts. Should rur 35-50% of the time in a 70 degree room. Warmer the room, more run time
KohtangFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:44 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jeff, Twinboat,

Rexx Batteries Deep Cycle 180/RC part # 27MX-DC
This is from my printed out receipt. Can't see anything on battery to identify them unless I pull them out and getting ready to hit the road today and won't be back until tomorrow.
Salesman/Tech told me they were 350amp each and he checked the inverter to make sure it didn't need to be reset.

Having no problem with these new batteries but I'm babying them.

The inverter definitely draws 4amps - salesman told me this was normal and not to worry about it. I have to have the inverter on to run the AC and interior lights but when doing that I am using shore power or gen so not concerned about it. My wife does want a night light on - since her strokes she feels the need for some light even at home. If fully charged don't see any major draw down with inverter on over night with night light when boondocking but will find out if we get to leave Thursday for a short trip to CO.

Will be calling Rexx today or tomorrow to check batteries for sure.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:00 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtribble View Post
Jeff, Twinboat,

Rexx Batteries Deep Cycle 180/RC part # 27MX-DC
This is from my printed out receipt. Can't see anything on battery to identify them unless I pull them out and getting ready to hit the road today and won't be back until tomorrow.
Salesman/Tech told me they were 350amp each and he checked the inverter to make sure it didn't need to be reset.

Having no problem with these new batteries but I'm babying them.

The inverter definitely draws 4amps - salesman told me this was normal and not to worry about it. I have to have the inverter on to run the AC and interior lights but when doing that I am using shore power or gen so not concerned about it. My wife does want a night light on - since her strokes she feels the need for some light even at home. If fully charged don't see any major draw down with inverter on over night with night light when boondocking but will find out if we get to leave Thursday for a short trip to CO.

Will be calling Rexx today or tomorrow to check batteries for sure.

The 180 RC calculates to about 75 AH. There is a formula you can download.

If you have 3 batteries, figure about 225 AH total capacity.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:28 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by KohtangFred View Post
If it is a residential refrigerator and using 450 watts then he happened to catch it during a defrost cycle. This lasts for about 10 minutes and then drops the heater and turns compressor back on ad uses approx 130-150 watts. Should rur 35-50% of the time in a 70 degree room. Warmer the room, more run time
Read the thread. Its a standard 1200 Norcold and thats what they draw

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 09-18-2018, 02:32 AM   #22

Richard, you should have a switch in the kitchen and another in the bedroom that control two floor lights and its easy to navigate around with these at night.
I replaced mine with 2700k LEDs and draw hardly anything

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 09-19-2018, 06:56 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
Richard, you should have a switch in the kitchen and another in the bedroom that control two floor lights and its easy to navigate around with these at night.
I replaced mine with 2700k LEDs and draw hardly anything

That is the best way to go if a night light is needed.

If for some reason I need to run the inverter all night, I have power strips in various area like TV/sound system and the micro wave, and I just turn those power strips off to eliminate parasitic drains through the night. I was surprised at how much the micro wave takes, just sitting idle. If I remember correctly, it was like over 2amps, which adds up overnight.
'95 Safari Serengeti 38', 300hp 6CTA8.3L Cummins, 6spd. Allison, Pac brake, Magnum chassis, Valvet Ride (torsilastic susp.), VW Jetta TDI toad, Big tripple bay window (from floor to ceiling cabinets)!!!
beach house is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter