Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2017, 07:16 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Oh no....more issues...slideout leaking

Beginning to get a little frustrated with the issues, but not giving up. After a good rain my dinette and the buffet were soaked. It appears that there used to be a light or something in the slide out ceiling and now there is a blank cover over that. It appears that there was water there, but not sure. Anyway now I am kind of thinking that I should take it to an RV place and have roof/slideouts thoroughly checked. Oops forgot to mention it is my new to me 2005 Vectra 40 AD, and with that being said how do I get on my posts the name and model I own. I see it on lots of peoples posts but don't know how to add it to mine.
wstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:24 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstalker View Post
Beginning to get a little frustrated with the issues, but not giving up. After a good rain my dinette and the buffet were soaked. It appears that there used to be a light or something in the slide out ceiling and now there is a blank cover over that. It appears that there was water there, but not sure. Anyway now I am kind of thinking that I should take it to an RV place and have roof/slideouts thoroughly checked. Oops forgot to mention it is my new to me 2005 Vectra 40 AD, and with that being said how do I get on my posts the name and model I own. I see it on lots of peoples posts but don't know how to add it to mine.
Top left "User CP" (Control Panel), then on the left side, Garage, Registry, Profile, details, etc.
(Assuming desktop interface here, not mobile...)
RCCFleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:30 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

We had a slide leak and discovered that it was the seams on the top, the membrane had buckled a bit and was allowing some seepage (doesn't take much for a lot of water to come it, and ANY water is bad). We used Eternabond tape and did the full seam on each side. I could reach them when the slide was in (step stool and a long arm). Something like that might help?
Heidi
Mostlyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:31 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Our '04 Vectra had two leaks over the slides. The slides were 'in' when I noticed the water pooling on top. However, it wasn't the slides as they are covered with the roll-out awning. (So, if yours leak when slides are out, that might be something different.) You have to look upstream or downstream from leaks, as water runs to the lowest point of course. So, our leaks were from the rain channel where the roof meets the wall and one was where the big awning is attached to the roof. I tried using Dicor self-leveling caulk. But, getting the old stuff out is very difficult, and most likely, I didn't get enough in the crack. After one attempt, and during a drive through dreary Iowa last February, the roof pulled out from the channel in one spot during high cross winds. So, I used The Tape. Eternabond tape that is, along the entire 40 feet of coach both sides. The black and silver tapes matched the coach colors fairly well, and from a few feet away, you can hardly tell it's there. No leaks.

Don't give up on your coach, we're very happy with our 2004 model Vectra. Had to spend some time and money getting it road worthy and livable too. Four new coach batteries first week out, Freightliner Oasis oil change, new coolant recovery tank, fixed two suspension/brake air leaks. I replaced two toilet water valves, 'city/fill' valve as well. The latter parts due to previous poor job of winterizing coach, valves froze and cracked. Our HWH hydraulic jacks make funny noises when lowering, unless I push the lowering button a couple times. We're currently north of Puerto Vallarta and the rough Mexican roads haven't beat up the coach too much!
Grenadiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:32 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Had the same issue with our '04 Vectra on the passenger side slide. If it rained very hard and was windy, we would get a drip from the reading light above the couch. I found that the slide topper was holding a lot of water. Never did figure out how the water got in though. I could push up on the topper with a broom stick and dump an ocean worth of water off. I have seen some people put a cheap air mattress under the topper to push it up letting the water drain. When I looked under the topper it looked dry and dusty. Even more strange, this winter we have had a couple pretty good rains and no drip.

Take a look to see if your topper looks slack. I'm thinking we will be replacing all three of ours this summer anyway.

To put your info on the bottom called your signature click on user CP (control panel) on the left you will see signature. Click on that and add whatever you want.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:35 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

You know those foam noodles kids use to play with in water? That's what a lot of people buy to put under their slide out awnings to lift them up and help water not pool.

As far as not finding the leak over a slide, and it being dry and dusty under the slide awning...that's probably a leak at the roof to rain gutter interface. The seal gives out and since the fiberglass roof shrinks and expands due to weather conditions, it can pull away from the seal altogether. Wind can get under the roof and lift it right off. As a result of the expansion & contraction, the seal should be checked at least once a year if not more.

Personally, I'm not much of seal checker so I just ordered 100 feet of 2" Eternabond. I'm going to tape the entire roof/side seam like Grenadiers suggests.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 02:30 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Grenadiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:58 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

So something else to look at. I had a leak on our slide and it turned out it was the electric slide lock. Our coach has an electric lock at the top center of the slide. This lock is like a small hole with a hook that moves up into a u bolt locking the slide in place while traveling. Anyway there is a small access hole on the outside wall of the slide at the very top. This is a "drain pipe" for the locking device. This hole had become clogged with stuff and once it was cleaned out using a long pipe cleaning wire water would again drain out of the lock. What was happening was rain and snow melt water was collecting in this lock and it began to then leak into the wall on the inside of the slide.
Seems that there is always something.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:07 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
As far as not finding the leak over a slide, and it being dry and dusty under the slide awning...that's probably a leak at the roof to rain gutter interface. The seal gives out and since the fiberglass roof shrinks and expands due to weather conditions, it can pull away from the seal altogether. Wind can get under the roof and lift it right off. As a result of the expansion & contraction, the seal should be checked at least once a year if not more.
The slide we had a leak from is below the awning. Even when retracted it covers where the roof meets the gutter. Had a couple of pretty good rains on it this winter and no leak. Go figure.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:21 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstalker View Post
Had a '05 vectra fd at one time. The slide roof design is very poor. Here is what I suggest if you don't have mold in the ceiling. (If you do have mold, call Lichtsinn RV, Forest City, IA and see if they can do a good repair. I had the factory do my bedroom slide roof but the quality of service has gone way down since then. Lichtsinn's has a very good reputation.)

With the slide in, clean the roof behind the trim if you can get your hand in there. I think you can. Once clean, get some small diameter backer rod (building supplier/HD, Lowe's will have it). You now need to put a bead of caulking at the roof to trim transition and press the backer rod into it. This is easier said than done.

Remove the topper roll and lay it back on the main roof. Clean the slide roof very well and caulk all of the seams where it attaches to the sides. Inspect the surface for hail damage and pin holes. New roof might be in order.

Because of the mold over my bed Winnebago had to replace all of the materials except the roof frame. Big bucks. I had to keep a close watch of it after and re-caulk from time to time.

Hope things work out for you on the cheaper side.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 04-01-2017, 05:50 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Check the slideout wiper seals. Thats the squeegy type seals. Make sure they are not damaged and are correctly aligned and overlapping at the top where the vertical and horizontal seals meet. We had a similar problem on the passenger side of our 06 Itasca Horizon. The rear vertical slide seal had about 4 inches missing at the top. Water damaged the microwave and leather ceiling. Good Luck.
KD4XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 03:55 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

had the same issue with water leaks in the back bedroom. I found that there was a separation in the roof and the water drains. I sealed it and no more water leaks. I ran a bead on both sides of the roof just to make sure. In places, I had a 1/4 inch separation.
bmickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:42 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Slide lock drain cleaning

I just want to pass along another tip to clean the drain holes besides the fuzzy pipe cleaners. I thought I had fixed the leaks (both slides) with the pipe cleaner but not so. This time I used a squeeze bulb (similar to a turkey baster) with a small hose attached and repeatedly sucked and blew into the drain hole. Amazing results! Dirt and water came out in volumes.
I now have this on my PM check list.

Winnebago Adventurer 38T 2008
Eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:48 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I know everyone with a 200000 coach says theirs never leak, but I believe if it is going to rain like a torrent, pull in the slides. Why take a chance. Slide toppers help, but wind driven rain can find its way in. I have only one slide, so I tip the coach ever so slightly toward the slide. This way water will run off the slide if it gets under the topper, not run toward the seals and possibly under them and into the coach. Some of us are running older rvs that are less than 100 percent. Every trick helps.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:40 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric2 View Post
I just want to pass along another tip to clean the drain holes besides the fuzzy pipe cleaners. I thought I had fixed the leaks (both slides) with the pipe cleaner but not so. This time I used a squeeze bulb (similar to a turkey baster) with a small hose attached and repeatedly sucked and blew into the drain hole. Amazing results! Dirt and water came out in volumes.
I now have this on my PM check list.

Winnebago Adventurer 38T 2008
I just had the same issue last week. Had cleaned the slide lock drains the recommended way with a long pipe cleaner just before we left our last location. Heavy rains caught us a few days after we arrived here in north TX. Water came in to the coach through one of the lock basins. When the weather cleared I used my compressor and about 20psi of air pressure to clear the plugged drain. Next rain was not a problem. Happy trails once again.

Your suggestion may be better than my method because it pulls the stuff out of the basin. My method simply fires it back up into who knows where. I will get a baby nose or ear ball cleaner and try it. Smaller than a turkey baster. Same idea. Thanks.

Rick Y
Old 04-13-2017, 07:50 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Just wanted to say thank you for all those that have posted the things they have done. Made some repairs and also have found that part of the issue is me not knowing how everything works. This site has been invaluable and I'm truly impressed with the folks who contribute. This issue has happened to many and I'm sure without everyone posting there has been many that have found it useful.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:11 PM   #17
RKL
Winnebago Owner

Eric2 Where are the drain holes on the slideouts? I see the ones in the drip rails but never saw one on the slideouts on my 02 Journey. Thks. Rkl
Old 04-14-2017, 08:52 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKL View Post
Eric2 Where are the drain holes on the slideouts? I see the ones in the drip rails but never saw one on the slideouts on my 02 Journey. Thks. Rkl
RKL, this issue is for folks with electric slide locks located in the roof of the slide. You have no issues to worry about. I didn't have them on my '05 vectra either.

Rick Y
Old 04-16-2017, 10:33 AM   #19
RKL
Winnebago Owner

Thks. Rkl

Tags
leak, slideout, slide