Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-25-2016, 10:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Pleasant Surprise, 2016 Winnie and Battery Switch

Just had to check something out in the RV and plugged in shore power first, then in the dark, walked around to entry and noticed the coach battery switch was lit. I was sure I had turned it off the last time I was in it, oh well, old man syndrome.

Leaving, try to turn it off and it won't. Disconnect shore power and its off and disconnected. Appears they have AC wired thru the battery relay, where, if RV has AC power available, coach battery relay is closed. Nice!
747Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 09:12 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747Driver View Post
Just had to check something out in the RV and plugged in shore power first, then in the dark, walked around to entry and noticed the coach battery switch was lit. I was sure I had turned it off the last time I was in it, oh well, old man syndrome.

Leaving, try to turn it off and it won't. Disconnect shore power and its off and disconnected. Appears they have AC wired thru the battery relay, where, if RV has AC power available, coach battery relay is closed. Nice!
Interesting... Did you notice if the battery coach power turns itself off as you disconnect the AC power?
Old 11-26-2016, 09:55 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Yup, it turned off when shore power removed.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:03 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

When plugged in, your converter supplies 12 volts to the systems in your motorhome. Your indicator light is on that of the disconnect relay, so it goes on when you plug in.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:10 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I can go out, without shore power and select the battery on and lite will come on, indicating batteries are connected. Switch works the same as old 2003 Winne without shore power. Different with.

Now with the generator, battery switch must be on to start and will shut down when battery disconnected, so that is the same as old one.
Old 11-26-2016, 12:39 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

What is different when shorepower is hooked up and the switch is off? No 12 volt stuff? That would be different...

Wish Winnebago would go back to publishing 12 volt schematics, real easy to see any differences. Oh well.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 01:58 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Upon further review, it appears that anytime 120volt AC is available, I am unable to disconnect the Coach Battery. Just tried it with the genny running and selected off and the genny kept running and lite in switch stayed on. Having selected off with the switch, lite still on, when the genny is shut down, all power shuts off, and lite in switch is out.

On the '03, turning the battery off, shut the genny down, due to lose of DC.

This battery switch is a three position switch that returns to center, where the '03 was a two position switch and stayed in last position.

Maybe due it being by the door and the chance of the switch being bumped, this was a fix. I like it. I only lose the ability to shut down genny by using the battery switch, which was an easy way to completely shut it down when dry camping.

Tags
battery, switch