Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-09-2007, 02:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

When I check my Powerline center for the chassis (engine) battery volt reading what should it be reading when we are parked? I am assuming the following: recently arrived at a CG engine off; no charging taking place.

I just want to establish a number that I can use to monitor the starting battery while we are parked for a lengthy period. I never worried about this before but recently I had to get a jump start in order to get rolling as the volt reading had dipped to 12.3 V.

Nick, Journey '01
Old 01-09-2007, 02:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

When I check my Powerline center for the chassis (engine) battery volt reading what should it be reading when we are parked? I am assuming the following: recently arrived at a CG engine off; no charging taking place.

I just want to establish a number that I can use to monitor the starting battery while we are parked for a lengthy period. I never worried about this before but recently I had to get a jump start in order to get rolling as the volt reading had dipped to 12.3 V.

Nick, Journey '01
Old 01-09-2007, 02:20 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I would think 12.3V would be adequate to start your coach. If it were 11 or below, then I would understand it not starting.

Maybe something else is wrong -- such as your connections at the battery.

I had an occasion where the coach would not start; turned out to be loose battery connections.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 02:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Nick

Does your Journey was the "battery boost" switch? I have used mine to start the coach when the chassis batteries were bad ...also used it to start the genny when the house batteries were drained!
Old 01-09-2007, 02:57 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Check your ground straps, batt to frame and engine to frame.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Yes it does, but it didn't help any. My batts were original and therefore about 6 years old. I replaced them and I am just trying to get some info so that I can monitor my batts as I don't want to be stuck again.

I am thinking about adding a trickle charger although in 6 years I never had a problem starting the rig until the batts failed me.

Nick, Journey '01
Old 01-10-2007, 04:47 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Good batteries sitting idle with no (major) draw and no charge on them will be at approx. 12V. When charging they will have about 13-14+V on them, depending on how much charge it is taking.

I agree with the trickel charger when sitting idle for more than a week; maybe another investment should be on a Trik-l-Start, which charges the engine batteries when plugged into 110V. Your engine batteries do not get any charge even when plugged in; with parasitic draw on the batteries, they will draw down in a matter of a week or two.

New Journeys (beginning 2006) have the Trik-l-Start as standard equipment. They also have a chassis battery disconnect switch as standard equipment to prevent the parasitic discharge when not plugged in (for example when in storage).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote