Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2010, 04:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Oil Change

I changed my oil today on my '05 Winne Adventurer and I ran into some problems that be of interest to some of you who have the dame MH. First, the HWH leveler brace runs from side to side just below the oil drain plug. It almost defies draining the engine without any hassels. I have one of the big flat, round drain pans that is a great gadget but it will not fit between the brace and the oil drain. The drain hole is angles aftward so you already know that the dirty oil will shoot aft and go all over the six inch wide brace. I put an old towel over the brace and had my cup funnel laying in the oil catch pan so that when the plug came out I would be able to catch the oil stream before it went every where. The good thing about my funnel is that it is elongated instead of round and has a cup shape with the spout on one end and you can have one end under the hole instead of a like round funnel which must be centered. Anyway, it worked well but I am disappointed in the lack of consideration for the poor slob that has to do the job. Maybe one of those drain valves with a detachable hose might work. I also had the oil filter from Auto Zone that the mensa sold me to replace the Fram that was on it. Needles to say after I filled it with oil and crawled back under the MH to install it, it was the wrong size! Hate became my friend at that moment. I could not retun it for a refund so I had to buy a new one. This time I used the Fram # on the side of the old filter to get one just like it. I discovered a little trick you might not know about. It is that if you are like me and fill your oil filter with oil before you put it on, you can't sit it on the ground because it is rounded. I used the little box it came in to slide it under the MH and keep it upright. Tomorrow I am changing my brake fluid with my new pressure, one man bleeder from Motive. I wll let you all know how that goes.
inspectorudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Yeah, it sounds as if you need the Fumoto N-series valve that has the nipple and the hose attached.

I know 4 or 5 RVers using them on their motorhomes and they swear by them. I don't do my own oil changes on the motorhome so I haven't used one on mine.

I think the Vortec uses the F-107N and the Triton uses the F-106N.

You can check the Fumoto website to confirm.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I checked their link and it looks like what I need. Thanks
Old 05-02-2010, 11:48 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Have used the Fumoto valve on a diesel pickup and my current MH. We have curbside oil recycling and all I have to do is put one of the gallon jugs under the coach, put the tub in the jug and let it drain. I just keep swapping jugs until the oil is drained. We recycle oil filters too so all I have to do is loosen the filter, slip the bag up the filter can and unscrew the filter. When loose, it falls down into the bag. No fuss or mess.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:44 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedLancer View Post
We recycle oil filters too so all I have to do is loosen the filter, slip the bag up the filter can and unscrew the filter. When loose, it falls down into the bag. No fuss or mess.
What an awesome idea! I changed the oil in my Grand Cherokee last Saturday and got oil everywhere when I took the filter off. Wish I'd seen this info a couple of days earlier! Next time....
RVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:38 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I installed the Fumoto valve on my MH and have added one to one of my cars (the one that gets the most oil changes). The Fumoto is well worth the price for the hassle it eliminates during oil changes.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks guys. I ordered one today for $21. Now I will just have to wait until next oil change to put it in.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:17 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I installed a Fumoto valve in my Cummins diesel engine last week with the clean and easy method of using a vacuum cleaner. I removed the oil filler cap and my shop vac fit snuggly in the opening. (I had my wife hold it there.) If the vacuum cleaner hose fits too loosely you can stuff a wet rag around it.

With the vacuum cleaner running I removed the drain plug and not one drop of oil came out. I was so impressed I left the drain plug out about a minute before installing the Fumoto valve. Then I put a hose on the valve and drained 24 quarts of oil into one gallon milk jugs, one gallon at a time.

The oil filter holds 3 quarts and I punched a hole in the bottom of it and let it drain into a bucket, then removed it with a filter wrench. I took a shop towel under the motorhome with me and when I finished it had one small spot of oil where I cleaned the engine drain plug. That was the easiest and cleanest oil change I have ever done and the next one will be easier.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:17 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
24 quarts of oil
Ah, another reason to own a gasser...
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:28 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I also installed the Fumoto valve. I used the wet vac install as mentioned earlier. Just put the vacuum hose in the oil tube and put a rag around it and had someone hold it on while I removed the drain plug and install the valve. Not a drop of oil was spilled.

Ronnie
Old 05-08-2010, 09:39 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Smile

Amen to that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
Ah, another reason to own a gasser...
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:40 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I need to try this vacuum cleaner trick. It sounds SO COOL!!! Although I already have the 106 Fumoto valve installed.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:51 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I'm with you on the vac trick. I just changed my oil and don't want to wait for a year to install the new valve.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:23 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

The Fumoto valve looks great and I'll probably own one eventually. However, I have used a simple and less-expensive device for several years and it works very well. I bought it at Auto Zone, maybe Advance, probably around $8.

The device comprises two brass parts and a hose with a threaded brass end. You install one brass part in place of the original drain plug. This part has a brass cap which threads on for traveling. When you change oil you just remove the brass cap with your fingers. No oil escapes at this point. You then screw on the hose and as you screw it on it opens a valve and the oil starts to drain through the tube. This device has pretty much eliminated spills at that part of the job.

Between oil changes I save the oily hose in a plastic bag.

Bruce
JucenBrudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:55 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

does the metal shavings come out as well ? I thought the OEM bolts had a magnet on them to catch any small debris and help to evaluate what is going on in case ?
Old 05-09-2010, 08:12 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbond View Post
does the metal shavings come out as well ? I thought the OEM bolts had a magnet on them to catch any small debris and help to evaluate what is going on in case ?
The Fumoto valve does not have a magnet like the OEM drain plug so you lose that feature.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote