Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2015, 02:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Odometer Reading changed

Hope someone can understand this: 2005 Itasca Horizon 40AD
When we bought the MH it had 56200 miles showing on odometer.
We had some work done bout a year after we bought the motor home. Work was on slides and was told they hooked some wires up that were not hooked up. Didn't pay any attention to mileage until we headed for TX. We noticed the odometer reading wasn't showing or so we thought. We thought the little switch was not letting us switch between trip mileage and odometer reading. We didn't worry bout it and I kept trying to clear the 7462 showing as I thought that was trip mileage I hadn't cleared. We ordered a new switch thinking it had gone bad, a few months ago. Finally got time to take apart and there was a wire off the little switch. We put it back on and it seemed to be working but what I thought was trip mileage was the odometer reading! I checked the triptek (sp) and got the reading and it is the same as what is showing on odometer! This 7462 reading is close to miles we have put on since having the work done. Is there any way possible that they reset the odometer when messing with wires and such? I have our title of course with miles when be bought it but we can't figure out what has happened!
Any ideas and sorry this is so confusing!
Upslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We are getting ready to put it up for sale and would really like to figure this out!
Thanks
Old 07-23-2015, 06:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Although I have seen a number of postings saying that the odometer can't be reset, I know for a fact that when the MMDC on my brand new 2005 Vectra needed to be replaced just before I picked it up from my Winnebago dealer Freightliner was able to setup the new MMDC so that the odometer showed the correct mileage. Since it was the dealer and not myself dealing with Freightliner at that time I don't know the details of what was involved.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:07 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Ours did the same thing. It was an 05 Allegro Bus on a freightliner chassis. We had 52K miles on it and stopped for some picture taking and when we started up again it had 729 miles on it. After we had driven about 3000 miles, we had it checked by a freightliner dealer. He said the real miles in the memory was 55,000. I asked if they could reset the odometer, and he said that if it would have been an 06 he could, but being an 05 he couldn't. He did give us an affidavit that said that at that time and date the mileage was 55000. It never did that again, and we put another 25,000 miles on it before we sold it, but I have heard of others having the same problem.
steved44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:43 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upslady View Post
Hope someone can understand this: 2005 Itasca Horizon 40AD....
Is there any way possible that they reset the odometer when messing with wires and such? I have our title of course with miles when be bought it but we can't figure out what has happened!
Any ideas and sorry this is so confusing!
Yeah, 'they' could have put a 'spike' on the MMDC data bus.

We had an occurrence very similar to the Bus on the Freightliner chassis mentioned above. Started the coach one morning some years ago and odometer acted 'funny'. Did not display correctly, made no difference if switched between trip odometer and regular one. Turned off ignition the restarted. Odometer now read 52180 miles less than before!

Next time we were at Freightliner service in Gaffney, SC I spoke to the techs about the problem. No fix except to replace the MMDC at a cost of $400.00 back then and get odometer to start at zero. Kept our MMDC. Got Freightliner service manager to sign document explaining discrepancy.

I periodically check the difference between what the odometer reads and the reading found in the Service Section of the Freightliner Information Center. Then you also have the reading from Cummins, in our case, from the engine!!

2006 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 2004 Honda CR-V
NoMoreAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone, I was beginning to think I was loosing it! LOL Glad to hear it's happened to others. We just had it in to freightliner and wish we would of thought to have it checked! Does it have to be a freightliner dealer that checks it or can any shop do it?
Old 07-24-2015, 04:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Any shop that has a code reader can do it. It will display the "real miles", then you should be able to get an affidavit from them telling the date the odometer reading and the "real computer mileage reading". In our case they could replace the odometer, but then it would cost $200 and read "0" so it would still not be right. Good luck, Steve

ps: of course you could be "really loosing it"
steved44 is offline   Reply With Quote