Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2006, 06:43 PM   #1

Saw this note at a Winnebago dealer website:

WARNING:WINNEBAGO IND. IS ABOUT TO INSTITUTE A BAN ON DISCOUNTING THEIR MSRP ON THE INTERNET!!! BUY NOW WHILE YOU CAN!!!

Not sure what I think of it, if true. It would take a simple phonecall to get a price, right? What's the difference?

How about they institue a policy that says dealers have to show the MSRP vs. a made up SRP?

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2006, 06:43 PM   #2

Saw this note at a Winnebago dealer website:

WARNING:WINNEBAGO IND. IS ABOUT TO INSTITUTE A BAN ON DISCOUNTING THEIR MSRP ON THE INTERNET!!! BUY NOW WHILE YOU CAN!!!

Not sure what I think of it, if true. It would take a simple phonecall to get a price, right? What's the difference?

How about they institue a policy that says dealers have to show the MSRP vs. a made up SRP?

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 04:23 AM   #3

I have developed a healthy skepticism over the years concerning ANYTHING that leaves a salesman's (or dealer) lips unless I know them to be fully honest and upfront with me based on a long-term relationship. So I would be very suspicious about their proclamation until I could verify it somewhere else.

One tactic of sales is to always create a sense of urgency to buy NOW - "..this deal is only for today..", bla, bla, bla.

My take on this is it means absolutely nothing to the Winnebago coach shopper. Find the MSRP somewhere and whack 25% off; if the dealer won't deal, walk out and find another one. You will get 25% off somewhere.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 04:27 AM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

I agree with John...

Sounds like one of those "you'd better buy it now or it'll be gone tomorow" schemes my buddy Jeff was told several months ago....

I've ridden by that coach now for several months....still there!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 03:43 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
When we bought our Minnie Winnie a few years back, the dealer/salesman was trying some of the "only good today" and " last chance at this price" bull. I left it with him, that I'd think about it. Waited two days and called him back and told him that I'd buy his RV and at this price ....my final offer. He initally said no way and I told him to take it to the sales manager and ask him. If he agreed, I'd be over at luch with my deposit check otherwise I'd found another coach out of town (200 miles away). Called back and ask what time I would be there so he would be there as well.

I just don't push or bluff well

Ken.
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 12:43 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Waiting out the salesman is the only way to go. When I was looking at a new MH, we made appointments to see a Winnebago Journey, and an Itasca Meridian, at different dealerships. We were upfront with the salesmen at both locations and told them that we were going to go check out the other dealer's coach before we made a decision. What happend was we got a price on the Journey, a nice coach, and went back to the Itasca dealer. We told him we wanted the Meridian for the same price, and that their "extras" were not that important to us.

The bottom line was that we paid $2000 more for the Meridian than the Journey was going to cost us. The Meridian listed for $20,000 more. The moral of the story is do your research, and be willing to walk away. We got the higher line coach for about 27% off of list. There is room in the price, and if the dealer wants to sell the coach, he will meet your terms.

Sarge
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote