Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2015, 03:46 PM   #1

Opinions Regarding 2015 Winnebago 38Q

we've had two Winnebago motor homes over the last 29-years, a 1985 Chieftain which we traded in 2000 for our current Itasca Suncruiser 35U.the Suncruiser is starting to nickle and dime us so we've been casually looking for the last year or so.we're sticking with Winnebago as they've been very good to us with out-of-warranty issues.we're looking seriously at a 2015 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q.we like what we see but I wanted to toss out a couple of questions as we consider various options and std equipment.

HANDLING
· RV.ORG rates Suncruiser handling at 68 and says "could be fatiguing for most people because the vehicle could wander and be difficult to steer much of the time."i'd like to hear from anyone who has this chassis and whether you agee with this assessment.most of our driving days are 4-5 hours tops.

RESIDENTIAL FRIDGE
· after years of fussing, stressing and worrying we are ready to cut the cord to the RV fridge and opt for the residential fridge.we rarely boondock and our driving days are normally 4-5 hours long.I am concerned about maintaining the cold in the fridge/freezer while driving.is the alternator sufficient to supply power to the fridge via the batteries/inverter while not hooked up.what are some of your real-world experiences with the residential fridge while off-grid in the 38Q?

BATTERIES
· I usually remove my coach batteries at the end of the season.on our 2000 Suncruiser this is a snap as the batteries are located under the entry steps.this process looks to be a lot more difficult on the 2015 model as the batteries...the really, really large and heavy-looking batteries...are located in an outside compartment.I don't know how I'd ever be able to lift them in and out.I've seen this configuration on other Winnebago products and would like to hear thoughts from anyone who has this type of battery setup.
· the OEM batteries are AGM types...do AGM batteries *need* to be removed in winter, *should* they be removed in winter?where we store the RV in winter does not have electrical hookups.
· there are 4-house batteries...is there space for more?I usually get 4-5 years from my two 12-volt lead acid batteries.for those of you who have 12-v AGM's what has been you experience with regards to life cycle?

IN DASH RADIO/NAVIGATION
· an option we are considering is the combined radio/xm radio/gps infotainment center.we'd like to hear from anyone who has this option.how well does the am/fm radio receive?the radio in our current Suncruiser receives poorly even after fixing the radio cable system.does this radio have a decent receive range?
· the nav system is powered by Rand McNally...accurate or not?how are the maps and POI's updated?we've been using Street Atlas on our laptop but have been thinking of switching to in-dash navigation for simplicity and because the in-dash nav in our jeep liberty works very well.

MICROWAVE/CONVECTION OVEN vs GAS OVEN
· we actually use our gas oven, not a lot, mostly for baking cookies and bisquits.we're considering dropping the oven and going to the micro/comvection oven.we'd like to hear from those who have made a similar switch.happy with the switch and why?wish you had kept the gas oven and why?

DISHWASHER DRAWER
· if we opt for the microwave/convection oven we'd consider adding a dishwasher drawer.this would install in the same place as the gas oven.waste of money or an absolute great idea??

WASHER/DRYER
· we're considering the stacked twins option.I know all of the pro/con options and we can do a lot of loads at the laundry for the price of this option.my question is not should we/shouldn't we but rather how well do they work?I suspect that the capacity is larger vs. the splendide combo unit but do you find yourselves washing all day to gets a weeks worth of clothes done?are they quiet?use a ton of water?

SHOWER DOOR
· neither of us are small and the inward opening shower door concerns us.for those reading this who are of the larger persuasion (I'm 6'2, 200-lbs) do you find this to be a problem when exiting the shower?

thanks for taking the time to read this. looking forward to the replies.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2015, 02:16 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Opinions Regarding 2015 Winnebago 38Q

We have a '14 Adventurer 38Q.

Handling seems a little loose but not unacceptably so to me. We only do 5 hrs driving a day and both of us pitch in. I compare it to our previous 38 foot DP on the Freightliner chassis.

Have the Micro/Convection with the drawer stack so, not aware of how a dishwasher would change things. Would also like to hear more about it. With just the two of us, washing dishes the old way not an imposition to us.

Folding shower door is a little quirky the first couple of times I used it. Have to Learn to maneuver a little to exit shower. Shower seems tall enough for six feet plus though. DW and I are each 5-10.

We were neutral on the Fireplace option but went ahead with the purchase. It has become a favorite feature on cold nights. Ditto for the exterior television.

Awning off of the galley slide seems strange but works well. Over door awning is great in rain. Driver door works well but not sure how long I'll use it as I age. A little like the playground Jungle Gym.

Holding tanks are nominally large. However, the tank monitors leave much to be desired. They have external sensors but I don't think they are accurate. Wish the mid- price range manufacturers would finally get that right.

Residential fridge is another feature we were leery about but is actually a pretty great feature. Not convinced yet that the 100 watt solar panel is much help but the inverter handles the load well when driving without genset on. In summer, we always drive with genny running to use the roof air.

Heat pumps are great on the less than icy nights when you are hooked up to power. Avoids a few propane fills.

Fit and finish seems OK. window screens are cut a little too close. Kitchen and toilet room small casements have screens separating from the frame. Seems an easy fix. Won't bother with the dealer.

The lippert in-wall slides have given us problems that are hopefully fixed now. Installed wrong at factory according to dealer.

Lippert Levelers pump went out first trip. Fixed, I hope.

Power Gear slide on driver side was installed wrong at factory and was loose, causing a loud bang when extending. New screws fixed that.

Front MCD shade fell off on third outing. Had to use wire ties to hold in place until repaired.

Inner duallies should have come with extended valve stems. I had them added.

Wiper blades have to be the Trico 28 inch. Amazon has them. Goodyear or Michelin won't fit.

Stacked washer and dryer are a real pleasure. Work well. Never had that feature before. Does about half a regular house machine load. Wash takes about an hour and twenty. Dryer holds more than one wash load and takes about the same time. Not sure about water used per load but, it drains into the black tank. That was a surprise to me but I think it may help keep the deposits off of black tank wall.

F53 is a joy as far as ease of maintenance. I have have done both oil/filter changes myself without having to raise the front end. Add of a fumoto drain valve at last oil change should help with the oil draining onto the axle. Zero fittings are easy to reach and there are only nine.

Winnebago support page has downloads of base and supplemental manuals. Ford has same for F53.

Doing this on a tablet so don't have your post right in front of me. Hope I covered all concerns. We are generally glad with our purchase. One year on March 1. These are strictly my opinions. Other's experience may differ.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake
cochise1949 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago