Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2005, 11:26 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Why does our outside entertainment center display turn on by itself. We have noticed this happening several times. If we use the battery disconnect switch the display does not work. This indicates to me that it is not working off the chassis battery. This concerned us as our chassis battery has been losing its charge. In fact we are replacing it with a new battery tomorrow. When our battery lost power, the battery boost did not work. We had to jump the MH and it seemed to charge up ok but would lose its charge fairly quickly. We hope to have the battery boost looked at when we are at the GNR next month. In our last coach the battery boost worked like a charm when we needed it.
Nick and Sonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 11:26 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Why does our outside entertainment center display turn on by itself. We have noticed this happening several times. If we use the battery disconnect switch the display does not work. This indicates to me that it is not working off the chassis battery. This concerned us as our chassis battery has been losing its charge. In fact we are replacing it with a new battery tomorrow. When our battery lost power, the battery boost did not work. We had to jump the MH and it seemed to charge up ok but would lose its charge fairly quickly. We hope to have the battery boost looked at when we are at the GNR next month. In our last coach the battery boost worked like a charm when we needed it.
Nick and Sonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 01:20 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick and Sonia:
This concerned us as our chassis battery has been losing its charge. In fact we are replacing it with a new battery tomorrow. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I have decided that your average lead-acid battery lasts three to four years. This is based on my personal experience of dealing with them for many years. Coincidentally, most battery warranties are about three or four years

My experience is that when they fail, they fail without very little warning. Here today, gone tomorrow.

On all of our vehicles, I routinely replace the batteries after three, but never later than four years. Don't care about how they test. Out they go!

Don't have a clue why your outside entertainment center would turn on by itself. Only thing I can think of is that a power transient (spike or a momentary loss) is causing the logic to give it a power-on signal. Try a test - interrupt and restore power to the radio/TV/whatever very, very quickly and see what happens.

--John

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 02:58 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

For what it's worth, the same thing happens to me. I'll monitor and hopefully we'll find someone who knows.
Jeff Todhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 03:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I've had batteries last 7 or 8 years in cars, but I havent owned a motorhome long enough to test the above 3-year theory. I do imagine, however, that the coach batteries will go more quickly due to the way they are used.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:05 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Had the same problem. Called the vendor tech support (Jensen/Audiovox; 800-323-4815) & they could not solve problem. Said to send in the unit for repair (min charge was about $50-60 as I recall). I was about to look elsewhere for a replacement, when I tried one last resort: I mashed HARD (w/my finger) on the Power button. Felt a bit of resistance then a click, as the button depressed slightly further. Has worked ok since and has not turned On by itself since.

Highly technical solution (If brut force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it).

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 05:08 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

When my starting battery was discharged the boost switch did not work. I was told by my dealer that the relay for the boost was powered by the start battery and if it was too low it would not energize the boost. Your switch is probably ok.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:16 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Thudman may have the only logical solution other than to replace the unit. Mine did the same thing last summer and since it was under warranty, they just replaced it. Winnebago are not using those models any more I believe. The replacement radio I got was not the same brand. I'm sorry I dont have that info right now on what they are using now. I think it is a power switch problem.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote