RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2018, 08:47 AM   #1

Unhappy Outside storage compartments getting wet

Hello all and TIA for any suggestions,

I have an 04 Itasca Sunrise 32V. Two of my outside storage compartments are getting wet when it rains. The one directly behind the drivers side and the last one on the passenger side. I cannot figure out where or how the rain is getting in but its getting worse. The passenger side compartment rubber seal was wet the whole way around but the drivers side seems to be coming in at the top left front corner of the compartment. Everything is getting mildew on it. I need to fix this issue asap.

It's driving me nuts! Please help!

Peggy

Rendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2018, 09:04 AM   #2

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
A new rubber seal should fix the passenger side, but it sounds like you will have to empty out the other one and do a little looking around. Get a flashlight and shine around in it after dark while someone watches from the outside.
Happy Glamping.

2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:25 AM   #3
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendon View Post
The one directly behind the drivers side and the last one on the passenger side. I cannot figure out where or how the rain is getting in but its getting worse. The passenger side compartment rubber seal was wet the whole way around but the drivers side seems to be coming in at the top left front corner of the compartment. Everything is getting mildew on it. I need to fix this issue asap.
Behind the drivers side what? Drivers front or rear tire?
Do you have large mud flaps installed? If not, mud flaps can stop all the spray coming off your tires which is probably causing this.

It you have no mud flaps, the water can be thrown up under the compartment and seep in from underneath thru cracks and seams in the bay compartment bottom and metal frame. On my front left front compartment, right behind the front tire I have a lot of electronics and fuses in that bay. As a precaution, I not only installed some large, custom mud flaps that I made, but I also got up under the chassis and water proofed the entire bottom of that compartment with several coats of 3M water sealant. You can also use a product like the link below. Just clean that area really good and apply several coats to totally water proof the bottom of that compartment.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005SGM0YK...A1TTB2MXHGYRTJ

On the back passenger bay...
Same thing, if you don't have large mud flaps get some. Then since that bay door seal is wet all around the door obviously isn't making good contact with the rubber seal...and there's really no way to adjust those doors to press tighter against that seal. A new seal could fix that, but ff upon inspection, that seal looks OK, what you could do as a fix is, go to HD and buy like a 3/8" wide, self adhesive roll of weather stripping and put that all around the inside of your door where the bay seal hits it when closed. That way you have the weather stripping on the door, pushing up against the seal in the bay and those together may seal off water getting in.

In the mean time, if you haven't already, empty everything out of those bays, go to Walmart and buy a little fan and begin to dry out those areas and then treat the mildew and get that musty smell out of there.

My 2 cents.

Good luck.
TEAM Martin & Joanie, FTers, RVM#181
2012 WGO Vista 35F, 5 ST, Toyo M122's/duallys, Centramatics (all around), TPMS, ScanGuage II, Safe T Plus, SS Rear Trac Bar, CHF (F/R), Koni FSD's, 2017 FORD Fiesta Toad, Escapees
Making Traveling, FTing and Our Motorhome "GREAT AGAIN".
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:28 PM   #4

Our MH(see sig) developed a leak in the compartment in front of drivers front wheel.
I finally looked up and noticed an access panel in the roof of that compartment. I removed the screws that hold the exterior panel in place (screws are inside compartment). That was the source of the water intrusion. I cleaned everything, applied permatex to the panel and replaced it. That stopped the water leak. That panel was for access to the leveling module that is under the floor- below the driver seat, so I moved that module into that compartment for easy access when it requires tweaking to automatically level.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy Read more at: John_F_Kennedy_1961
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:38 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendon View Post
Hello all and TIA for any suggestions,

I have an 04 Itasca Sunrise 32V. Two of my outside storage compartments are getting wet when it rains. The one directly behind the drivers side and the last one on the passenger side. I cannot figure out where or how the rain is getting in but its getting worse. The passenger side compartment rubber seal was wet the whole way around but the drivers side seems to be coming in at the top left front corner of the compartment. Everything is getting mildew on it. I need to fix this issue asap.

It's driving me nuts! Please help!

Peggy
I have a compartment that gets wet from time to time. My problem is with the handles on some plastic storage bins. I removed the handles and now the door closes snug against the gasket.
I had another compartment leak that I could not find for the longest time. It turned out to be a hidden leak under a factory seam over the compartment that was not sealed correctly. It looked good but it was not.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:03 AM   #6

If either of the compartments have lights in the ceiling remove the lenses and check for signs of water. The compartments in our 2001 Adventurer had ceiling lights and from time to time we would find the compartment floors wet. After a lot of searching we found water could enter the light fixture from above where the wire penetrates the cabinet.

After a while the lens would fill and drain into the cabinet. I removed the fixtures and applied a little RTV to the screw holes and where the wire penetrated the cabinet. Problem solved
Old 01-01-2019, 03:28 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I had many small leaks, but they made a big mess of things in my compartments. And this is on a new rig!

I put a powerful shop light in the compartment, closed the door tightly, and crawled under and around the outside of the compartment at night. Everyplace light shown through got the caulk treatment. A heavy black rubbery stuff. It is very easy to see what is going on with cracks, seams, and screw penetrations with this method. (It is also very easy to see the lack of care and concern at the factory.)

Nice to have dry compartments now!
Old 01-02-2019, 08:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
A new rubber seal should fix the passenger side, but it sounds like you will have to empty out the other one and do a little looking around. Get a flashlight and shine around in it after dark while someone watches from the outside.
Happy Glamping.
Thank you for this tip! Everyone has been very helpful and I will try all suggestions till I find the culprit!!
Old 01-02-2019, 08:09 AM   #9

Awesome suggestion! I will try everything!! Thanks so much!
Old 01-02-2019, 08:10 AM   #10

Thanks everyone for your help! Greatly appreciated!
Old 01-02-2019, 11:44 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I finally solved leaking problems and two of my compartments by wire brushing the outside of the compartment seams everywhere I could reach, then sealing every seam I could reach with my finger and silicone caulk, and then I put two layers of spray-on auto undercoat everywhere I could reach on the outside of the compartment. I had already done seals and numerous other things with no success. If you use the spray undercoat, be sure to mask off any area you don't want the stuff to get on including your tires. But if you do get some on the coach it can be removed with WD-40.

Tags
storage