Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Park brake

Would anyone know if the park gear (push pull knob on dash) is part of the transmission. i have a 1999 Winnebago Vectra and while on a recent trip the park brake would not release, Good Sam Road club sent a mechanic out and he disconnected it.
Coach has an Allison 6 speed transmission, 454 Chev gas engine. I was told that the park brake is not part of the Allison Transmission and that Winnebago installs it.
I would greatly appreciate some knowledgeable advise as to how and where I can can it repaired. I live in Avon Park, Fl.

Thank you,
Terry
tvan863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:53 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

i am no expert but ive read that generally gas motorhomes have the parking brake on the driveshaft. any truck repair shop should be able to fix it.
winniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:59 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvan863 View Post
Would anyone know if the park gear (push pull knob on dash) is part of the transmission. i have a 1999 Winnebago Vectra and while on a recent trip the park brake would not release, Good Sam Road club sent a mechanic out and he disconnected it.
Coach has an Allison 6 speed transmission, 454 Chev gas engine. I was told that the park brake is not part of the Allison Transmission and that Winnebago installs it.
I would greatly appreciate some knowledgeable advise as to how and where I can can it repaired. I live in Avon Park, Fl.

Thank you,
Terry
It will be more helpful if you can post which chassis you have. That said, because of the motor you listed, I'm ASSUMING you have a GM / Chevy P32 chassis which would have come with a GM 4 speed tranny (not Allison) and the infamous J71 Auto Apply Parking Brake (AAPB). The J71 AAPB is NOT part of the tranny, but rather is a drive-line drum & brake shoe contraption that is known to have caused lots of grief. If yours has actually been "dis-connected" then you have NO parking brake and only your jacks or wheel chocks can prevent the coach from rolling away. There is no "park" in the tranny, even though your gear shift selector may show "Park".

IF my assumtions are correct, then you need to contact [email protected] via email because HE is the acknowledged EXPERT on all things related to the J71 AAPB. Roger has helped hundreds of owners and his advice is both free and legendary. Good luck, and please be careful until you get all this sorted out. Ed
Old 01-24-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

The 1999 Vectra Grand Tours were on the Chevrolet P12 chassis. They are quite rare. Had Allison 4 speed transmissions. You might try over at the Workhorse forum. I think there's even a Yahoo group or something like that for P12 owners. Google is your friend....

Found the Yahoo group:

P12 Yahoo Group

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:29 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
The 1999 Vectra Grand Tours were on the Chevrolet P12 chassis. They are quite rare. Had Allison 4 speed transmissions. ....
tderonne: I'm sure you're right about that, sorry I didn't remember that. I'm thinking Newmar "may" have used a few, but as you said "They are quite rare"

Do you know if that Allison included a parking pawl, or did the P12 still need the J71? I'm asking because the OP said a tech had disconnected his parking brake. THANKS !
Ed
Old 01-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Terry, you are close to a good motorhome repair facility. Just north of you is a shop called Bryans (863) 638-2374. It is on the southbound side of 27 just south of the new industrial park in South Lake Wales. Many of the owners in our park have had their units worked on by these people and swear by them. Hope this helps you out.
Ret Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:41 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I agree with Edgray. Roger(oldusedbear11) recently repaired my J71 actuator cylinder. He's a great guy also and VERY knowledgeable about the Auto Park Brake.
garrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Do you know if that Allison included a parking pawl, or did the P12 still need the J71? I'm asking because the OP said a tech had disconnected his parking brake. THANKS !
Ed
Don't know. Just know of the P12. A guy I know worked on it and it's replacement for GM before Workhorse took over. Just wanted to be sure we kept on the right path here.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:40 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

I was told that Allison does not install the Park Brake (by Allison) and to contact Winnebago; Winnebago advised they do not install it that it is part of the chassis and to contact Chevrolet, I called several Chev dealers and they know nothing about it. I'm very thankful for iRV2 members, your a great community.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:30 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Hey Thanks "RET SMOKY" I'm taking coach into Bryan's today. I assume "SMOKY" refers to HP LEO, I'm a Private Investigator.
Again Thank you for your info.
Terry
Old 01-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvan863 View Post
I was told.....Winnebago advised they do not install it that it is part of the chassis and to contact Chevrolet, I called several Chev dealers and they know nothing about it. I'm very thankful for iRV2 members, your a great community.
So, again, IF you have the GM J71 AAPB nightmare, commonly known as the "parking brake", do yourself a favor and investigate it through Roger at: [email protected] His advice is free to all who seek it via email. Good luck.
Ed

Tags
brake