Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2019, 04:42 PM   #1

Not a new guy, but returning after 6 years...

Hey folks, good to be back. Haven't been active since 2013, some rather pesky medical issues, put a definite cramp in my life.

Anyway, my 31' Class C, sat in my driveway for over six years, occasionally being used as a guest room when friends visited.

Last month, I decided enough was enough... watching my rig slowly disintegrate, was too much. Not being foolish enough to try and start the engine, I had it towed to a heavy truck shop recommended by the RV shop I've dealt with in the past.

After removing and boiling out the fuel tank, replacing the fuel pump and filters, flushing the fuel system, along with having the brakes inspected and lubed, a full tune-up, oil and filter change, and a flush/refill of the cooling system, the mechanicals are good to go.

After getting it back from the shop, I spent FOUR days, washing the accumulated grime off... thank God for Simple Green and Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. Surprisingly, when I was done, the rig looked pretty darned good... though the stripe decals were beyond saving, so with patience (and a heat gun), they now reside in the local landfill.

One concern I had were... the tires. They have very low mileage on them, they were replaced just before the rig was parked. They are Michelins, designed specifically for motorhomes. The tire tech at the shop inspected them and, because I'd kept them covered, he determined they were NOT in need of replacement. I'm going to be keeping a very close eye on them, for signs of deterioration.

My last little "problem" to deal with, is the fresh water pump... apparently it believed it was entitled to a permanent vacation. I'm going to be replacing that myself... so I thought I'd ask if there is any advice folks here could provide.

I THINK the pump is readily accessible, though I haven't dug into it yet.

Anyway, any tips... on anything I might need to be concerned with... would be appreciated.

I'm looking forward to getting to use my rig again... it's a 2001, with only 9,000 miles on it!
unca waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2019, 09:30 PM   #2

Welcome back! I bought my last water pump at a local farm store, same brand and model # as the old one for $30 less than the RV store, Camping World, or Amazon. OTOH, it could simply be a blown fuse or corroded connection for your pump.

FWIW, when we bought our MH it had been parked in the previous owners barn for 6 years due to owner health issues. The Goodyear G670 tires checked out, and I finally replaced them last year after 4 years of use by us; however every time I drove our MH I was edgy about a tire failure.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:40 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good to hear you up and around doing things again...gotta stay active for sure.

A few years ago my water pump quit working. Measured the voltage coming to it and discovered there wasn't any. Had a fuse blown. Replaced the fuse and it's been fine ever since.

My water pump is located in the water/sewer bay and very easy to get to.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 03:25 AM   #4

DUH... guess I ought to check the fuse first, sometimes the simplest things are those we overlook. I'd feel like a fool, if I were to go through all the hassle and cost of replacing the pump, just to find out a simple fuse replacement would've fixed it.
Old 05-05-2019, 05:47 AM   #5

Congratulations on getting back on the road! Enjoy! I'd be a little concerned about the tires, but one thing you could do is invest in a TPMS. You can get a system for a lot less money than replacing the tires and be able to monitor pressure and temps and get a warning if a leak develops. I have an EEZ RV Products system that I purchased for a travel trailer. I added two sensors after buying the Bay Star and plan to install 4 sensors on the tow car in the near future.

Safe travels, and welcome back!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:35 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Also check the ground connection on your water pump. That was the problem with mine - just a loose connection.
Enjoying the simple life w/a 1994 Winnebago Brave 31RQ (A). Past RVs; RoadTrek (B), Starcraft Pop-up, Coachmen (C), MinnieWinnie (C) and an American Something-or-other (TT). Started it all off as a teenager in a 1964 Apache Pop-up we named Wag Along.
minibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 04:56 PM   #7

Thanks for all the suggestions. With the coach having sat so long, I imagine there are all sorts of potential electrical connection issues that'll pop up.

Before I start throwin' parts at it, I'll just take the time to trace, clean and properly protect the connections. A question about protecting the connections... would it be advisable to coat the connections with die-electric grease after cleaning and reconnecting them?

Again, thanks for the ideas...
Old 05-10-2019, 11:00 PM   #8

I wouldn't/didn't bother to use any grease, it becomes a dirt magnet. I did use a battery terminal spray that neutralizes any acid and coats (it dries) the terminals to reduce corrosion. I cut paper to fit around a battery connection to avoid getting the red spray on the batteries.
It's almost impossible to check acid level in cells without rubbing against battery connections anyway; oil and grease in cells can shorten their lifespan too.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote